1994 FZJ80 with 95'+ Cats and Muffler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
PO hacked out the catalytic converters and from what I understand my 94" had 2 upstream O2 sensors on each pipe that led to each Cat. I found 95'+ setup with 2 manifold pipes into one single cat that should bolt right up to a 95'+ Muffler. My question is since there originally were 2 upstream 02 sensors and now only 1 upstream bung, could I splice the 2 leads to the one sensor? Any help is appreciated, and has anyone done this?

Would not splice the leads together. The best solution is to remove the PAIR system and place the O2 sensors in the exhaust manifold where the tubing from the PAIR was connected.
The original O2 sensor bungs were cut out along with the Cats. I would think the cost of repairing and custom welding in new cat and pipes would be more than a replacement Cat/Muffler combo for a 95'+ cruiser. I couldn't find replacements for 93-94'.

i had new bungs and multiple other repairs done on my exhaust a few years age and it was around 300-350 for all of the work and materials, it might be worth while to call around to some local shops and see what they can give you as an estimate. another option as mentioned above is remove the pair system and move the o2 sensors to the manifolds

The original O2 sensor bungs were cut out along with the Cats. I would think the cost of repairing and custom welding in new cat and pipes would be more than a replacement Cat/Muffler combo for a 95'+ cruiser. I couldn't find replacements for 93-94'.

The relocation of the O2 sensors I suggested will allow you do use the 95+ parts. No custom fabrication required. There are several threads that detail that if you search.

The relocation of the O2 sensors I suggested will allow you do use the 95+ parts. No custom fabrication required. There are several threads that detail that if you search.
Thanks! Sorry I misunderstood what you meant by the PAIR system, I'll check it out.

Thanks! Sorry I misunderstood what you meant by the PAIR system, I'll check it out.
I have had my O2 in my 94 in the PAIR location for about 8 years with no problems and no codes. Works great. Also keeps the O2 plugs dry and free from corrosion which will cause engine codes.

Personally I would like to get rid of my cats. I dont mind them.other than they rattle like crazy and I dont have to do emissions where I am. But I dont trust exhaust shops to not mess something up. What I want is for them to remove the oem cat. Cut the flanges off and weld inadvertently straight pipe using the oem flanges from the car. That way everything bolt up just like oem with no mods to the rest of my exhaust. My exhaust has 330,000 mess on it and is going strong other than the cat rattling. I have no interest in aftermarket exhaust stuff.

I dont know if removing the cat will effect anything with exhaust sound or function.

I have the O2 sensors in the PAIR locations. I also have the Magnaflow y-pipe mated to a 94' muffler-back exhaust (since I have a 94). I have a custom bent flanged connecting pipe between the y-pipe and OE muffler then Walker rear section. So I am only running the single Magnaflow cat instead of the side-by-side '94 converters. Has been great for the 5-6 years I've been running it.

Thanks Guys, I removed the PAIR System and plugged the vacuum hose at the hard line, and was able to install O2 sensors in the manifold and the check engine light is no longer lit up, its a great feeling! Seems to be starting harder than it did, I disconnected the battery, any other reset instructions?

Many, including myself, have relocated 93-94 sensors up to the exhaust manifold with great results. I thought mine ran better but probably just my imagination.

Thanks Guys, I removed the PAIR System and plugged the vacuum hose at the hard line, and was able to install O2 sensors in the manifold and the check engine light is no longer lit up, its a great feeling! Seems to be starting harder than it did, I disconnected the battery, any other reset instructions?

Probably no real starting issue. Once I fix something, I'm hyper-sensitive to everything about the truck.

update: Fuel tank is rusted out and it was just super low on gas, so looks like I'm in the market for a fuel tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom