Builds 94 FZJ80 - Let the Adventure Ensue (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Obviously, you are not rig qualified…. :flipoff2: Have you replace the window runs? It liberates its self from the runs and/or separates from the channel that engages it with the regulator?

Obviously, you are not rig qualified…. :flipoff2: Have you replace the window runs? It liberates its self from the runs and/or separates from the channel that engages it with the regulator?
Hahahaha. Bite me :flipoff2:

I haven’t replaced any of the runs yet. I’m saving the mass purchase of runs, moulding, door seals, window seals, etc for my paint next year.

Despite a few minor setbacks, it occurred to me yesterday that my rig has come a long way. Much love to my internet friends on this forum for their help along the way.
From the previous owner’s neglect to my hands the rig has transformed. Phase 1 was/still is finishing the baseline, stripping and accessories/wiring, and cleaning up. I like everything to be clean, especially the engine and driveline components. Makes for easier inspections, diagnosis, and maintenance. It’s 101 stuff.
Thanks to @shocktower, I have a new used VAF coming. I also have new calipers on the way and my brake system will be complete for now.
Phase 2 will be paint…still deciding whether to stay with 6M1…
Phase 3 will be armor. The plan is to give @Delta VS a lot of my money when I hang up the uniform permanently next year.
For reference, here are pics of my engine before and after.
259CA875-A434-4ED7-840F-C4ED5A81D80D.jpeg
CAADBA97-59F1-4443-8A40-26FBFA4E6C75.jpeg
34C8E032-94E4-48E7-970B-9902BB19A553.jpeg
38B97AE4-A50C-4052-9AED-ED97293C042F.jpeg

Last edited:
Hahahaha. Bite me :flipoff2:

I haven’t replaced any of the runs yet. I’m saving the mass purchase of runs, moulding, door seals, window seals, etc for my paint next year.
Roll up the window. Unhook the electrical to the motor. Never unroll it again. Problem solved. :rofl: :flipoff2:

If the kids/ dogs/ in-laws need to sit in the back and don't like it and there's only one "good" side to sit on, let them figure it out among themselves, glory-dome style. If they still don't like it, tell them to drive their own car. If they don't have a car, the phrase "my point exactly" should be applied liberally.

İt looks very nice. Good luck. Please do not leave us unannounced during this process. Hello to everyone. :)

Is the window aligned properly on the regulator? If I'm understanding correctly, the rear roller would pop off of the regulator track correct? There is a really good thread about this somewhere in the forum. I read it and proceeded to follow about 40% of it for my passenger rear window. It hasn't come off again, but I do still have a switch/relay issue leading to that location.
that shiny new intake tube has my wallet finger twitching.
Edit; re-read the above, and it seems you were having a bigger issue than just a roller getting out of the regulator. My fingers are crossed for you going forward.

The following is an update from my other troubleshooting thread. I wanted to update my thread with the same info with some additional photos and part number info.

Update: Today I got @shocktower VAF he sold to me. He's a great dude and I'm thankful.
Here are some pics. Let’s see if you can spot a difference. The one off my cruiser is on the right.
467B4AED-18BF-45F1-9E4D-F1FB5F94702F.jpeg

The one off my cruiser is cleaner and looks to have been painted. Which got me thinking. Here is the bottom of mine. You can zoom in and see where it has been painted if it isn’t obvious already. I suspect this VAF has been opened and tampered with by an eBay dude who sells refurbished VAFs. I also bought and returned a VAF he sold me. I don’t want to say anything publicly so if you want my experience, PM me and I’ll share
Thanks again to @shocktower for helping me out.
751253FA-B5D0-4C56-B630-09E8FC2F7924.jpeg

Here is the one shocktower sent me:
5F2FD252-1832-4F16-A23B-10DFAF156C3A.jpeg

Now that I have both VAFs side by side, I began comparing values. When shooting for continuity on pins E2 and VS, both VAFs got similar values with the door closed and full open.
Then I compared pin THA on both VAFs and looks as though my THA pin off the cruiser is dead. I shot this the last time and it was functional but it has since failed as I’m shooting open every time.
It never occurred to me that my VAF looked a little too good. I have never seen another VAF so that’s my alibis.
Bottom line, I think this is the culprit but time will tell.
btw, my gasket between the VAF and air filter housing was blown out like a b-hole
85C7295A-9DA8-415C-84ED-E14F7EFBD144.jpeg
522D05D5-0D56-4B1C-BB46-9019710DD757.jpeg
A3EAC9B4-F72A-40B2-95BB-B1D5AB8EFC89.jpeg

Pell, I had a helluva time with a similar gasket on my 87 SR5 mini truck, the little washer deals were missing the gasket was a hot mess and busted, and NLA for that rig. Glad you were able to get it sorted.

On to windows: I have wrestled with my rear, and front windows as well. Taking the window out and seating it into the channel properly was a solution, albeit temporary, for me, but the true path forward is new runs. I did take out my runs and clean them with a straw cleaner/ pipe cleaner (found them in the cleaning asile Lowes) that helped a bit, but they suck and I still haven't replaced them. I just keep the window lock engaged so my kids dont keep getting them stuck down to say hi to our neighbors when its raining.

Finally your shiny engine: These photos are the kind of thing that are difficult to look at. Meticulous cleaning, chasing oil leaks in a logical and linear way. It's the kind of thing that raises the bar and makes my truck jealous of the attention your truck gets. In all seriousness thanks for posting your progress, it helps keep the motivation up to do the work (and spend the coin)!

Pell, I had a helluva time with a similar gasket on my 87 SR5 mini truck, the little washer deals were missing the gasket was a hot mess and busted, and NLA for that rig. Glad you were able to get it sorted.

On to windows: I have wrestled with my rear, and front windows as well. Taking the window out and seating it into the channel properly was a solution, albeit temporary, for me, but the true path forward is new runs. I did take out my runs and clean them with a straw cleaner/ pipe cleaner (found them in the cleaning asile Lowes) that helped a bit, but they suck and I still haven't replaced them. I just keep the window lock engaged so my kids dont keep getting them stuck down to say hi to our neighbors when its raining.

Finally your shiny engine: These photos are the kind of thing that are difficult to look at. Meticulous cleaning, chasing oil leaks in a logical and linear way. It's the kind of thing that raises the bar and makes my truck jealous of the attention your truck gets. In all seriousness thanks for posting your progress, it helps keep the motivation up to do the work (and spend the coin)!
You’re too kind Greg, I’m blushing. I have a ways to go but all in due time. I really appreciate your kind words. I won’t lose sight of the fact that you helped me along my journey. I’m looking forward to sharing a couple thin-ones 🥃 with you one day.

Unfortunately, I have to replace ALL the glass due to scratches and along with that, I plan to get all new rubber associated with the windows and doors. It isn’t cheap but it’ll be worth it once I get it painted and replace all of it.

I’m more than likely going to ship the cruiser out to Kelly Saad in Flagstaff, AZ next summer-ish. I like his work and he is a prominent member here so my money will be well-spent. He’s also allowing me to ship all my crap to him for storage until my cruiser gets there.

We have some plans in the works and I’m very excited on design but don’t want to give too much away. I’m still undecided on color but in keeping with the original color scheme, I’m thinking Toyota Spruce Green. Maybe two-tone but definitely a white roof. It’s all time and money right?

You’re too kind Greg, I’m blushing. I have a ways to go but all in due time. I really appreciate your kind words. I won’t lose sight of the fact that you helped me along my journey. I’m looking forward to sharing a couple thin-ones 🥃 with you one day.

Unfortunately, I have to replace ALL the glass due to scratches and along with that, I plan to get all new rubber associated with the windows and doors. It isn’t cheap but it’ll be worth it once I get it painted and replace all of it.

I’m more than likely going to ship the cruiser out to Kelly Saad in Flagstaff, AZ next summer-ish. I like his work and he is a prominent member here so my money will be well-spent. He’s also allowing me to ship all my crap to him for storage until my cruiser gets there.

We have some plans in the works and I’m very excited on design but don’t want to give too much away. I’m still undecided on color but in keeping with the original color scheme, I’m thinking Toyota Spruce Green. Maybe two-tone but definitely a white roof. It’s all time and money right?
Yessir, drams for sure 🥃. I’ll bring a fine bottle to celebrate your service when you hang the uniform up and finish the build!

When you bring your rig to the west coast I’ll be looking forward to a lunch with you Pell.

I’m still undecided on color but in keeping with the original color scheme, I’m thinking Toyota Spruce Green. Maybe two-tone but definitely a white roof. It’s all time and money right?
Might I suggest the Spruce Mica from 2012-2013 Tacoma's. My '12 Taco is Spruce Mica and has really held up great the last ten years. It also has a slight gold metallic that shows through when in the sun. IMHO it's the best of the Toyota greens.

Might I suggest the Spruce Mica from 2012-2013 Tacoma's. My '12 Taco is Spruce Mica and has really held up great the last ten years. It also has a slight gold metallic that shows through when in the sun. IMHO it's the best of the Toyota greens.
That was the exact color I was thinking about, just messed up the name. I saw a taco on island and a 4Runner with that color and I liked it a lot. Nothing against the 6M1, I like it but it’s too light a shade for my taste. The Spruce Mica is gorgeous and dark.
Thanks for the clarification, I’m excited to get this project going but have to remain patient.
Btw, the trucks running really good so far but still in the process of shakedown runs. Very promising thus far.

That was the exact color I was thinking about, just messed up the name. I saw a taco on island and a 4Runner with that color and I liked it a lot. Nothing against the 6M1, I like it but it’s too light a shade for my taste. The Spruce Mica is gorgeous and dark.
Thanks for the clarification, I’m excited to get this project going but have to remain patient.
Btw, the trucks running really good so far but still in the process of shakedown runs. Very promising thus far.
Did the used VAFM fix your code 24?

Did the used VAFM fix your code 24?
Code 24 was intermittent and code 31 was constant. Changed out the VAF and so far it’s been about 180 miles with no codes, no idle fluctuations, no stutter etc. been running like a champ.
Did you see my post comparing the VAF that cam off my truck? I’m pretty sure it’s been opened and repaired in the past.

BTW, love the color of spruce mica. Thanks for the comparison shot, this is exactly what I’m after; with a few tweaks that I’ll share as the plans get more solidified.

Code 24 was intermittent and code 31 was constant. Changed out the VAF and so far it’s been about 180 miles with no codes, no idle fluctuations, no stutter etc. been running like a champ.
Did you see my post comparing the VAF that cam off my truck? I’m pretty sure it’s been opened and repaired in the past.

BTW, love the color of spruce mica. Thanks for the comparison shot, this is exactly what I’m after; with a few tweaks that I’ll share as the plans get more solidified.
Yep I saw the pics of the old vs new VAF. Someone definitely tampered with the original one. Was it sent off to the ebay repair guy and he messed it up or was it like that when you bought the LC? I've got an old one that I had boogered up before replacing with new/used one. I was going to send the old one to the ebay guy, but now I don't think so much.

Yep I saw the pics of the old vs new VAF. Someone definitely tampered with the original one. Was it sent off to the ebay repair guy and he messed it up or was it like that when you bought the LC? I've got an old one that I had boogered up before replacing with new/used one. I was going to send the old one to the ebay guy, but now I don't think so much.
The Vaf looked like that when I bought it. I assume the PO sent it in for repair to the eBay guy but that’s just a guess. Others have had good luck with him and he says he’s been doing this repair for ~10 years. I assume he has a good track record but I only know of one guy on here @JunkCrzr89 who has had his service.
I’m considering sending mine in for repair again but I’d rather just buy another used VAF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom