Builds 94 FZJ80 - Let the Adventure Ensue (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After removing the PAIR, my throttle cable bracket didn’t sit high enough. I read on here these brackets were NLA but I pulled the trigger on one and it came in. Much better.
8ADB55F2-30E4-4461-A5D6-4EDB9046B7C5.jpeg

Hey. Good to see the progress and some more beach and water pics. I'll live vicariously through them. I think you've sold me on the Weathertech mats as well. I've got the AVM? or whatever the cut-to-fit ones from Costco are called right now. I ended up getting my "tall" cable bracket from one of the used parts guys on the forum, did you find it in partsouq?

Hey. Good to see the progress and some more beach and water pics. I'll live vicariously through them. I think you've sold me on the Weathertech mats as well. I've got the AVM? or whatever the cut-to-fit ones from Costco are called right now. I ended up getting my "tall" cable bracket from one of the used parts guys on the forum, did you find it in partsouq?
Hey Mike, thanks for the words. Love the Weathertech, I like that they’re made in the USA and their quality is phenomenal. The few beach trips with them have been invaluable in keeping the fine Hawaiian beach sand out of my carpets. Additionally, whenever the kids eat or drink anything inside the cruiser, it looks like a pack of hyenas had their way with an elephant carcass. All contained on the ol’ weathertechs!

Regarding the bracket, partsouq didn’t have it available so I bought it through Genuine Toyota Parts - Wholesale Prices | Modern Toyota Parts - https://wholesaledirect.moderntoyota.com/

I like these guys. They’re prices are competitive albeit they take a little bit to ship (~7 work days). A phone call is all it took for them to verify they could get the parts I wanted even though they weren’t in their stock.

Look at the reflection of the clouds on that pristine hood! Oh wait, that’s just my s***ty oxidized paint 🙁. That’s okay, she runs like a dream.
8F29E493-E67C-458E-9091-6D0417452D1F.jpeg
My kiddos are doing their part for beach cleanup! It was a windy and relatively chilly Easter Day for us but it was still beautiful to be out amongst nature.
27C99C1C-EB79-4277-A44E-6D4E08AEC36E.jpeg

Little bits here and there getting done. I still have a mountain of parts to get through but that’s scheduled for May. In the meantime, I tried extending my breathers and was successful for the front and rear diff. As for the t-case and tranny? Yeah not so much. I had a helluva time finding them. I found numerous threads with some subjective photos that didn’t help me much and since I was in doubt, I shelved that plan for now. Here are some terrible pics for you without any frame of reference whatsoever.
36FC20C9-BEF1-4ED2-89C2-3C06B94F838C.jpeg
A10555C0-1570-4FCF-B5C6-0EBDFE4F5F9C.jpeg

Then I got myself an EGR temp sensor kit from Huddexpo, @LC4LIFE. Great service, fast shipping and 10/10 will buy from again.
1F5B527F-7409-451E-904F-838C87FFA6C9.jpeg
35768B58-7C9A-46AA-8549-BADBBE5732B0.jpeg

That’s a wrap for now.

Going back to your throttle cable retention bracket; did you "plastidip" the little cable hook end or did it ship that way? I've seen pictures with a lot of them and they all look like bare metal. Just curious.

Going back to your throttle cable retention bracket; did you "plastidip" the little cable hook end or did it ship that way? I've seen pictures with a lot of them and they all look like bare metal. Just curious.
It shipped that way.

After removing the PAIR, my throttle cable bracket didn’t sit high enough. I read on here these brackets were NLA but I pulled the trigger on one and it came in. Much better. View attachment 2634694
Where did you order the accelerator bracket? Also, which island are you on?

Mild trip to see albatross and their hatchlings last weekend. Can’t believe how big these birds are...YUGE. The biggest birds ever, I mean they’re the biggest in the world, never has there been a bigger more YUGE bird. The cruiser performed perfectly. Had to navigate through mud but this trail is mild. Scraped my bumper once or twice along some sections but otherwise really chill drive. Out of season for whale watching but my wife saw another breaching whale and I saw several fountains of ocean water whisping into the air indicating whales in the area. My kids had a blast and we picked up more trash along the way and found what I believe to be a WWII shell casing (still have to get it authenticated).
75BCEAB8-DC1B-4C34-8C14-01E3ECF29E95.jpeg
A2A391DF-35B3-4C83-983E-411582346872.jpeg
95A9E834-3D06-4E6C-A270-D57CF7662E55.jpeg

Last edited:
Today, I embarked on a maintenance journey that I hope will increase my wrenching abilities. Like many of you, I’ve researched until I was blue in the face but I’ve found sometimes too much research can be debilitating because people have their own way of doing things and then research can devolve into a paralysis by analysis situation. I defer to the FSM but the pictures leave much to be desired. I’m a hands-on and visual learner so I rely on you guys to help with that, and I thank you.

I have been delaying preventive maintenance for a few months. I spent the last few months of ownership tinkering with my truck and learning the feel of it. I bought all new OEM parts before I had the truck delivered so when the time came to replace them, I’d have them. Well, that time has come.

First started with the removal of the “AC Delco” radiator, even though it was fine and in decent condition, I have a new OEM one in a box that I want to install. I flushed all the coolant out first and ran regular hose water for the next two flushes. Then I flushed with distilled water 3 more times. The fluid looked fine but what threw me off was the color. It was red when it came out but it also had a green iridescent hue to it in the light. Maybe it was mixed with red and green sometime in the past. With the removal of the radiator, all the cooling lines, thermostat came out and it didn't open per the FSM until a much higher temperature, firewall hoses, heater control valve, water pump, and the PHH.
IMG_1013.jpeg

IMG_1012.jpeg

IMG_0996.jpeg

Before beginning the PHH, out came the Chinese fuel filter and Mexican starter (unlike some people, I’m not confused as to where mine was made and if I can flip it to offset my costs…it’s going in the trash).

IMG_1004.jpeg

IMG_1003.jpeg

I cannot believe how much of a pain in the ass the PHH was. It’s a simple job but damn it I have huge forearms (super buff-NOT!) and that didn’t help. I used the constant tension breeze clamps but I found that when I torque the clamp by the engine block, it will slip the PHH off and I’d have to start over. I finally got it to seat by reducing the torque on the clamp but I’m concerned with the line staying in place during operation. I’ll keep an eye on it for sure.
IMG_1005.jpeg

I’m cleaning as I go and trying not to rush myself. I’m waiting on the crank-case holding tool by OTRAMM along with a torque-wrench and will get after the front main seal and oil pump cover gasket once I get the rest of my tools delivered. I don’t want to mess with the 14mm socket idea as I’m not confident in my mechanical abilities and I don’t want to jack anything up. I have some idea of where it goes but I’m leery of using that technique anyway.

I rewrapped my engine harness too. I didn't like the PO's job and I wanted to reapply the firesleeve that I installed. A few months back. Ended up retaping and resizing the firesleeve despite my EGR being disabled.
IMG_1001.jpeg

IMG_1002.jpeg

IMG_0997.jpeg

Phase two of this maintenance operation is to get after the valve cover gasket, plugs, seals, distributor, plug wires, and finish off with a power steering flush. Phase two starts today.

A few epiphanies to share:
1. I am mildly to moderately stupid

2. My mind is still 16 yo but my body is old af

3. I never have enough tools

4. @BILT4ME s my internet mechanic mentor whether he knows it or not

Getting after it! Nice work.

Today, I embarked on a maintenance journey that I hope will increase my wrenching abilities. Like many of you, I’ve researched until I was blue in the face but I’ve found sometimes too much research can be debilitating because people have their own way of doing things and then research can devolve into a paralysis by analysis situation. I defer to the FSM but the pictures leave much to be desired. I’m a hands-on and visual learner so I rely on you guys to help with that, and I thank you.

I have been delaying preventive maintenance for a few months. I spent the last few months of ownership tinkering with my truck and learning the feel of it. I bought all new OEM parts before I had the truck delivered so when the time came to replace them, I’d have them. Well, that time has come.

First started with the removal of the “AC Delco” radiator, even though it was fine and in decent condition, I have a new OEM one in a box that I want to install. I flushed all the coolant out first and ran regular hose water for the next two flushes. Then I flushed with distilled water 3 more times. The fluid looked fine but what threw me off was the color. It was red when it came out but it also had a green iridescent hue to it in the light. Maybe it was mixed with red and green sometime in the past. With the removal of the radiator, all the cooling lines, thermostat came out and it didn't open per the FSM until a much higher temperature, firewall hoses, heater control valve, water pump, and the PHH.View attachment 2669806

View attachment 2669808

View attachment 2669811
Before beginning the PHH, out came the Chinese fuel filter and Mexican starter (unlike some people, I’m not confused as to where mine was made and if I can flip it to offset my costs…it’s going in the trash).

View attachment 2669812
View attachment 2669813

I cannot believe how much of a pain in the ass the PHH was. It’s a simple job but damn it I have huge forearms (super buff-NOT!) and that didn’t help. I used the constant tension breeze clamps but I found that when I torque the clamp by the engine block, it will slip the PHH off and I’d have to start over. I finally got it to seat by reducing the torque on the clamp but I’m concerned with the line staying in place during operation. I’ll keep an eye on it for sure.
View attachment 2669814

I’m cleaning as I go and trying not to rush myself. I’m waiting on the crank-case holding tool by OTRAMM along with a torque-wrench and will get after the front main seal and oil pump cover gasket once I get the rest of my tools delivered. I don’t want to mess with the 14mm socket idea as I’m not confident in my mechanical abilities and I don’t want to jack anything up. I have some idea of where it goes but I’m leery of using that technique anyway.

I rewrapped my engine harness too. I didn't like the PO's job and I wanted to reapply the firesleeve that I installed. A few months back. Ended up retaping and resizing the firesleeve despite my EGR being disabled.
View attachment 2669816
View attachment 2669817
View attachment 2669818

Phase two of this maintenance operation is to get after the valve cover gasket, plugs, seals, distributor, plug wires, and finish off with a power steering flush. Phase two starts today.

A few epiphanies to share:
1. I am mildly to moderately stupid

2. My mind is still 16 yo but my body is old af

3. I never have enough tools

4. @BILT4ME s my internet mechanic mentor whether he knows it or not
@BILT4ME is my soundboard as well. Had the pleasure of meeting him during my short stint in Kansas. Great guy 👍🏽

@BILT4ME is my soundboard as well. Had the pleasure of meeting him during my short stint in Kansas. Great guy 👍🏽
I'm hatching a plan to one day meet him and make him adopt me so he can teach me everything about cruisers in person.

Okay, got the valve cover removed...how does this look? Doesn't look great to me but I have no damn clue what I'm looking at or for. There are deposits that I don't think should be there and I'm not sure what else. More research for me.
Edit* FWIW, I run Shell Rotella but only used it once since I bought it. The oil is only a few months old so when I'm done with this, I'm going to send a sample to Blackstone. Perhaps, I'll increase the oil change frequency too.
IMG_1016.jpeg
IMG_1017.jpeg
IMG_1018.jpeg
IMG_1019.jpeg
IMG_1020.jpeg
IMG_1021.jpeg
IMG_1022.jpeg
IMG_1023.jpeg
IMG_1024.jpeg

I might begin another thread about this but not after researching first.

Last edited:
Okay, got the valve cover removed...how does this look? Doesn't look great to me but I have no damn clue what I'm looking at or for. There are deposits that I don't think should be there and I'm not sure what else. More research for me.
View attachment 2670076View attachment 2670077View attachment 2670078View attachment 2670082View attachment 2670086View attachment 2670087View attachment 2670088View attachment 2670093View attachment 2670094
I might begin another thread about this but not after researching first.
Im not sure what looking at it all means either, but clean the valve cover (i would paint the outside because I paint everything), and clean the inside of the throttle body. All the hoses you can reach on the plenum/EGR replace if you haven't.

The top of the throttle body where the carbon is built up, where the hole is on the plenum, clean that area and where it leads. May help if you have the P0401 code.

If you can, remove the top plenum and completely clean and change hoses.

Good work and a fun read..... takes me back a few years to those many months of baselining. :cheers:

Im not sure what looking at it all means either, but clean the valve cover (i would paint the outside because I paint everything), and clean the inside of the throttle body. All the hoses you can reach on the plenum/EGR replace if you haven't.

The top of the throttle body where the carbon is built up, where the hole is on the plenum, clean that area and where it leads. May help if you have the P0401 code.

If you can, remove the top plenum and completely clean and change hoses.
Copy on cleaning and replacing hoses, vac lines, etc. I'm going to stop for the day and let my body recover from the 12 hours of wrenching yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom