Builds 94 FZJ80 - Let the Adventure Ensue (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not true. Moderators and several members made it very clear that they didn’t like my posts, so I just moved it to a different platform. Plus I’m here all the time, mostly in the 40 section, just don’t post anymore.
Well I for one enjoyed your pictures. Glad your still around👍

Love my 94!!! It's at about 351K miles now on the original head and head gasket.... just oil changes..... (and a PHH scare/replacement)

But you gotta lose those brushguards ;)

What’s up you guys? Haven’t been able to do much of anything due to work stupid commitments. We are doing a large-scale exercise across multiple service branches and I got lucky and got on night shift. For those of you who haven’t had to deal with exhilarating military exercises, the night train is the right train. It’s best for exercises but not so much for being a human being around the family or working on the cruiser. Anyhow, I got a few things done but nothing major.

After chasing down some rats nest of wiring issues caused by POs, I noticed the aft side marker bulbs were burnt out so replaced those. Fixed up the rest of the wiring by taping up exposed wires and tidying the wiring looms.

More inspections of my cruiser revealed improper lug nuts on the wheels. I went onto partsouq and ordered up 24 of them at approximately $3 per nut (Part #90942-01081). The local dealer here didn’t have them in stock and was charging $11 and change for each nut. Yeah, hard pass. Got those installed today and observed the shallow shank lugs that came off weren’t maintaining proper torque. Spun right off without much force.

Next was the tired and broken and bent antennae (Part # 86336-60040). I got one in from partsouq and installed it. My antennae goes up and down without issue but makes the common-ish banging sound when pressing the button beyond the full down or up position. Non-issue for me; it works.
View attachment 2587733View attachment 2587734

Next on the list was draining and filling the diffs. I got under the truck to find the front diff, removed the fill plug first and saw the bottom had been banged up against some rocks which in turn bent and scraped the bung over the drain bolt. It could’ve been much worse but it was bent in such a way I couldn’t get my 24mm socket to fit the tight hole. I got the dremel out and ground down/cut the damaged portion of the bung away and also gave my socket a grind to create flat spot to enable the fitment. Got that knocked out and then basically busted a few blood vessels wrestling the drain lug out from the bottom of the diff. My 10yo was helping me but really this plug was super tight. Got the truck up on some ramps and positioned myself in such a way to use my hips for additional leverage and finally took it out. After changing my underwear, I collected the diff fluid and it looked like ass. It looked like green and black sludge and suspect the axel seal failed allowing diff fluid to migrate into the knuckle and vice versa. My FSM states to fill with 2.8 US Qts and fill until oil spills out of the fill port. My front diff took almost 4 qts before oil started coming out of the fill port. My FSM must be wrong. Anyway, trashed the old drain plug and replaced it with one from Cruiser Brothers which has the allen key (90341-18021).View attachment 2587735View attachment 2587736

View attachment 2587737
I'm having the same issue with my front diff plug - thank you for the tip

Love my 94!!! It's at about 351K miles now on the original head and head gasket.... just oil changes..... (and a PHH scare/replacement)

But you gotta lose those brushguards ;)
Those were removed in the first day or two👍🏽 I gotta get after my PHH and other baseline items, I don’t want to take too many chances.

The PHH isn’t so bad. It’s uncomfortable to work in there. Have you gotten a look at yours? It might be worth inspecting it...could be a good motivator to get in there and do it. Beyond the obvious worries about it blowing out and leaving you stranded due to age and deterioration, a slow leak may bathe the wiring connectors in coolant and cause you all sorts of issues with corrosion over time. I had this experience and got to do the PHH AND some wiring repair in that space.

I think the two little coolant hoses under the throttle body are just as important to change out as the PHH. One of those is what was leaking on mine causing all kinds of problems, mostly because it would leak on the hot engine and evaporate, so was super hard to figure out why the coolant was always low. It ruptured one day and spilled coolant over the driveway, lucky didn’t happen on the road somewhere.

The PHH isn’t so bad. It’s uncomfortable to work in there. Have you gotten a look at yours? It might be worth inspecting it...could be a good motivator to get in there and do it. Beyond the obvious worries about it blowing out and leaving you stranded due to age and deterioration, a slow leak may bathe the wiring connectors in coolant and cause you all sorts of issues with corrosion over time. I had this experience and got to do the PHH AND some wiring repair in that space.
I’ve taken a look, it looks fine but I have the parts (and then some) so I just need to do it. I plan on doing it after my March trip up to Kaneohe Bay beach cottages with my fam. That’s when I’m going to do everything I’d planned with the exception of my front main crank seal since I haven’t sourced a large enough torque wrench yet. Appreciate the wiring feedback, I’ll be sure to take a thorough look at it.

I think the two little coolant hoses under the throttle body are just as important to change out as the PHH. One of those is what was leaking on mine causing all kinds of problems, mostly because it would leak on the hot engine and evaporate, so was super hard to figure out why the coolant was always low. It ruptured one day and spilled coolant over the driveway, lucky didn’t happen on the road somewhere.
Thanks Jen, I’ll be checking those out too. This morning I took my family out on our second little adventure up to Kaena point. The cruiser did awesome. The rains started and everything turned slick and muddy and I learned when not to use my lockers...
27D4A221-A1EE-49CC-BABA-933538444BF2.jpeg

92B6D597-1679-4D97-8D48-3C3303A97FC0.jpeg

5BDC8CE4-0DAE-4C77-A9A1-C760520D8AEB.jpeg

4016F3AF-933C-4116-AAA2-5D6705E9B983.jpeg

Not true. Moderators and several members made it very clear that they didn’t like my posts, so I just moved it to a different platform. Plus I’m here all the time, mostly in the 40 section, just don’t post anymore.

That’s too bad. You had some great pics of Hawaii, it’s nice when you live in Calgary to see a tropical environment and some cruisers when it’s -20 or whatever here sometimes

That’s too bad. You had some great pics of “Hawaii”, it’s nice when you live in Calgary to see a tropical environment and some cruisers when it’s -20 or whatever here sometimes
Fixed it for you.

The people demand more Hawaii wheeling pictures!!! I need dreams of tropical sandy two tracks that end at cold beers and warm waves....:steer: seriously!

The people demand more Hawaii wheeling pictures!!! I need dreams of tropical sandy two tracks that end at cold beers and warm waves....:steer: seriously!
I’ll be sure to get on that. The ladies all saw a whale breaching like you’d see on National Geographic. My son and I missed it because we were out fn around. We’ll be coming back to this place to camp for sure. More Hawaii wheeling pics are definitely on the menu!

Alright, been busy with work and life these last couple of weeks. We went camping and the cruiser drove awesome. I’m gaining more and more confidence in it and I’m less interested in ripping the engine apart for maintenance. I know I have to and I should. It’s just so fun to drive, I don’t want to keep her down for a few weekends.
I need to get off the pot already. Today, I fitted her with side marker lights. It was weird cutting into a perfectly fine fender but I did it and I think it came out great. I slipped up with the grinder and did additional damage but the paint is wrecked anyway. Here is a pic:
7DC7E076-9744-412C-B13E-C6220A4A7C20.jpeg
I like the look of amber lights. I don’t prefer the clear lenses so there it is. Both sides match and both sides work.
Here’s my daughter enjoying the serenity.
2F67D716-609C-4077-B228-E9D141B8390C.jpeg

And here’s my favorite camping tool. The Snow Peak, Tabiki grill/fire pit.
CE9245CD-51DB-43C2-B516-D98E5A536C44.jpeg

Ooooo shiny Japanese engineered camping toys! Snow peak stuff is pretty awesome. Our family has been eyeing that firepan, it sure beats adding yet another sooty ring of stones to public lands.

Okay...after reading several accounts of other people experiencing rust from inspecting their rear deflector/spoiler and roof rack, I decided to inspect mine. Some surface rust was suspected from the little I could see but I dove right into it. I most of the bolts came right out, the others that weren’t so cooperative, I brought out the sawzall and made short work of them. I followed the numerous threads here and got a some assistance from @SUMMIT CRUISERS btw, thanks!

I didn’t weld anything as of yet as I’m plotting a full repaint once I get back to the CONUS. For now, I simply took it down to bare metal, removed the rust, laid rust prevention down and sealed everything up using JB Steel Stik. It worked well enough but I’m not 100% satisfied with it. Again, this is temporary until I retire next year. In the end, my cruiser is better protected and the roof looked better than before. I now have to let the base and clear continue drying before I get after some wet sanding and buffing.
31593ED7-96B2-4D71-AC4E-689C213CB2D9.jpeg
FD8B3BC8-3E06-44BD-A9C0-650BB1D47D75.jpeg
0CC88394-5878-4C42-9954-FED21DADDB80.jpeg

That is awesome. I’m afraid to dig in further to my ribs. Way to go! I’m inspired!

That is awesome. I’m afraid to dig in further to my ribs. Way to go! I’m inspired!
Thanks man! The ribs were fine, some surface rust but nothing major. I treated all the holes the same (sts). I love getting new parts in...but that means I also have to get to work! Shout out to @NLXTACY because that dude is the man who helps out military and first responders. When I run into him on the trail someday, I have some stogies specially set aside for him. And me of course😉
8AFB2A27-CA3A-405D-9309-7906BD954B71.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom