Builds 94 FZJ80 - Let the Adventure Ensue (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FMC80

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello fellow mudders! I wanted to say hello and introduce myself and my newly acquired 1994 FZJ-80. Haven’t thought of a name yet but I’m sure my kids will help decide it soon. Maybe I’ll name it FMC like my mud handle. “FMC” in the aircraft business means “Fully Mission Capable” and for a while under Maddog Mattis we were striving for an “MC” rate of 80% for the fighter fleets. Seems fitting for the mighty 80 for obvious reasons.

I was first introduced to the Land Cruiser in 2014 when two buddies who worked at Saudi ARAMCO bought two brand new, matching LCs and outfitted them from top to bottom for the sand dunes in Saudi Arabia. I was hooked and I wanted one for myself. Well, the USAF had different plans for me and sent me to Okinawa Japan where there are some sweet LCs but after almost pulling the trigger on a nice 1993 model, I changed my mind; I didn’t want a RHD. Anyway, I waited for my next assignment so I could get one but the USAF had its own plans again. This time we moved way north of Okinawa into a rural and beautiful area called Misawa, Japan. We went from the tropics to the snowiest city in the world. We loved it there but again, I wanted a LC so I’d have to wait. After my Misawa assignment was close to an end, I was all set to head to San Antonio where I tried buying a 2015 LC but the dealership didn’t do electronic/internet transactions. Just as well because the assignment to San Antonio changed to Langley, VA, then changed again to Hawaii. Whatever. Guess I wasn’t meant to have an LC at the time.

Despite Hawaii having the most Toyotas on the road per capita (especially Tacos), finding a clean LC is difficult. After about 8 months of searching, one popped up on mud in December. @Skippyd placed the Facebook marketplace ad on the Mud marketplace and I made the call. The truck was in Winnemucca NV… (ever heard of it? Not me). The dude bought it off an older couple from the PNW who fell on some hard times. The seller seemed genuine and after some back and forth along with some terribly grainy photos and facetime, I took a leap of faith and sent a deposit. I also took @Skippyd assessment of the vehicle into consideration. Hope he knows what he’s talking about! Lol

Now, I initially had plans to send this rig back to TN to be stored on my farm inside a nice environmentally controlled garage to await my return after retirement. I enlisted the help of @Riverrunner who is a great guy to deal with and don’t hesitate to hit him up for your transport needs. He was honest and very helpful in getting the logistics set up to get my truck picked up from Winnemucca and trucked to TN but my wife convinced me otherwise. I ended up having it shipped here so I can wrench on her and get her tight, neat, and wrinkle-free. After waiting about a month for the logistics to work out, she finally got on a ship and set sail for Hawaii.

Finally, after about 7 years of searching, almost buying a RHD 80 series, an overpriced 100 series, an amazingly priced 200 series, I finally got my FMC 80. Happy to be here and looking forward to interacting with you lot.
IMG_9979.JPG
DSCF1082.JPG
DSCF1080.JPG
DSCF1093.JPG
DSCF1084.JPG

Baseline plans:
Rotella 5W-40 with OEM filter (ASAP)
BH3D Front and rear double cupholders for that extra HP
ATF flush and fill (Valvoline)
Knuckles (Mt Fuji kit from @cruiserbros) Awesome to work with and fast on shipping
A metric ton of consumables from Partsouq. Love how they package the goods (so to speak) and how fast they come (sts)
Witsend hooked it up with some PHH, tools, and miscellaneous
OEM Vacuum lines
OEM Radiator and all new cooling lines
Toyota Red concentrate
Clamps throughout
Harness wrap from Aircraft Spruce (fantastic company, fast shipping, quality components)
OEM Starter
OEM Thermostat
OEM Keys (They gotta say Toyota!!)
OEM gaskets, plugs, seals, O-rings etc…too many to type out
OEM Spark plugs and new wires
OEM Dizzy and O-ring
OEM Blue Hub and I have some 10K oil on the sidelines
OEM Rad Fan
OEM Water pump

I finally got her from the shipping yard today and she is covered in bird**** and has a fine powdery substance all over her. Inside the engine bay is a big oily mess and the interior has a lot of work needed. There are some extraneous wires from a s***ty music "system" setup and the damage multipliers are coming off asap. The tires are 11 years old and parts of the interior look like a pack of rabid wolverines used it as a love shack. The body and frame is clean and has no rust on it anywhere so that is a plus!

I don't know what else. I have an inventory here and a loosely laid plan but going off the top of my head. Anyway, read or don't read the novella, I appreciate this forum and you all who make it worthwhile.

Last edited:
After work, I went ahead and gave her a wash and rinsed all the bird crap off. I also changed the air filter, the one in the truck was dirty and was not OEM. I also drained the oil, it looked dark even though it wasn't due for another 1500 miles. I used Rotella 5W-40 with an OEM filter (Pennzoil came off ASAP)...we will see how she does with it. She idles smooth for the most part but the RPMs fluctuate slightly; I suspect a vacuum line somewhere.

Additionally got a check engine light but unsure yet why. I noticed the oil pressure gauge in the higher spectrum of the gauge as well. It definitely gave me pause because it was so high. I checked oil levels and they were gtg. Maybe it's the sensor. I'll have to research.

Other things noted were some lines were replaced and others are overdue. I checked my diagnostics port and it looks terrible like it's all gummed up. I tried to snag a pic but it came out blurry. I'll try to grab another one tomorrow.

This is what I expected for buying a vehicle sight unseen. I'm still down for the adventure! My kiddos are too and they helped me clean for several hours today. It's nice having four helpers at my disposal!

Last edited:
Welcome to the fold. Maybe you will run into Aloha Jen over there.... Whatever happened to Aloha Jen anywase. I miss her posts.

Is AC system is working? Summer is near
Also Ox sensors, fuel filters, pump maybe
AC works great albeit there’s a foreign smell. Almost like someone dumped 50yrs worth of vacuum dust inside the vehicle and AC system.
I have a fuel filter but haven’t considered a pump. Good call on the O2 sensors. I’ll have to add it to the list.

Welcome to the fold. Maybe you will run into Aloha Jen over there.... Whatever happened to Aloha Jen anywase. I miss her posts.
Thanks man. I hit her up and she replied but seems she is not very active.

Here’s a shot of the gummed up diagnostics port
C60CEBF3-9D8C-4F1D-8297-61D6FC97ACDB.jpeg

And a little wtf moment this morning.
2E206A9C-27F0-40BF-BF1C-3204F5AD659A.jpeg
Fixed it ASAP. Both seat anchors weren’t installed at all.
The oil pressure reads this high upon start up and settled down after about 15 min. Is this normal for these engines?
4800AF3C-A059-424A-88F4-9806FAA58D4B.jpeg

Here’s a shot of the gummed up diagnostics portView attachment 2568806
And a little wtf moment this morning. View attachment 2568808Fixed it ASAP. Both seat anchors weren’t installed at all.
The oil pressure reads this high upon start up and settled down after about 15 min. Is this normal for these engines?
View attachment 2568809
Yes on the oil pressure, however, that gauge is known to be meaningless. You may have good, bad, or high oil pressure. It is only relevant unto itself and it does NOT relate directly to a given pressure.

Diagnostics port is supposed to be that way. Dielectric grease in it. Leave it alone.

Yes on the oil pressure, however, that gauge is known to be meaningless. You may have good, bad, or high oil pressure. It is only relevant unto itself and it does NOT relate directly to a given pressure.

Diagnostics port is supposed to be that way. Dielectric grease in it. Leave it alone.
Thanks brother, I appreciate the help. I read up on here regarding the high oil pressure and found some good info. I’m just wary of doing anything to cause harm to the engine. Copy on the diagnostics port too! I’m like a :banana: mech on a good day...but give me some jet engines and I’ll troubleshoot the hell out of em!

Nice intro to your 80! I like it. I'm lurking on this forum, whereas I normally have only been on the 40 forums, because I'm supposed to go buy a 91 FJ80. Much to learn about these things vs. the FJ40, but much like you, I'm ready for the adventure.

I have heard of Winnemucca, I live only a couple hours away from it and will in fact pass through there to go see the one I'm going to buy.

Good luck with this, and I'll be keeping tabs along the way.

Nice intro to your 80! I like it. I'm lurking on this forum, whereas I normally have only been on the 40 forums, because I'm supposed to go buy a 91 FJ80. Much to learn about these things vs. the FJ40, but much like you, I'm ready for the adventure.

I have heard of Winnemucca, I live only a couple hours away from it and will in fact pass through there to go see the one I'm going to buy.

Good luck with this, and I'll be keeping tabs along the way.
Thanks Arion; I don’t regret the purchase at all aside from the fact that I’m a little overwhelmed. I have a ton of parts to inspect and install but I plan to eat the elephant one bite at a time.
I took her for a spin this morning and locked her up. All lockers engage immediately and disengage without issue.
Aside from the horrible paint condition, I plan to get it mechanically sound so I can build confidence in my use.
3ACBC7B2-F034-4755-9F67-6943CB6F8450.jpeg

Five of my dudes hanging in the back. The eldest (not pictured) drank beers with me last night and I think he is out for the count! Hahahahaha

Warning: Do not ever try to open up your AFM sensor attached to the air box. Everybody does it thinking it is like a MAF sensor for cleaning. Don't do it. If you remove the two screws holding the plug in, you will destroy it. Toyota doesn't make them anymore for replacement and finding a used one is extremely hard to find.

Thanks Arion; I don’t regret the purchase at all aside from the fact that I’m a little overwhelmed. I have a ton of parts to inspect and install but I plan to eat the elephant one bite at a time.
I took her for a spin this morning and locked her up. All lockers engage immediately and disengage without issue.
Aside from the horrible paint condition, I plan to get it mechanically sound so I can build confidence in my use. View attachment 2568892
Five of my dudes hanging in the back. The eldest (not pictured) drank beers with me last night and I think he is out for the count! Hahahahaha
That's what it's all about right there.

Yes one step at a time. If you ever feel like checking out my build on my FJ40 you can check my signature line. But like you say, I had never done anything like that before but with a lot of help, videos, and just getting to it, it becomes less scary and doable. That's what I'm hoping anyway for myself and sounds like you got the right idea, one step at a time. Enjoy and good luck!

That's what it's all about right there.

Yes one step at a time. If you ever feel like checking out my build on my FJ40 you can check my signature line. But like you say, I had never done anything like that before but with a lot of help, videos, and just getting to it, it becomes less scary and doable. That's what I'm hoping anyway for myself and sounds like you got the right idea, one step at a time. Enjoy and good luck!
I’ll definitely check out your build. I too take comfort in knowing there are many resources from which to rely on.
Tonight I plan to install my BH3D front and rear cup holders and get to removing some running boards.
Here’s a quick pic of the stuff I’ve collected for baselining. What isn’t pictured are the OEM rad and fan and each bins contains numerous parts, bagged and tagged by system and/or location.
D50F8EC1-0A24-41DA-896E-AE751CADEFF5.jpeg

Here’s the rats nest of extraneous wires I pulled from stem to stern.
B7B0F5FE-D84C-4ED0-A83E-6056A4F512AC.jpeg

It looks like you're diving in head first. I have a 94 also. I'm by no means an authority on them, but I've been into a few of the common trouble areas, so feel free to ping me if you have questions.
This is a pretty solid community, and almost any weird issue has been experienced and/or solved in one way or another by a fellow "mud" member.
Search "FSM for a hell of a price."
Cheers! Or Aloha in your case.
Oh, there's a "tuna can" under your main air cleaner cannister. Check that little guy out too, a lot of folks seem to find 20 years worth of neglected stuff in there.

It looks like you're diving in head first. I have a 94 also. I'm by no means an authority on them, but I've been into a few of the common trouble areas, so feel free to ping me if you have questions.
This is a pretty solid community, and almost any weird issue has been experienced and/or solved in one way or another by a fellow "mud" member.
Search "FSM for a hell of a price."
Cheers! Or Aloha in your case.
Oh, there's a "tuna can" under your main air cleaner cannister. Check that little guy out too, a lot of folks seem to find 20 years worth of neglected stuff in there.
Thanks for the info and offer to assist, I will definitely reach out as required! This is an amazing community. In fact that’s what drew me to Land Cruisers after I got exposed to them in Saudi. Found this forum and found so many like minded people with a love of adventure and the outdoors, and of course, LCs. Thanks again and look forward to chatting with ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom