Builds 94 FZJ80 - Let the Adventure Ensue (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice one P! What are the plans for this one?

J,
It’s on the way to the farm now. It’ll arrive in about 4 hours so I’m looking forward to more photos from my in-laws.

I’ve been thinking about your question. I’m not sure yet. From the photos the seller shared, this rig seems so clean and stock. Not sure how I want to approach future mods/changes. Do I keep it original or do I modify it to a classy and functional degree? Probably the latter but I’m not sure yet.

Baseline is non-negotiable. Then probably get into all the other fun stuff. I can tell you my plans for my 94 are probably going to change too. How? Not sure yet. Both rigs are great. One is in average condition and the other is phenomenal.

I can’t wait to retire!

Bold move! Seller on ‘Mud?
Yes sir. Saw it pop up, had to jump on it. Fired right away, asked questions later.
Me to spousal unit: "Hey babe, there's a 97, 80 for sale. Can I buy it?"
Wife: "Okay"
Me: "Good, because I bought it"
Wife: "Figured, nerd"

In-laws should be arriving at my house shortly, they're troopers. They drove 4-ish hours each way for me, got the certified check on my behalf, signed all the docs, and agreed to maintain my ride until my return.

I'm making my baseline list. Woof. Then making a "want to-do" list. Double-woof

Yes sir. Saw it pop up, had to jump on it. Fired right away, asked questions later.

In-laws should be arriving at my house shortly, they're troopers. They drove 4-ish hours each way for me, got the certified check on my behalf, signed all the docs, and agreed to maintain my ride until my return.

Dang, thats pretty rad. You better post the thread link when you start it...

Dang, thats pretty rad. You better post the thread link when you start it...
Will do. Just got confirmation the cruiser arrived safely. Some things my in-law noted:

1. My FIL couldn’t believe how everything still looked brand new, especially for being 24 years old

2. Brake lights flicker when hitting bumps

3. The engine needs the gas pedal pumped when starting (lol)

4. Cruise control is inop

Should be able to grab some pics tomorrow.

Poor Schtalin Babbity is feeling neglected. I have to give her a nice bath to make up for it.

Last edited:
Will do. Just got confirmation the cruiser arrived safely. Some things my in-law noted:

1. My FIL couldn’t believe how everything still looked brand new, especially for being 24 years old

Poor Schtalin Babbity is feeling neglected. I have to give her a nice bath to make up for it.
You almost got a white one this round…I say keep trying!

Nice!!!

I’ll start a list for you (of the things pre 95 folks can’t have) then Schtalin Babbity will have concrete reasons to start drinking!

-Obd2 scanner
-Scanguage
-Wits end useless ashtray switch and ram ball mount
-Wits end turbo…

Dude I’m super jealous, that’s a great find!! I’m hopeful you’re keeping both!

G,

You know what OBD2 trucks don’t have that ours do? I’ll make a list:

1: A sexier steering wheel
2: A sexier dash
3: Can sport the sticker “NO AIRBAG, we die like real men”
4: Cats that don’t decapitate kittens running across the road
5: Wisdom through experience

The plan is to keep both, my wife loves the green, my daughter wants to inherit Schtalin, and frankly I love her…and I love my daughter too.

Unless someone from this island who has more money than brains offers me a stupid amount of doll-hairs, she is staying in our stable.

47C2C445-BE79-4051-9F32-43BC8F73F1D4.jpeg

G,

You know what OBD2 trucks don’t have that ours do? I’ll make a list:

1: A sexier steering wheel
2: A sexier dash
3: Can sport the sticker “NO AIRBAG, we die like real men”
4: Cats that don’t decapitate kittens running across the road
5: Wisdom through experience

The plan is to keep both, my wife loves the green, my daughter wants to inherit Schtalin, and frankly I love her…and I love my daughter too.

Unless someone from this island who has more money than brains offers me a stupid amount of doll-hairs, she is staying in our stable.

View attachment 2802349
I dig that sticker…and I’ve always loved my Landcruiser steering wheel…even if it’s extra worn and gritty feeling. Glad your gonna keep both.

Which one gets 37’s?:flipoff2:

I dig that sticker…and I’ve always loved my Landcruiser steering wheel…even if it’s extra worn and gritty feeling. Glad your gonna keep both.

Which one gets 37’s?:flipoff2:
Full of jokes tonight!

But truthfully, I really like the way JM74 and Feldrian’s rigs are setup. I need to think about suspension again but I have time on my side. Hopefully by the time I’m ready slinky is available on our side of the world again.

So to answer your question, probably the 97. The 94 will get 35s.

Now stop mud surfing and get back to cleaning that oil and grime :flipoff2:

So, did you ever figure out what was causing the huge amount of bubbles in the system?
Sorry, BILT4ME, I missed this question. I didn't figure out why. I was thinking maybe I screwed up the bleeding sequence but I did it the same way that's been documented here time and again. I never let the MC get low, I started with the aft left, LSPV, aft right, then fwd right, fwd left. The brakes are solid now and the rig stops just as good as before I broke into the system.

Right now, I'm creating a new baseline list of components for my new rig. I'm also trying to source some relatively unobtanium parts for her. The '97 is so clean that there is a small argument in my mind to keep it super stock and just continue modding and wheeling the '94.
But the irrational part of my lizard brain just says, "**** it, mod it, and enjoy it".

My wife wants my '94. She loves it and I want to continue modding it "for her" so it stands to reason that I should mod the '97 for me. I can't wait to see it....I travel to Rhode Island for work in Nov....I'm thinking of making a stop on the way back through TN so I can check her out in person.

Last edited:
Today, I sent the defective VAFM to Bavarian Restorations who specialize in Bosche and Denso AFMs for BMWs/Porsches. An email confirmed they handle Toyota VAFs relatively often. I think the eBay dude charges $100 vs BavRest who charged me $365 round trip (shipping to Hawaii SUCKS).

Some comparisons that I know of:

eBay dude:
Repairs the internals and seals the plastic cover
Paints the VAF
1-year warranty as long as it is installed by a certified technician

BavRest:
Electrically refurbishes air-fuel meter
Internal electrical will be refurbished, inside the cavity will be ultrasonically cleaned
Outside will be bead blasted and painted with clear coat
2-year warranty from date of shipment

I haven't read of any people on this forum actually using BavRest but figured I'll take a chance and report back.

Sorry, BILT4ME, I missed this question. I didn't figure out why. I was thinking maybe I screwed up the bleeding sequence but I did it the same way that's been documented here time and again. I never let the MC get low, I started with the aft left, LSPV, aft right, then fwd right, fwd left. The brakes are solid now and the rig stops just as good as before I broke into the system.

Right now, I'm creating a new baseline list of components for my new rig. I'm also trying to source some relatively unobtanium parts for her. The '97 is that it is so clean that there is a small argument in my mind to keep it super stock and just continue modding and wheeling the '94.
But the irrational part of my lizard brain just says, "f*** it, mod it, and enjoy it".

My wife wants my '94. She loves it and I want to continue modding it "for her" so it stands to reason that I should mod the '97 for me. I can't wait to see it....I travel to Rhode Island for work in Nov....I'm thinking of making a stop on the way back through TN so I can check her out in person.
You have some codependency cruiser behavior happening…rad!:cheers:

Today, I sent the defective VAFM to Bavarian Restorations who specialize in Bosche and Denso AFMs for BMWs/Porsches. An email confirmed they handle Toyota VAFs relatively often. I think the eBay dude charges $100 vs BavRest who charged me $365 round trip (shipping to Hawaii SUCKS).

Some comparisons that I know of:

eBay dude:
Repairs the internals and seals the plastic cover
Paints the VAF
1-year warranty as long as it is installed by a certified technician

BavRest:
Electrically refurbishes air-fuel meter
Internal electrical will be refurbished, inside the cavity will be ultrasonically cleaned
Outside will be bead blasted and painted with clear coat
2-year warranty from date of shipment

I haven't read of any people on this forum actually using BavRest but figured I'll take a chance and report back.
Looking forward to your VAF getting back and seeing if it is working. Sounds like you get what you pay for with these two repair services. Out of curiousity, what exactly does a "Electrical refurbish" include from BavRest?

Looking forward to your VAF getting back and seeing if it is working. Sounds like you get what you pay for with these two repair services. Out of curiousity, what exactly does a "Electrical refurbish" include from BavRest?
Me too, hope the cost is worthwhile. Here is the breakdown in more detail:
Bavarian Restoration Refurbishes Air Flow Meters using the following process:
1. AFM is heat tank soaked, ultra sonic cleaned, bead blasted clean, and clear coat painted.
2. Test intake air temperature sensor resistance over the heat range specified by Bosch.
3. Test AFM door spring tension and adjust accordingly to known Bosch specs.
4. Disassemble wiper arm and connector assembly. Clean incoming, and outgoing contacts and bend them to contact fresh material. Clean wiper arm contacts and primary grounding post. Adjust wiper arm to contact fresh material.
5. Reassemble wiper arm and connector. (all contacts touch fresh new material only!)
6. All mechanical pivot points are lubricated with liquid Teflon.
7. Measure voltage signal output with oscilloscope and adjust if necessary. We run a variety of tests including quality repeatability, linearity testing (or non linear for eta AFM's,) quality repeatability in the idle genre and the fully open genre. Every AFM is thoroughly tested over a variety of conditions.
8. Lid is sealed with silicone to ensure a moisture and water proof AFM.
9. Every successfully refurbished AFM will receive a quality control decal.

Me too, hope the cost is worthwhile. Here is the breakdown in more detail:
Bavarian Restoration Refurbishes Air Flow Meters using the following process:
1. AFM is heat tank soaked, ultra sonic cleaned, bead blasted clean, and clear coat painted.
2. Test intake air temperature sensor resistance over the heat range specified by Bosch.
3. Test AFM door spring tension and adjust accordingly to known Bosch specs.
4. Disassemble wiper arm and connector assembly. Clean incoming, and outgoing contacts and bend them to contact fresh material. Clean wiper arm contacts and primary grounding post. Adjust wiper arm to contact fresh material.
5. Reassemble wiper arm and connector. (all contacts touch fresh new material only!)
6. All mechanical pivot points are lubricated with liquid Teflon.
7. Measure voltage signal output with oscilloscope and adjust if necessary. We run a variety of tests including quality repeatability, linearity testing (or non linear for eta AFM's,) quality repeatability in the idle genre and the fully open genre. Every AFM is thoroughly tested over a variety of conditions.
8. Lid is sealed with silicone to ensure a moisture and water proof AFM.
9. Every successfully refurbished AFM will receive a quality control decal.
Damn! That's quite the list, should be good for an extra 50 hp, I would think.

On leave this week and my mother is visiting for the first time in a few years. It’s so great to have her here and first time for her being in a cruiser!
9FD1126B-6493-4FAA-8F7D-3CF715E27DBA.jpeg
291558F8-B2D0-46A2-8719-2F607325959F.jpeg
C1E66824-126F-4029-80C1-ED978B3E432E.jpeg

81707C5F-FE08-48A4-BD1C-0AFEAB80B235.jpeg

E2725EAE-F099-4731-89BB-4245C3F6ED9B.jpeg

Btw, we are glamping in Kaneohe Bay cottages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom