Builds 94 FZJ80 - Let the Adventure Ensue (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can remove the inspection cover from the bell housing at the 6O’clock position and clean the up what you can. Then run the engine while looking up in there with a mirror to rule ou the rear crank seal. Most likely it’s the pan arch leaking.

You can remove the inspection cover from the bell housing at the 6O’clock position and clean the up what you can. Then run the engine while looking up in there with a mirror to rule ou the rear crank seal. Most likely it’s the pan arch leaking.
Copy. I need to do that and figure out where else my oil is going. I put in quite a bit of oil (2.5qts) yesterday and only have ~400miles on it since the oil change.

You might not be leaking where you see it hanging. While driving the air is pushing the oil back. Might be getting caught on the transmission because it hangs lower. Hope that makes sense.

That’s substantial man!
Yes, this I know but I’m thinking I may have messed up the measurement since I was flustered off the side of a highway. I’m gonna do another oil change and start from there.
You might not be leaking where you see it hanging. While driving the air is pushing the oil back. Might be getting caught on the transmission because it hangs lower. Hope that makes sense.
Copy all, I may take the next few days to try to trace the leak by removing the starter and other things to get a better view.

Costco only stocks kirtland brand or Mobil 1 so I hit up the ‘zone and got 3.5 Gal of Mobil Delvac 1300 15W-40 for $44 plus my 10% discount for the win. Put in 8 qts and now I monitor.
63320A01-FDB6-471C-B82E-106A038A035B.jpeg

thanks to @baldilocks for the reference.

My Cummins is currently running the Delvac 1300. It’s cushiony for the cam shaft.

Last edited:
I never noticed you have the side marker blinkers. Ive been thinking of this because I have to have them if I take my LC to Japan. They will do it for me, but I like to do most things myself.

I never noticed you have the side marker blinkers. Ive been thinking of this because I have to have them if I take my LC to Japan. They will do it for me, but I like to do most things myself.
I’d totally let them do it. I assume you’re talking about the Japanese? Wonder how much hassle it’ll be to get your 80 to Japanese spec so they allow you to register it and JCI it.
Where are you going?

I’d totally let them do it. I assume you’re talking about the Japanese? Wonder how much hassle it’ll be to get your 80 to Japanese spec so they allow you to register it and JCI it.
Where are you going?
My wife is Okinawan, and Im retiring and moving there in a few yrs. I got a quote from them last yrs saying 10K to ship to Japan. They said they'll have to change cats, add fenders, adjust headlights, and add side blinkers.

My wife is Okinawan, and Im retiring and moving there in a few yrs. I got a quote from them last yrs saying 10K to ship to Japan. They said they'll have to change cats, add fenders, adjust headlights, and add side blinkers.
Yep, sounds about right. I spent 3 years in Okinawa at Kadena and that was my absolute favorite assignment. I knew a few dudes who brought their rigs over to Japan and it was a pita and lots of $$$.

Love Oki, everything about it. Highly corrosive environment for our jets and rigs but hey, it's paradise. Better than Hawaii in every way. I can't wait to go back.

Yep, sounds about right. I spent 3 years in Okinawa at Kadena and that was my absolute favorite assignment. I knew a few dudes who brought their rigs over to Japan and it was a pita and lots of $$$.

Love Oki, everything about it. Highly corrosive environment for our jets and rigs but hey, it's paradise. Better than Hawaii in every way. I can't wait to go back.
Yeah I was at Torii Station. I was going to bring my Challenger that I sold last week. Due to the salt in the air from the ocean, I decided to let someone else have fun with it. . got 40K for it :flipoff2:(I supercharge everything lol).

“Welcome to the addiction” @FMC80 Sorry for the belated welcome. I see you’ve already made it to 12 pages in less than 6 months. Awesome start! I always love to see a fellow family man getting his minions involved in the build. I wish you and your family as much fun and as many great memories as we’ve had with our 80. Look forward to seeing your progress!

A box full of miscellaneous things arrived finally. It only took 3 weeks from mainland (love the logistics chain to Hawaii👎🏽).
13B3D14A-6013-44F5-9014-932C3228FD71.jpeg
53E6AB5E-2892-4F7D-AF26-D722E3EE1F8F.jpeg
My PS Cap was leaking when off-roading. As predicted, inspection found the rubber seal was hard and no longer functional.
DC5332F9-44BC-40B9-8796-E55373A33D38.jpeg

1432C8CD-E5E9-45C3-A7FB-7E79BDBF5DB8.jpeg
Just because
59C842E8-6824-487F-BA0D-8BED0E3B630B.jpeg

Getting ready to install the Koso water temp gauge so figured I’d grab a new style cock drain.
8BF35D17-C653-4F91-BFD8-15DADA22F15A.jpeg

More parts aren’t pictures need to be installed but that’ll come later.

Delta VS Radius Arms feedback:

It's been about 2 weeks since the Delta 4" radius arms have been installed. After my 3" lift which actually netted about 4.25", my caster was -4* and the cruiser was all over the place at higher speeds. The cruiser's surefootedness was absent and my usual complacent driving style was replaced with white knuckle focus and refusal to drive anywhere too congested. While waiting for my DVS arms, I got used to the loose feel but still longed for the tight and responsive drive characteristics from before.

I finally got the arms installed and got the truck aligned and now my caster is slightly above 2*. Truck feels good but I was wary of driveline vibes and after two weeks of operating the cruiser at various speeds, terrain, and some moderate off-roading, I'm reporting driveline vibes between 10-20 mph and above 35mph to approx 45 mph. It is ever so slight but I can sense it by feel and audibly. On occasion the vibes will be louder and more abrupt usually during deceleration without braking power. I ordered a Tom Woods DC shaft using @baldilocks advice. The driveshaft came in and there were some issues on my end, not related to Tom Woods at all. After a quick phone call, the dudes at TW will take my driveshaft back and hook me up with another one. I'll cover the freight but they're handling the rest. They're great to work with and I've no regrets going with them. The old driveshaft is in great shape and I already reinstalled it so I can use the cruiser until the new shaft comes in.

For now, I'm on nights again for yet another colossal Joint service exercise so the next couple weeks will be relatively boring and slow.

Pell is killing it. Awesome work!:steer:

You netted 4.25” lift from 3” springs. You must not have extra weight of HD bumpers and armor all the other stuff typical mudders attach to their rigs.

You got the 4” arms and got only 6 deg plus a little castor angle correction? If my memory serves me, the 4” arms should correct +7.4 degrees.

Can you post a profile photo of your front driveline to pinion connection? Needs to include some of the driveline.

Last edited:
You netted 4.25” lift arb 3” springs. You must not have extra weight of HD bumpers and armor all the other stuff typical mudders attach to their rigs.

You got the 4” arms and got only 6 deg plus a little castor angle correction? If my memory serves me, the 4” arms should correct +7.4 degrees.

Can you post a profile photo of your front driveline to pinion connection? Needs to include some of the driveline.
I'm working nights for an exercise so pictures will come tomorrow. Regarding my net gain in lift, I don't have armor yet. s***'s crazy expensive to get shipped to HI so I'm waiting until CONUS. I have a sweet front bumper that needs welding waiting for me in the states....it's pushing 100lbs. Still need/want sliders and rear bumper.

As for my caster, I'll post the before and after caster sheets tomorrow as well. I definitely thought I'd be in the +3* range too.

I'm working nights for an exercise so pictures will come tomorrow. Regarding my net gain in lift, I don't have armor yet. s***'s crazy expensive to get shipped to HI so I'm waiting until CONUS. I have a sweet front bumper that needs welding waiting for me in the states....it's pushing 100lbs. Still need/want sliders and rear bumper.

As for my caster, I'll post the before and after caster sheets tomorrow as well. I definitely thought I'd be in the +3* range too.

maybe we can share a shipping pallet ahaha. Bumpers are next up for me as well after a wallet recharge. Sweet build so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom