1994 FJZ80 Bed Liner Roof Coating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How it started.......I had some rust around the bottom screw hole on the rear spoiler. Took off the spoiler and blasted the rust, glassed it and primed. Fixed another dent on the roof and decided it needed to be painted. Wanted to not worry about it anymore so I decided to look into coating it with bed liner material. After a quote from a local Chevy dealership I decided to go for it. I removed the roof rails, the plastic stick on strips were a pain to remove, ripped them off then used a heat gun a xylol then soaked the plastic strips in paint thinner to remove the tape off of them. I decided to go ahead and tape off the edges how I wanted it and not leave that to them. I also wet sanded it just to make sure. I got some screws from Lowes and taped/screwed them into the holes to keep the material out. The side rail holes I let them paint over some stainless screws, I have no reason to put those back on. They squirted it for $350 and removed the tape. Got it home and put new 3m extreme double sided tape on the plastic strips and screwed the rails back on and put the spoiler back on. I did drill some small holes in the spoiler brackets to drain water that apparently would sit in the void (what caused the rust)

I am very happy with the result. I feel it looks good, insulates from noise heat and cold, won't scratch and provides a tough finish for throwing things on roof if I choose. I have a basket I put on it sometimes.

Enjoy!

IMG_0789_zps6b8edfa4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0792_zps010b898d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0874_zps0ab34f42.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0868_zps3dc55ae4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0870_zps07f05e2e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0875_zpse4ef1e87.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks good. I'm going to do this to mine in the spring, probably in white. Why did you put the center rails back on?

Maintenance free! Did mine too cause I can't reach the roof to wash it :)

Looks good. I'm going to do this to mine in the spring, probably in white. Why did you put the center rails back on?
I put the roof rails back on for looks and added rigidity. Roof is a little flexy by the sunroof hole.

Looks great.
Only clear coat that is fading and peeling on my rig is the roof... Im thinking of doing it in white...

Looks good! I have been curious to see this done on just the roof. I did my hood and might have to pull the trigger on the roof too.

looks good! I plan on doing mine white to keep my interior cooler in the Texas summer time.

Not sure why the pics went away. Here they are again.

IMG_0869_zps0f732c15.jpg
IMG_0872_zpseaded29f.jpg
IMG_0873_zps897ce38a.jpg
IMG_0871_zps3b78db2d.jpg
IMG_0868_zps3dc55ae4.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice results. I like the red and gray combo. Well done. And nice rig.

What did you use to make the edge? Looks like you got it really close to the windshield seal. I'm doing the same this weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom