1994 fj80 rear light issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I turn my lights on I get no rear lights or brake lights. When I turn the lights off the brake lights work. I checked the fuse, the bulbs...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Checking your grounds is a good place to start. Are you near the ocean much? Salt air could be a factor. Toyota likes to make the ground side of circuits the switched side, so if the grounds get corroded, the lights may not work.

The thing with the brake lights could be related, but could also be a damaged wiring harness maybe? Most of the rear lighting circuits run through the area where the jack and tools are stowed on the rear left side of the cargo area. Popping that panel off to peer inside may give you some insight, especially if it is a corrosion issue. Open up your rear light assemblys and check in there, too, because a corrosion problem with that harness, plug, or lamp socket could get those circuits crossed also.

Another thing to check, is the trailer light supply box. Not sure if that’s actually what’s it’s called, it it’s on the driver side, wired in behind the rear bumper. Mine was messed up and causing all kinds of issues.

When I turn my lights on I get no rear lights or brake lights. When I turn the lights off the brake lights work. I checked the fuse, the bulbs...any help would be greatly appreciated.

just to confirm, is it only your tail/run/stop lights?

I would suggest starting at the front, tracing your way back to see where you have power...but it is likely it’s something in the drivers quarter panel.

Another thing to check, is the trailer light supply box. Not sure if that’s actually what’s it’s called, it it’s on the driver side, wired in behind the rear bumper. Mine was messed up and causing all kinds of issues.

Yeah, I had that happen with one of my trailer light adapters. I recall it being on the passenger side. If you have it, just trace it back from the rear bumper and you should find it in the first 3' or 4' under the cargo area next to the frame rail. It just plugs into the wiring harness. Unplug it and if that's it, the lights will start working.

I would suggest starting at the front, tracing your way back to see where you have power...but it is likely it’s something in the drivers quarter panel.

I believe so. But mine was snorting out inside. So the fuse was blowing.

I wasn’t able to just unplug it, this was a part of the factory harness, or port installed. Regardless, I had to cut it out and splice it.

@dsmud4u has it right, that’s the correct way, hopefully I don’t sidetrack you. But, the controller is easy to check.

I had the same issue. The light bulb socket needed to be resoldered to the wire.

9107BF00-D800-461B-BA49-5F61F2FD5418.jpeg

A8770A02-E321-42B0-A86F-B42BC2963A9B.jpeg

E6282B98-761E-4152-B7BF-3ABA18A81C9F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom