1994 80??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
O.K. I know I am risking verbal abuse here, but after trying to search for the last hour+... :doh:

I went and looked at a 1994 80 today 126k miles and with the magical diff lock button. 8)

It was almost surreal, seeing it in person for the first time, touching it. Besides just staring at one on a computer screen or through someone's window.

So I took it out for a test drive and wanted to see if the diff locks would engage or not. Now I know there is many topics on why they won't lock and the such, but...I want to make sure I am doing everything correct.

I stopped put the truck neutral, shifted to "L" pressed the diff lock button and watched the lights on the dash just blink...blink...blink... Now granted I was on concrete and not on the dirt. I tried turning the wheel back and forth a little, but that did nothing. The truck did seem to have a heavier feel to it. But, maybe that was just the "low."

So am I doing everything correct??? I read somewhere else in here that I should put my foot on the brake also. And/or maybe they just haven't been used in a long time. This cruiser is a real possibility for me and just want to be sure. If they aren't locking would this be a simple (relatively speaking) fix?

Thanks

Added 3/14/2004...

I am now the proud owner :eek: :D :D 8)

Thanks to all for helping me figure this all out. Now lets talk about mods!!! :cheers:

None of them locked? I'd start by doing things in stages. Shift into low, and them drive a little. The center lock light should be solid. Then turn the knob to RR, and then drive a little. Here it helps to turn in circles or possibly back up. If you can or can't get the rear light solid then more onto the FR position and do the drive thing and try to get the front light to be solid. And by all means find a dirt lot to do this in.

If they don't work at all you'll need to confirm that they exist in the first place. All LCs have the center diff lock, however the RR/FR are options. There is a door sticker that you should check. Among other things it has the Axle code on it. The line your looking for is A/TM, Axle/Transmission. If the first number is K294 then is has Factory installed lockers, if it's K292 then it doesn't.

If the system checks out that it is present but doesn't work then any number of things could be wrong from just needing to execise them to replacing a switch or a control unit or actuator. You'll need to decide whether or not to junp in but I'd expect you'd want to chop about a grand off or have them repair them first. That would be your call.

We have a 94 80 right now that used to be my moms. As you might amagine the diff locks never got used but now i am driving the 80 and wanted to get the lockers working. The problem was that the center diff lock woould never lock up. One day sitting in a parking lot waiting for someone i just kept moving the t-case from high to low back and fourth. After about 30 times of moving it the center diff finally lit up. Yes, it was a magical feeling for me. At that point i turn the switch and the fr and rr finally worked. I think it may be that the cetner diff lock needs to worked a little bit.

[quote author=blupaddler link=board=2;threadid=13056;start=msg120541#msg120541 date=1079171789]
I tried turning the wheel back and forth a little, but that did nothing. So am I doing everything correct???
Thanks
[/quote]

Pull forward while turning the wheel. They will engage if they exist and everything else is working properly. I had the same problem you experienced. This took care of it after a few times. Another $/time saving fix that was the result of this wonderful forum! Brings a tear to my eye. :'( :D

I never knew these things were even supposed to engage while the truck is still. Seems contrary to how I understand these things work, even...

Anyway, none of the last 4 or 5 mall cruisers I test drove engaged even after a few tens of yards, let alone in place. In several cases, I could see a difference after 2 or 3 attempts, though.

But here is the magic conundrum: you have to watch out how you are handling this! With the typical mall cruiser, they won't work at first so you can legitimately claim the system is not working, ergo you need a price break. But if you try too many times, they may start working right and you are out of that argument... So you end up having to take a gamble if you want the rock bottom price... Life is great!

Eric

When the vehicle is stationary the diffs will only lock if the dog clutches are lined up, a rare event. It almost always requires some angled vehicle movement.

Junk & other Mudders,

Any of about 10 guys on this forum could put together a decent FAQ on the factory diff locks.

1. How to identify if a truck has the option.
2. How to test that they are working.
3. How they work

Section #1 of the FAQ should include images of the switch, the door sticker with K294, the dash lights, & the optional CDL switch. Section #2 has been covered many times and pics probably are not needed. Section #3 should include the diagrams that have been posted a couple of times and the pictures of the front and rear dog clutches so people can see how big they are and understand why there has to be a difference in tyre rotation for the locks to engage. Also include a link to Diffs for Dummies.

All of the diagrams and pictures are already posted here on IH8MUD and/or SOR so a camera isn't necessary. We could pull a CDL switch pic from Christo's site with his permission or I will post one up if needed.

Volunteers ? ? ? I'll do it if nobody else volunteers but I'm severely constrained for the next 2 or 3 weeks.

-B-

My 96 is not engaging right now either...it was a Texas mall cruiser and my problem seems to be that the Center isn't locking and therefore the front and rear won't engage either (center has to engage first). I will be working on mine tomorrow, and will let you know how it turns out.

>> I will be working on mine tomorrow, <<

Hank,
Make some time to do the FAQ. I think we have a VOLUNTEER!!!

-B-

in reading bluepaddlers post, doesnt look like it has the front and rear lockers.
was there a switch to turn?
said he pushed a switch, that would just be the center diff button, would it not?

If i can get mine working (and therefore have something to contribute) i would happily take care of the CDL faq...I know that there is some great info on here and Slee's site that could/should make its way into a FAQ.

Wish me luck.

>> I went and looked at a 1994 80 today 126k miles and with the magical diff lock button. <<

That sounds like he knows the difference between CDL and Diff Lock. Also, the CDL is not standard on the 93-97's. Someone would have added it and that's not very common.

-B-

If you are thinking of buying this 80, don't try to engage Low or FR/RR diff locks on dry pavement. You can cause driveline binding, no good :-X

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=13056;start=msg120615#msg120615 date=1079195239]

Junk & other Mudders,

Any of about 10 guys on this forum could put together a decent FAQ on the factory diff locks.

1. How to identify if a truck has the option.
2. How to test that they are working.
3. How they work

Volunteers ? ? ? I'll do it if nobody else volunteers but I'm severely constrained for the next 2 or 3 weeks.

-B-
[/quote]

Not to step on anybody's toes but I'll volunteer to do the factory locks if someone else wants to the ARB end of it. If someone else wants to help reviewing and critiquing we could make a team effort out of it. Hpantier seeing that you are struggling through this at the present time maybe you could take some pictures and give an idea how difficult things are to test etc.

oh i would happily take pictures especially if that meant that i wouldn't have to write anything - or at least anything final.

Junk - how do you move a topic...this might need to go somewhere else now.

Thanks Phil. It would be great if you'll take the lead on this one. Let me know if you need any editing help or searching for the pics that have been posted in the past.

-B-

Well...

:cheers: THANK YOU :cheers:

I tried for a while, just engaging to 'L' finally ot the center diff light to come one. Then I switched the magic button, while in a dirt lot. After turning some and trying to find place to articulate...read pile of dirt...I successfully got both front and rear diffs to lock and unlock numerous times. So once again thanks.

P.S. I am now the owner of a 1994 Landcruiser 126ooo miles...locked and loaded!!!!!! :D :D 8)

I got mine working today as well...seems that the indicator switch just needed a good scrubbing. After the center locked, the front and rear jumped right in place.

blupaddler,

Update your sig line with your truck info and give us a name or something to call you... unless you like being called blue or bp or paddler or whatever else we give you for a nickname.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom