1993 Toyota pickup died after I hit a pothole??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was coming home from grabbing dinner last night and I hit a pothole and then the truck died as if it is either not getting fuel or spark. Battery is fine and it will crank, but it will not start. Is there an inertia switch in these trucks that could need to be reset? It was around 9:30pm when it happened, and I left my tools and flashlight at the house like an idiot because I was moving some furniture a few days prior so I wasn't really able to test anything. That will be tonight as long as the rain holds up. Just wondering if you guys know where I should check other than the normal items such as plug wires and fuel lines? Maybe a fuel relay got knocked loose? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think it might have been on. I'll check when I get home.

Funny thing is when the tow truck driver was loading it I noticed the exhaust was severely loose from probably hitting the pothole. It was resting on the rear spring. I'll be sure to check that when I get home.

Is the EFI fuse in the cab or in the engine compartment?

Could the coil/distributor wire have popped off?

When you keh on does the CEL come on?
Wild guesses say, burnt o2 wire shorted the efi fuse.
This. I saw this exact thing happen on a FZJ80. I bet something is shorting out the fuse.

I have shorted the EFI fuse from the O2 wires several times. I like to hit things. My O2 wires are now over attached and shielded like never before. Check for broken ground wires also.

Well, it doesn't appear to be the o2 sensor giving me issues. Looks like possibly the fuel pump or wiring going into the fuel pump. Here's a pic of the connector I saw hanging by the tank/fuel lines. Anyone know what this goes to?

fuel line.jpg

Pull a plug out after some cranking and see if you smell fuel.
Try a shot of starter fluid into a vacuum port to see if you get a short firing.
Plug one of the wires into a spare plug, set it on some metal (dont hold it) and see if there is spark while cranking.

There are not many sensors that will prevent it from starting. Only ones I can think of is the Air Flow Meter and the distributor position pickup. It needs to see air flow for about a second before it runs the injectors. Some are a 'don't care' until it's up and running, and others are ignored until it's up to temp.

The injectors and fuel pump run while the engine is cranking, so even if the AFM is disconnected it will start and run for a second then die (learned that the hard way). You can also jumper the Fp and B+ terminals in the diagnostic connector and it will force the pump to run when the key is on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom