For Sale ***SOLD***1993 Toyota 75 series project for sale Ebay $8,000 no reserve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This has been edited:

Price $14,500 obo. Importation docs included. It's also listed on Ebay right now.

Got starry-eyed and bought this 75 on ebay: (wrong thumbnail below, but if you follow the ebay link, it will take you to the correct listing)

I mean, what could possibly go wrong with an imported 1993 Landcruiser from Central America with 1,875,000 miles on it? Guy barely spoke english, so I casually translated everything he said into: DO IT, IT’S FINE. BUY IT, IT’S AWESOME. DO IT! BUY IT!

So I wired a total stranger 16k and spend almost 2k getting it to the east coast. That’s right, I’m 18K in and I’m not ashamed. I’ve done dumber s*** than this…

Of course he said it was perfect, and me being the trusting person I am… believed him. Once I got it here, I shipped it to a shop I use and this is what they said (also see video):

• Engine is crooked in bay. Needs new mounts.
  • No heater
  • Engine is pouring oil out because freeze plug popped out. Engine does run.
  • Driveshafts are loose
  • Axle hubs need to be rebuilt. Rear axle seems fine.
  • Truck having trouble staying in 1st gear.
  • no windshield wipers (totally over rated anyway)
  • Gas tank leaking (was braised, but a totally s*** job)
Here’s the good:

• Frame solid and rust free. See photos/videos.
  • Body is straight and in fantastic shape. There is bodywork. Also a few minor dings/scratches and whatnot. No biggie
  • Paint looks really good with a few blemishes here and there.
  • New wheels and tires are awesome
  • Crazy unique
  • Interior pretty good!
  • Replacement parts in the original listing seem to be accurate.
Shop is saying it's all repairable, but quotes to have this all done by a shop are too high for me to continue.

additional pics and vids: HERE

Original description from the auction (if ebay pulls it):

1993 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER SERIE 75
condition: excellent
cylinders: 6 cylinders 4500 carburetor
drive: 4wd
fuel: gas
odometer: 94000
paint color: Blue
title status: clean
transmission: manual
type: pick up

I have this 1993 Toyota FJ 75 pick up well as everything else is in perfect conditions. The car has a 1FZ 4500 motor, manual transmission H151F, the front bumper has 2 headlights. The car is refurbished is all aspects. The upholstery is in perfect conditions, the seats. It has so many other great features, come by and see it for your self.

-NEW Tires 285/70R17
-New wheels Toyota
-Front Inti bumper
-headlight Led
-led lights
-New Belts (all 3) from Toyota
-Snorkel
-Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror with Compass, Outside temp
-New DieHard 825 CCA Battery Group 27 from Sears Dec2017
-old man emu 2' inch
-work in the differential the suspension SOA
-2 year old Drive Shaft Couplings
-New Tie Rod Ends Front (All 4)
-Steering Shaft Seal Replaced (No Hot Foot)
-1 Year ago Old Man Emu Steering Dampener
-UltraGause to OBDII for MPG, Distence to Empty
-Washable Factory (Toyota) Air Filter
-No Factory Lockers
-Front Axle seals/bearings/wipers serviced with TrailGear kit including Trail Safe Seals.
-New Brakes - drilled Rotors/ceramic pads

The Engine 4.5 Carburetor IL6, Transmission, AC Works Flawlessly

Thank you for looking at my Post, I am Intereted in Selling this Beast. NOT IN A RUSH. No Trades, Cash or other reasonable means of...

Last edited:
This looks like an amazing opportunity. However, folks south of the board are amazing craftsmen at putting anything besides metal behind the paint. Has a magnet test been done on this truck to determine if no filler was used during the repaint?
I forgot to ask (truck is at a friends place) I'll see if they can't check on that. I don't think so, but as you suggested... there's some amazing fu©kery going on here, I would not be surprised...

Sorry, have not been able to verify the bodywork/filler situation. Will get that posted here as soon as I get someone with one of those meters to do it. I expect some, but not a ton of it - the rest of the body is not beat up/rusty, so I'm not anticipating that this thing was made out of bondo.

Still considering one of three choices:
1. Get stupid and try and put a little cummins diesel in here. Problem with this, is I can't find anyone qualified to do it. Also, nobody can give me a straight answer on what this might cost (estimated). If anyone here can chime in, would be awesome. However, this is kinda far-fetched. Probably not a great idea.

2. Try and fix using the 1FZ. Motor was running, so I know it's not shot. Just needs to be sealed up - fu@ker is leaking from every orifice.

3. Sell it. In two days, I'll have an idea if the price is realistic or not (ebay market will dictate). I think everyone is afraid of this thing. I am not going to budge on Ebay til the end, and would move a little bit for you ih8Mudderfackers.

Also, ebay with a decent amount of creepers watching... Maybe there's a buyer in there...

Last edited:
1: A Cummins is a good idea, the truck would rock with a R2.8 in it. I could do it but am busy as mentioned before. My buddies over @Delta VS could easily do it and have done one before.

2: I am not a fan of throwing a lot of money at the 1FZ. You got one that is going to be hard to smog for a lot of people as well.

If you got the money to throw at the truck, I strongly suggest putting a 1HDT in it. You can still keep the H151 trans and the tcase. This truck well sorted with a 1HDT in it is easily worth $35k+.

A cheaper option that would be even more fun to drive would be a v8 swap. But I think you would narrow who would pay you good money for the truck.

Part of the problem with what you are selling is that it is a regular cab pickup. Anyone who needs a Cruiser for family use is not a potential buyer for you. So it is a small market but, very very few 70-series pickups are in the USA and even less are available to buy so it is simply a matter of finding that buyer. I have done very well with Craigslist myself but you have to be willing to sift through all the spammers.

GLWS and Cheers

1: A Cummins is a good idea, the truck would rock with a R2.8 in it. I could do it but am busy as mentioned before. My buddies over @Delta VS could easily do it and have done one before.

2: I am not a fan of throwing a lot of money at the 1FZ. You got one that is going to be hard to smog for a lot of people as well.

If you got the money to throw at the truck, I strongly suggest putting a 1HDT in it. You can still keep the H151 trans and the tcase. This truck well sorted with a 1HDT in it is easily worth $35k+.

A cheaper option that would be even more fun to drive would be a v8 swap. But I think you would narrow who would pay you good money for the truck.

Part of the problem with what you are selling is that it is a regular cab pickup. Anyone who needs a Cruiser for family use is not a potential buyer for you. So it is a small market but, very very few 70-series pickups are in the USA and even less are available to buy so it is simply a matter of finding that buyer. I have done very well with Craigslist myself but you have to be willing to sift through all the spammers.

GLWS and Cheers
Anyone in the NE capable of this?

Part of the problem with what you are selling is that it is a regular cab pickup. Anyone who needs a Cruiser for family use is not a potential buyer for you. So it is a small market but, very very few 70-series pickups are in the USA and even less are available to buy.
This is me. I actually contacted Meano in South Africa to see if they’d sell me the pre-fabbed metal they use to convert from single to double cab so that I could buy your truck. They won’t. Because they won’t it’s too expensive for me to consider...at least double the cost to convert.

I agree with @SNLC about dropping a 1hd into it.

Anyone in the NE capable of this?

No idea but you can find plenty of examples right here in mud of people who got screwed by a shop in a build. So please due your research who to hire before you do.

Cheers

GLWS. Has potential.

Keep it, fix it and enjoy it. Why can’t Toyota make a US version of this truck soooooo freaking sick.

There are basically 2 types of vintage Land Cruisers........
Type 1 ... are the ones where the previous owner has already made the sizable investment to correct all of the issues and this is reflected in the asking price.
Type 2 ... are the ones where the previous owner has not done squat and its up to you to make the sizable investment to correct the issues.
The common theme with either type is "sizable investment". In my opinion there is simply no way to get out of this inexpensively.

Last edited:
I think people are a bit gun-shy. It's a smaller market because it's a small 2 door truck.

The engine would red-flag me instantly as a perspective buyer. I have dealt with multiple leaks on an engine before. Would have been better and easier to just pull and reseal the whole damn thing. (which is what I did on another one) It's not that hard to do to have it resealed. If compression is good, I would just pull it and plan on re-sealing everything and replacing all fluids.

The good news is that if the engine is bad, there are people that can rebuild it all over the place. If you go to a diesel engine, your rebuilders get a whole lot smaller and your costs go up along with risk. A cummins 2.8 would be a cool way to get a new diesel engine. Again, you are taking a risk potentially on a shop to do that. A Cummins 2.8 is $9000 for the engine alone. I'm guessing a swap would put you back $25K+ easily.

I would at least do the el-cheapo magnet bondo test. That will give you a starting point anyway.

My vote is to pull the engine, seal it up (if numbers are good) and check the bodywork. Taking either one or both of the major possible negatives away now would allow you to much more easily sell it. If that body checks out as almost all metal and you seal up that engine, you will easily get your money back plus.

Have you had any prospective buyers actually come to look at it in person?

It's got so many issues-engine, gas tank, transmission. Most guys on here will say fix it because they don't envision paying someone to do all of that work, I guess. In your case, it probably would be cheaper and much easier just to dump it at a loss.

I think the single cab looks way cool and would prefer it to a double cab pickup.

There are basically 2 types of vintage Land Cruisers........
Type 1 ... are the ones where the previous owner has already made the sizable investment to correct all of the issues and this is reflected in the asking price.
Type 2 ... are the ones where the previous owner has not done squat and its up to you to make the sizable investment to correct the issues.
The common theme with either type is "sizable investment". In my opinion there is simply no way to get out of this inexpensively.

Believe it or not but there are actually plenty of people that can fix their own cars and I strongly believe that anyone looking in to using a 25 year old vehicle as a daily driver should try to at least get the basics down for wrenching. If this is a third or forth vehicle and the pockets are deep enough then again there should be no problem of getting this one sorted out. I know a few people that are so frugal that the only thing they let go is the smoke out of the chimney ( Belgium saying so this might get lost in translation) yet they drive 7x models for many years now because since they do their own maintenance and use as many used parts as possible and they consider it to be the “ cheapest” investment in the long run.

Theres one of two ways out of this :

1- do all the work yourself.....and still sink alot of money into basically redoing the whole thing. 16k out already+ another $10k.= -26k.
2- offload it for a loss and at least get half your money back. $8k is what id be shooting for. $16k out+$8k back.....= -8k.

3rd option.....having someone else do anything to this......will result in losing another $10k+ real fast and it still wont be done in 6mo. or quote possibly a year. And if i were a betting man id say you will be $15-20k into labor and parts to correct engine, axles, trans,wiring,brakes, correcting lift. etc. so net net with your purchase.....you will be out $30k+ easily.

Option 2 is a no brainer especially after watching that video.

Last edited:
There seems to be two POV's:

1. not that bad - all addressable by the home wrencher. (I think people are underestimating here)
2. dump it - too much work, will be too expensive. (I think people have been over dramatic here)

so...

Decided to ship the truck down to Ryan @ OTRAMM for a legit assessment. This way, I'll know exactly what the truck needs and can make an educated assessment. If it's too much work and I have to dump it, I'll be able to provide that info to the next buyer. If we decide to keep it, we'll know exactly what needs to be done and can prioritize the list of projects.

Until it gets to Ryan, I'm just playing a guessing game.

Is a great truck, I'd love to keep it. If I have to sell it, I want the next person to know exactly what's up.

Don't listen to that. If you sell that for $8k you're either nuts or very desperate.

OTRAMM is top notch. They'll get you setup right.
Sometimes building vehicles isn't about the numbers working out. This isn't real estate, it's a hobby (for the most part).
Build what you want, and enjoy it. You can't put a pricetag on that. Life's short. Live it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom