Builds 1993 refreshed (now gone) and 1995 build up with new OEM engine (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.snlandcruisers.com
After nearly four years, I am back in an 80!

Some of you may remember, I had a real nice 91 with a v8 swapped in that I rolled.

bad day.jpg

bad day 1.jpg

F(Z)J80 v8

That was a bummer for sure. From that chassis I built this.....

fj142.jpg

But I never finished it, sold it. While I was building it I bought a 100 and also kitted it out.

100.jpg

100 1.jpg

Which I also sold after a five month road trip in it to Panama and back. After that I picked up a 1984 HJ47 pickup and a 1990 PZJ70, both while on a trip in Latin America. I sold the 47 fast, of course! The PZJ70, I put about 3,000 miles on while using it as my DD and tried to sell it. I finally sold that truck to a client of mine and I am currently building it out for him. You can check that out here if you want,

Builds - PZJ70 build-refurbish!?

All the while I have been thinking about another 80. I almost bought an HDJ80 in Latin America but it was to beat down so I passed. Recently I have been considering getting a loan from my bank so I could get into a nice 80, the $8-12k range trucks. I wasn't real keen on this either though. I have a bunch of cash tied up in a new shop build so really only had about $5k to toss at an 80 purchase.

The other day a 99 100-series shows up local on CL, 190k on it and it has rear diff lock. It was $4500. I didn't want a 100 but this is a good deal. So I got the cash and made plans to go check it out the next day. That night a buddy sends me a link to a local 80 for sale, priced at $4750. Ok, I thought, tomorrow is Cruiser shopping day and one of these will come home with me. I made arrangements to go look at the 80 first.

So I go check them out, the 100 needed a bunch of stuff, a timing belt ASAP as it had never been done. Brakes, wheels (had 20's on it), tires and it was filthy plus a little beat up. I really didn't want another 100 so it was out fairly quick. Good deal though for somebody wanting a 100 to wheel.

I got the 80 for $4200, it is pretty friggin clean! Pics and more info to come......

Cheers

Last edited:
So the 80.....

It's a 11/1993. No magic dial but that's ok, I will do Harrops in it. It clicked over 226k on the ten block drive home. Not my favorite color but it is in my top five. I like the cloth, a lot. It is in killer condition too. That is important to me. No real clear coat peel on it but there are a few small chips that are starting to rust. Chassis is nice and rust free.

93 80 1.jpg

93 80 4.jpg

93 80 2.jpg

93 80 5.jpg

This morning next to a clients HDJ81.

93 80 6.jpg

Got a lot of the typical things to do to baseline it as well as bring it up to my standards. A load of parts are already in route to start that process. I have not decided yet over restoring the wheels vs powder coating them, probably just powder coat. No real mods planned until it is all up to par. Check engine light is on, I am betting it is o2's, although it did pass smog here in Boise no probs.

I do have plans to do up an 80 into a Ute but not this truck, it's to nice for that. This one I am going to keep long term and build it up. Use it as my DD, weekend wheeler, Baja trips, ect. End game will either be a 1HDT swap or a v8.

Cheers

Nice same interior as mine, if ya ever want get rid of the door cards let me know, I can’t ever find that pattern in the yards. Mine is a early 94

Immediate list to get it base lined and up to my standards:
-Check engine light, my money is on 02's or MAF.
-Throttle cable
-Power steering been leaking for what looks like a decade
-Hood and rear hatch shocks wasted
-Front speakers blown
-Various hoses to replace on engine
-New radiator, the original is not bad and I got a replacement with the truck but it is not OEM and I am fairly anal on these items
-Full tune and fluid change
-Knuckles are pretty bad
-Go through the brakes and e-brake
-Looks like the PHH and hoses already been done so that is good, although the heater valve looks slightly crusty
-Toss in a new water pump and blue fan clutch
-Get rid of the Eagle Eye headlights, probably go back to stock
-Fix a couple flares or replace, I don't plan to de-flare this truck
-Toss the running boards
-Both front door weather stripping and window runs, rear hatch weatherstripping as well
-Raining a lot last two days here, doesn't seem like the windshield or sun roof leak so that is good. I will be keeping a close eye on it the rest of this winter.

That is most of it I see so far. I am super anal about my interior and this one is really nice. So I got some TuffDuck covers coming and a dash cover to protect both. It really needs very little interior wise though, new stuffing on driver bottom, that is it really. The interior, paint and lack of chassis rust is really why I bought it.

I would say a lift and tires is likely in the next six months. I will run some @Delta VS radius arms when I do it, I already got a set of bushes ready to go! No other mods planned in the immediate future. Sliders be the first bit of armor I add and Harrops be the first addition the the drivetrain. Not even sure if I will do that this year, more than anything I just want it ready to rock for a month trip down to Baja, upgrades and mods can come later. Thing is, if you know my builds, I go all out even when I say I am not going to do that!

BTW, 93/94 has the best steering wheel in my opinion!

;)

Cheers

Nice same interior as mine, if ya ever want get rid of the door cards let me know, I can’t ever find that pattern in the yards. Mine is a early 94

There is actually the exact same color truck with the same brown cloth in my back yard that is a parts truck. Unfortunately for you or me, another local cruiserhead already robbed the door cards off it!

:(

Mine are a solid 8.5+/10 so I plan to try and preserve these as long as possible.

Cheers

Gold looks decent without a giant hole in the side... :D

It’s in such good shape I don’t really need anything from your donor. A flare or two but the ones I need are wasted on your truck.

Cheers

Looks clean! Welcome back.

Congrats on a sweet purchase. I prefer the 93-94 models also with the basic, no leather interior and manual seats. It’s too bad that finding one sans moon roof is nearly impossible.

No wonder it was such a good buy. It's only a "Land". Therefore 1/2 off........:grinpimp:

Congrats on a sweet purchase. I prefer the 93-94 models also with the basic, no leather interior and manual seats. It’s too bad that finding one sans moon roof is nearly impossible.

So you're saying I got lucky?

edit: and very nice rig @SNLC ! Stoked to see how this one builds out.

Lucky only comes in 045 paint. :)

First upgrades...

A1E40041-802C-44F3-A1F1-339333EE91E3.jpeg

F2811C6A-728B-41A9-99C7-7F809C46A1A1.jpeg

Only point here is to protect and preserve, looks don’t matter so much.

My steering wheel is in good condition for the age.

CE41FB56-2C3A-4EF4-80AC-4480AF98D4F0.jpeg

But who knows when it will be NLA. For $200 I couldn’t help myself!

7A4C55D7-8E15-49F6-BA5E-24AA3CD7CCC5.jpeg

Load of parts showing up today. Hood and rear hatch shocks in it which is good. What’s on it is driving me nuts.

Cheers

I have the SOR dash and seat covers also. I love the carpet look on the dash. Only bummer part was I planned to put patches on it but Velcro doesn’t stick to it.

I haven’t had much time for my 80 and I have only been using it around town. Only racked up 260 miles since I bought it.

I took the time today to fix some things and make it mo’ better!

The o2’s were a mess as I expected.

Bypassed the plug for a temp fix on this terminal that was damaged. I think I will splice in a pigtail from a parts truck to fix it for good. Check engine light is gone though and it-me are happy.

I installed these and hood struts, much better!

Cheers

While I was doing the o2’s I pulled the old crusty side steps.

It needs some sliders and a lift badly not to mention things like the knuckles rebuilt.

Cheers

First upgrades...

View attachment 1888526
View attachment 1888528

Only point here is to protect and preserve, looks don’t matter so much.

My steering wheel is in good condition for the age.

View attachment 1888529

But who knows when it will be NLA. For $200 I couldn’t help myself!

View attachment 1888530

Load of parts showing up today. Hood and rear hatch shocks in it which is good. What’s on it is driving me nuts.

Cheers
A new rubber wheel is only $200?

Mines nice, but shoot, I like that!

Had this old beast fired up so....

I took the opportunity to clean up the wheels.

Also got most of the engine bay and chassis clean in prep for upcoming repairs.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom