1993 rear locking diff swap into a 1997 axle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, I may have a line on a complete 1993 80 series axle with a factory locking diff. I own a 1997 without lockers. The Axle I have a line on does not have brakes on it. I am hoping I could buy the 1993 axle and simply take out the diff and plug it into my 1997 axle. Does that sound reasonable? If so I am going to drive the few hours to grab this hog up. Thanks everyone.

No you have to grind the third member to accommodate. Also the wiring is another issue. Are you trying to go stock OEM or using the 12 volt guys approach?

You have to do some research on this one. If you are swapping the ENTIRE axle, then you will need the wiring for the actuator to lock the axle, and it is not available from toyota anymore.

Last edited:
It more like notch the housing and then drill and tap some holes. IMO it would be better to swap the axle and put your brakes on it, then add the 12volt guy stand alone wire kit.
Not that big of a deal

What I was trying to say is swap the complete locked axle housing and third. the only issue I see is the 93 axle may not be a ABS axle, the gear ratio may not be the same.
It's only 5 bolts the brake lines and cables and it out, work yes but not tedious in IMO.

No you have to grind the third member to accommodate. Also the wiring is another issue. Are you trying to go stock OEM or using the 9volt guys approach?

You have to do some research on this one. If you are swapping the ENTIRE axle, then you will need the wiring for the actuator to lock the axle, and it is not available from toyota anymore.
Thanks for getting back to me. I was trying to go the OEM route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom