Builds 1993 PZJ77 - The Evolution Continues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jomelo

SILVER Star
Threads
This has been a pretty wild year for me. Both my personal and professional lives have turned sideways and I’ve now spent much of the year playing with land cruisers and chasing fish. Most of my cruiser acquisitions are impulse based - sometimes they work out and sometimes they don’t. I’m hopeful this one works out.

I saw the 1993 PZJ77 posted by @Stevo1981 earlier this summer. I’ve been wanting a 77 series but definitely knew I wanted any color other than the standard blue/silver combination. I assumed I would end up with white but this truck caught my eye because it’s a factory 6M1 green and I love that color on the 80 series. BUT I did not jump on it when it was listed because my focus was on tarpon season. Fast forward a month or slow and the fishing slowed down and the 77 series was still available - with a nice price reduction. So I bought it.

I had no plan when I bought it and had never imported a vehicle. I know my limitations so I looked at a map and realized that Ian (@SNLC) was not too far from where the truck was located. I have never worked with Ian but I gave him a call, told him the situation and he said he could help me get it imported and registered and also had some time in the shop available if it needed some work. My wheels started turned. A plan was hatched to get the truck to Ian’s and have him handle the CBP process and get a title from DMV. Usually, my plans never work out. But for whatever reason this one worked perfectly - we got the truck in the US and titled in an insanely short period of time.

Now my brain really got to working. I was going to attend the 70 Series Meet and Greet in Tennessee. My plan was to do it in an 80 Series. Maybe there was a chance I could make it in the 77 series?

Thanks to some awesome Mud members and vendors for helping me assemble the necessary parts to getting this truck in trail ready shape. Specifically, @wardharris, @orangefj45, @cruiseroutfit, and of course @SNLC.

The truck was bone stock. So far, here is the list of contemplated mods:
OME suspension kit
ARB front winch bumper
Come-Up 24v winch
New wheels and tires
Rebuild front end (bearings, tie rod ends, etc and eliminate the electronic hubs)
Harrop rear electric locker
Complete base-line

The truck has the original 1PZ engine and R151 manual transmission - both work fine. I’m looking for a good engine/trans combo for a swap but have not given that too much thought since it clearly will not happen before Windrock.

Last edited:
I’m writing this up remotely and don’t have access to a lot of my photos. But here are a few shots after the lift and bumper were installed. I still do not have a solution for a rear bumper. Was hoping that @wardharris and @orangefj45 had a Kaymar in stock but unfortunately they did not. I had a lead on another Kaymar but the timing won’t work out for Windrock. My focus right now is only going to be on things that can actually happen in the next couple of weeks. If it’s not available or @SNLC does not have the time to install then I am not going to consider it.

E5448016-FB14-4A8F-8A54-1507E568015C.jpeg
D5B50F6A-FF24-472F-AC13-D84F48F80C42.jpeg

Last edited:
Once it became apparent the truck may be ready in time for Windrock, I started to think about how it would get from Idaho to Tennessee - or even Florida. It quickly became apparent that if this truck were going to make it then it would have to be driven around 2,100 miles to Windrock. I don’t have a lot going on right now so I accepted my reality and started making plans. First call? @wardharris Why? There was zero chances I was going to make that trip in the factory seats. I once drove 10 hours one way in my old Troopy with the factory seats and it was not pleasant. I just knew @wardharris would have a set of seats in stock and he did not disappoint.

DBC5AE67-D964-4F13-9CCD-E51526921EF0.jpeg

94E2D868-74B9-41C9-A329-586A09DD226B.jpeg

I decided to go a little different route with my wheels. Bronze wheels are gaining popularity and look really good on green trucks. Lucky for me bronze was the only color SCS had in stock so I nabbed a set in the F5 series. These are 8” wheels and I have yet to decide if I’m going to run 255/85’s or 285/65. I’m leaning heavy toward the 285’s right now.

E1047CFF-9951-4011-B8BB-81C0D6894EBB.jpeg

Last edited:
This is a long shot but I am trying to get ideas for the “void” that was left by the JDM parking mirror. The mirror is no longer with the truck but the holes remain. Anyone got a mirror laying around? I thought about using the location for a HAM radio antenna mount. The truck has the door mounted mirrors so this was just the small parking mirror located on the passenger (left) side. Here is a photo of the mounting holes.

11225ECA-8197-49F2-AFCF-4679A723ED6A.jpeg

I love that green color. It was a heck of a deal too.

This is a long shot but I am trying to get ideas for the “void” that was left by the JDM parking mirror. The mirror is no longer with the truck but the holes remain. Anyone got a mirror laying around? I thought about using the location for a HAM radio antenna mount. The truck has the door mounted mirrors so this was just the small parking mirror located on the passenger (left) side. Here is a photo of the mounting holes.

View attachment 2071852
That little parking mirror appears to be fairly common in Japan so perhaps the military guys who are stationed there can help you source one.

The pics above with the ARB and winch were our first test fit. I have never fit this combo on a 70-series. The Comeup DV-12 is one big winch, looking at it I had doubts it was going to fit.

Well obviously it fit. So yesterday we decided to fit it better than when we just tossed it on to see how things fit. We pulled the bumper and clocked the winch.

6165B6EC-FE00-4399-835B-7F81700D5B9A.jpeg
1C356DF0-4FFB-4741-B6E3-050491AD9B24.jpeg

Everything is better now, cleaner look and easier to use the engage lever. We will get it back on the Cruiser today. I think we are still going to add some synthetic rope and some Factor55 goodies.

The Cruiser overall is in good shape. It does have some issues here and there, exhaust is pretty scabby for example but overall it is nice and solid.

Cheers

I have also not done the auto hub to free wheeling hub conversion before. I had all the front outer axle parts left over from the gold 70 conversion. They have 500 miles on them at most, are all ready cleaned up and painted. Some of the parts like the knuckles are new from Toyota.

8169524D-444C-4EC6-AF50-D02ACAB3CB30.jpeg

Unfortunately, when I went to install the hub on the last side I noticed the threads are damaged on the spindle. Hmnnnnn, I don’t recall this at all or recall dropping the spindle or anything like that. I gave it a go to clean up the threads and did make some progress but it is taking to much time and won’t be perfect. So yesterday I ordered up some Terrain Tamer spindles from Georg and got them on the way. Other than this, the front end is done.

FDFF7148-4487-4ED7-93FF-066C642D7E5E.jpeg

Cheers

I decided to go a little different route with my wheels. Bronze wheels are gaining popularity and look really good on green trucks. Lucky for me bronze was the only color SCS had in stock so I nabbed a set in the F5 series. These are 8” wheels and I have yet to decide if I’m going to run 255/85’s or 285/65. I’m leaning heavy toward the 285’s right now.

View attachment 2071845

I would run 255's on the 1PZ the 285's might be pushing the limits a bit to much on the highway

Comeup clocked and back in the ARB bar. Going to build a custom bracket to mount the control box back, this way it is bolted down securely and won’t be a problem with any lights added in the future.

18E7614D-51E7-4A05-BA43-B4D63CA9B90A.jpeg
7BE92080-EF97-4B40-8054-AE3733DEFB9B.jpeg

Cheers

I ran 235's on mine, no need for that excessive width. Tall and skinny

From my experience the 1PZ doesn't do too bad proving the power for the drive it just runs out of RPM around 70.

Agree with that. I haven’t decoded the axles but I am pretty sure it has 4.56 gears. Current 215’s it is at 3,000rpms doing 110kph.

The 1pz and 5spd pulls mountain passes better than the 1fz in my 80, not a lot better but better.

Cheers

Okay 255/85/16’s win the day. Need to figure out the radio situation. I’ve never owned a 24v truck before and this truck just has the dash mount speakers. I saw that I could get a power converter pretty easy. Is that what everyone is doing with their JDM’s? I considered just getting a single DIN 24 volt unit and just utilizing that setup for now. Decisions decisions.....

Okay 255/85/16’s win the day. Need to figure out the radio situation. I’ve never owned a 24v truck before and this truck just has the dash mount speakers. I saw that I could get a power converter pretty easy. Is that what everyone is doing with their JDM’s? I considered just getting a single DIN 24 volt unit and just utilizing that setup for now. Decisions decisions.....

I've got some grey door speaker pods in stock.....pop some of those in with some 6" speakers and you'll be all set and you'll have a place for a water bottle! 👍

Well that’s easy enough. At least we can get some decent noise. PM inbound.

Good timing because I think I'm just about out of them....I seem to be using quite a bit of inventory for my builds. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom