1993 Land Cruiser Starter Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My starter on my recently purchased Fzj80 is grinding when I let go of the key. It starts right up but when I let go of the key it makes a grinding sound. I have read so many threads already and to be honest they are so confusing lol! I know that the 1993 came with a 2.2 kw starter and since I live in Utah I want this starter. I want to try to either rebuild or buy a rebuilt one. It is a hard starter to find though. What would you suggest. If I rebuild then what parts should I buy and if I buy a new one. where can I find a real 2.2 kw that doesn't cost me a kidney. Thank you and new to Toyotas so don't roast me plzzz.

Pretty sure the 2.2kw version is available as a remanufactured one from Autozone or Oreilly's. Reman'd cost is about $150 (I replaced my starter just last week and was able to find them through either store, although they might have to order them in.

If you are just rebuilding it, typically it's just a matter of replacing the contacts which is an easy job. There are a few good writeups here on the forum (just search) on rebuilding them including servicing the motor. With the grinding noise you're having it's possible that you have a motor issue. You might also just check to make sure the starter is bolted in tightly. If it's loose the gear may be spinning as it disengages.

If it's grinding when you release the key, it's either not retracting due to it needing rebuilt or the contacts are still holding it engaged.

Two separate areas of "rebuild".....

Look for a complete kit from Toyota to do both aspects.

Or get a new/reman Denso from Rockauto.

I’d inspect it, pull it and rebuild. The parts are cheap and it doesn’t require any real special tools other than a 1 1/2” piece of wood to square up the contacts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom