1993 land cruiser "Flooding" and dying at stop light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have any recommendations for what appears to be my engine flooding? I read that these engines cant actually flood but I have a 93 and when the truck is cold no worries but when it has had time to warm up and then hit a stop light and try to take off on the green light it will either almost die or it will die, same thing happens if I turn into a parking lot or anything where i go from driving speed to coasting and then have to accelerate again from a low RPM. I can also feel it at highway speeds if I push the gas it will drop like a 100 rpms like it wants to die but at that speed the RPMs are too high. I have resorted to holding my brake and keeping the rpms at 1000 with the pedal while i sit at a stop light. If it does die sometimes it will restart right away but most of the time it smells heavily of gas and will not start for a while and when it does i have to rev the rpms immediately to keep it from dying again, then the engine will idle at 1500 rpms for a while. This has been plaguing me for a while and would like to figure out the issue.

I have new spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. I have checked my air intake hose. I have unplugged my O2 sensors. I have been told it is possibly my injectors, but I am trying the inexpensive stuff first. I have checked my EFI fuse. I am waiting on vacuum hoses to replace any of the lines that are cracked, wits end is waiting on a part before shipping. I have recently replaced my VAF(MAF) but it was doing this before the new one. I read a thread on here saying the accelerator cable could cause this issue, i dont know how that would cause this. I am waiting on banjo bolts to replace the fuel filter.

If anyone has any other inexpensive suggestions please let me know because having the truck die in the middle of the road and then having to wait 3 minutes isn't any fun.

I'd bet money your engine coolant temp sensor is bad. Your ECU thinks the engine is still cold and as a result is dumping fuel. There are 2 sensors. Both are screwed into the head under the intake manifold. The one I'm talking about, and a second one which operates the temp gauge in the dash cluster. IIRC, the one you want to investigate/swap is closer to the front of the head.

I feel your pain... I have an FJ80 and I think this is something to consider:

Fuel Pump Troubleshooting and Replacement

Thank you I will test my fuel pump and see if thats the issue.

I'd bet money your engine coolant temp sensor is bad. Your ECU thinks the engine is still cold and as a result is dumping fuel. There are 2 sensors. Both are screwed into the head under the intake manifold. The one I'm talking about, and a second one which operates the temp gauge in the dash cluster. IIRC, the one you want to investigate/swap is closer to the front of the head.

Is it this one above the oil filter? Looks like a tight squeeze and a lot of colorful words to get it out haha
Screen Shot 2012-03-01 at 4.37.27 PM.jpg

Thank you I will test my fuel pump and see if thats the issue.

Is it this one above the oil filter? Looks like a tight squeeze and a lot of colorful words to get it out haha
View attachment 2505465
Yes, that’s it. It’s been a number of years, but it’s not too bad from what I remember.

If this doesn’t do it, check your TPS. However, a failing TPS usually results in too high an idle.

Then, I bet is the ECT sensor as well. Has your MPG dropped a little as well.

I honestly have never checked since i have owned the truck and I haven't drive it that often to build up any data. With full armor and 4.88s though i didn't even want to check my mileage haha

I feel your pain... I have an FJ80 and I think this is something to consider:

Very little coolant loss.

Then, I bet is the ECT sensor as well. Has your MPG dropped a little as well.

Thank you guys!! It appears to have been the ECT; part number is 89422-35010, and new gasket 90430-12005. I swapped it out today after work and I went to feel how to unplug it and it literally just fell apart. The only thing that took long was screwing it back in because i was worried about over tightening it but come to find out that is nearly impossible to do unless you're really torquing it down. This was a much needed win for a terrible Monday where everything else went wrong, so again thanks guys!

IMG_0122.jpeg

Thank you guys!! It appears to have been the ECT; part number is 89422-35010, and new gasket 90430-12005. I swapped it out today after work and I went to feel how to unplug it and it literally just fell apart. The only thing that took long was screwing it back in because i was worried about over tightening it but come to find out that is nearly impossible to do unless you're really torquing it down. This was a much needed win for a terrible Monday where everything else went wrong, so again thanks guys!

View attachment 2511867
That’s cool and all, but how is it running now?

😜

That’s cool and all, but how is it running now?

😜

It hasn’t died yet (Knock on wood) and it feels like it’s running a lot better. I had also unplugged my o2 sensors to see if they are part of the issue but when I plugged them back in the truck idled around 400rpm so I unplugged them again. I also did a bunch of stop and go tests in a parking lot where
I could usually get it to die but now I can’t.

Did you disconnect the battery after swapping out the ECT and plug? I’m not sure about the earlier ones, but idle on the 95-97 should be around 700 RPM.

Did you disconnect the battery after swapping out the ECT and plug? I’m not sure about the earlier ones, but idle on the 95-97 should be around 700 RPM.
I did not, I didn’t want to mess with anything else haha every time I unplug the battery it runs like crap until it relearns which usually takes a day or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom