1993 KZJ78 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First, I would like to thank everyone who has posted info here for fellow Prado/Land Cruiser II owners.

I purchased this KZJ78 a few weeks ago from a German who used it to go on Safari here in Botswana. He kept pretty good maintenance records on it so I felt comfortable buying something this old knowing it had been maintained. The reason I wanted something this old is so that I am able to import it once my year-long tour here is finished. As you can tell from the pictures, he had some modifications done to it that are functional, but not quite up to my standard of workmanship. For those who don't know, it is REALLY hard to find competent mechanics/fabricators in Botswana, and the ones you can find are REALLY expensive. Unfortunately, I was limited on the amount of weight I could ship over and I was not able to bring my tools with me. Purchasing tools here is also really expensive (a floor jack that would sell for $50 in the states goes for $150 here). Therefore anything bigger than a brake job means I have to use local mechanics or ship the car to Pretoria where there is a plethora of competent auto repair shops.

Initially, I am focusing on getting the car mechanically sound so I can take it on an overland trip across Southern Africa. I will list what I am having/have done in no particular order.

Purchase, fit and install Front Runner Roof Rack with 2x jerry can holders
Purchase fit and install bull bar with Winch In Winch
KC Highlights 7" LED Spot lights
Ironman 2" Foam Cell Suspension
Replace all front suspension bushings
Replace Valve cover, turbo to crankcase, crankcase and rear main seal gasket (Change oil and filter)
Install all new cooling system hoses, radiator, fan and thermostat
Repair Odometer
Repair Speedometer
Replace 4 tyres
20% anti smash and grab tint all around
Install new fuel filter
Install Ironman LED light kit on roof rack
Raptor line wheel arches
Fit and install snorkel
powder coat wheels
install new rear bumper with spare holders
Install front runner 40l water tank and holder
3"downpipe to 2.5" Exhaust
EGR delete
Install EGR temp gauge

That's all I can think of for now. I will update this thread with pictures and comments as things happen.

Before Driver Side.jpg

Before Interior Driver side.jpg

Before Interior Rear.jpg

before passenger side.jpg

Before Rear.jpg

Some pics of the fixed oil leaks. Found one at the turbo pipe, oil cooler, and valve cover gasket, fortunately,
Engine after right side.jpg
Engine after left side.jpg
Engine after right side.jpg
After turbo pipe.jpg
After oil cooler leak.jpg
no rear main seal leak. Should be getting some new shoes on her next week and maybe a new front bumper and winch. Sourcing parts from SA has been an exercise in extreme patience. I'm not particularly happy with the braze job on the turbo pipe, but it will suffice until I can get a new pipe in two weeks.

the stupid corrugated oil return bit is most likely going to crack, my genuine one cracked from new after around 6 months with road use, I cut the corrugated bit off and stuck a bit of high temp oil hose there in its place

the stupid corrugated oil return bit is most likely going to crack, my genuine one cracked from new after around 6 months with road use, I cut the corrugated bit off and stuck a bit of high temp oil hose there in its place
Sorry, I'm still learning my way around these engines. Is the piece you speak of the tube that comes off the bottom of the turbo and goes to the crankcase?

Yes, second last picture, the oil return line from the turbo. The new one will be good for a while, but will eventually crack as well due to vibration over time. Maybe have a plan with some rubber hose and clamps for it when it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom