1993 HZJ75 Troopy - interior build and other not so fun stuff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone!

New here, after lurking for a while and getting tons of good info figured I'd make a thread.

So long story short, this is my new rusty ol' bucket of bolts. A mate of mine did some extensive rust repairs and a raptor coat, and here I am.

• 575k km, original engine and trans
  • Interior pretty much stripped out
  • Some electrical issues
  • no A/C (fitted for but not with)
  • got a set of almost new 33x12.5r muddies thrown in (old mate is upgrading to 35s)

IMG_20210628_172334.jpg

PXL_20210628_090725992.jpg

So I got to work ripping out old electrics and trying to find earths. Lots of random wires everywhere, ripped a whole bunch out, labelled the rest. Rippped out the immobiliser harness (there was no immobiliser anyway), it was a real shoddy job. There are some missing trim panels but that's a job for later.

PXL_20210628_091315354.jpg

Patched up the seats with tape until I can figure out a more permanent solution. Covers have been ordered.

PXL_20210628_091321743.MP.jpg

Dug around in the dash, tidied up some wiring, found some broken fan controls (cables don't attach to the control levers), added to the list of defects.

PXL_20210628_091512360.jpg

Engine bay looks alright, radiator is new, second battery is not wired up. Gonna do a fluid and filter change, do the t-belt and leave it for a bit.

Now for the interior. Oh boy I've been using a lot of expanda foam. The idea was to fill the wall cavities with it, cut channels for the wiring, then chuck the new trim panels on. The roof will be covered with insulation from car builders and then probably some fabric. Will have to figure that out.

PXL_20210628_091334644.jpg

This is what the new trim panels will look like, MDF covered in marine carpet. Gonna cut some holes in it for the anderson plugs and switches and stuff. Gotta figure out how to make it look neat.

PXL_20210628_091413570.jpg

New plastic door cards (ignore the missing ash tray). Stuck some of the same car builders insulation on the other side. Yet to test for vibration.

PXL_20210628_091440849.MP.jpg

So I'm thinking the next steps are:
  • Wire up the second battery (got an isolator handy)
  • Run a thick cable to a new fuse box in the rear
  • Wire up anderson plugs, voltmeter, interior lighting
  • Put the new trim boards on
  • Fault-find the alternator and earths (all my warning lights are on)
  • Install the extended greaseable shackles
  • Install some second hand draws I got from facebook marketplace
  • Wire up random spotties and light bars I got lying around
  • Install a roof rack
  • Do a full service and t-belt
And at some point later:
  • install A/C compressor (got one spare)
  • New front bar and winch
  • new leafs and shocks
  • snorkel
  • repair or replace sliding windows (this is gonna be good)
  • Spare wheel carrier for the rear bar
Let me know what you guys think!

Wow…lots of work. I’m not sure what to think about the foam, but if it works for you then there you go. Keep on plugging away. Cheers. -Daniel Kent

The foam is hydroscopic , it absorbs water. I would get it out. I nearly did the same on a 1960 fb Holden ute til every man and his dog said NO. The ute is still rust free.

Get that foam out. It is like a sponge. Water will condense between foam and panel, will soak into the foam and the brown cancer will flower....
In half a year you will also smell it, as the humid foam will become an ecosystem of it's own kind.
The smell will go away in 1.5 years, though, once the rust has created some venting holes...
Saw that happening before.

Progress has been a bit slow, since it's been raining non stop and the bloody thing doesn't fit under the carport. I had to cover the leaky windows up with some tarp :banana:

1626507988924.png

Thanks everyone for the warning about the foam, they have been noted! However, it was too late and I just rolled on. We'll see how she goes. Here're the trim panels:

1626508102096.png
1626508117061.png

The fuse box behind the panel is fed from the second battery (wired to the starting battery via a voltage-sensing isolator). For now, the only switch is for the new interior LEDs. And there's an anderson plug for the fridge, two usb ports and a voltmeter.

I also threw on the old spotties, an antenna for the stereo (on the bar) and one for the UHF (on the roof, existing mounting point). God, I hate crimping coax.

The rusty-ass bull bar is going to go, to be replaced with a winch compatible one. So I'm just leaving it for now.

1626508346979.png
1626508451169.png

The OEM steering wheel which was falling apart has been replaced, too. LMK if anyone wants a free stock wheel. I also got some nice seats from a 78 series. They bolted straight on, using the existing rails (came without rails).

1626508554850.png
1626508611600.png

I got some vinyl flooring from ebay to replace my cardboard mats.... aaand stepped in the same pile of s*** as jblueridge in his thread. Serves me right for not doing my research. This is the final result:

1626508821801.png

Wow. I thought packing and shipping to USA caused the stuff I bought to lose its shape.

Almost new roofliner and interior roof rails out of a 78 series. Got em for a carton of beer at a local pop top conversion place. Stuck 6mm insulation foam on the inside. Turned out aight.

Drawers are in too! Got em second hand. Very snug fit due to my thicker trim panels. Had to pretty much hammer em in haha.

PXL_20210723_085929294.MP.jpg

Basket and awning are on 👌

Not happy with the lack of reinforcement on the basket but that's what I had lying around. Probably gonna replace in the future but it'll do for throwing dirty shovel and maxtrax on.

PXL_20210724_090845263.MP.jpg

PXL_20210724_090914155.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom