1993 FZJ80 Cummins 5.9 12v Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had a friend help get it back to his shop, it has heated floors, a nice car lift and plenty of tools.
I installed the Larry B's FSS wiring harness w/relay, cleaned up some wiring details, installed my trans cooler lines and mounted the cooler in front of the intercooler, I might relocate...
Installed the shift linkage and the t case linkage...
Just fired it up for the first time in 4 years! Engine sounds amazing!
Now on to tidying up some more electrical details, need to purchase a new dodge alternator as mine, sitting for 4 years is completely frozen...
I did order a 96 fuel filter bracket so I can use a spin on water/fuel separator/filter...the 98 fuel filter housing is just too close to my brake booster and I already moved the engine trans forward as such as I would like.
4EE07690-FA94-48BF-A491-DF5FB3300935.jpeg

Had a friend help get it back to his shop, it has heated floors, a nice car lift and plenty of tools.
I installed the Larry B's FSS wiring harness w/relay, cleaned up some wiring details, installed my trans cooler lines and mounted the cooler in front of the intercooler, I might relocate...
Installed the shift linkage and the t case linkage...
Just fired it up for the first time in 4 years! Engine sounds amazing!
Now on to tidying up some more electrical details, need to purchase a new dodge alternator as mine, sitting for 4 years is completely frozen...
I did order a 96 fuel filter bracket so I can use a spin on water/fuel separator/filter...the 98 fuel filter housing is just too close to my brake booster and I already moved the engine trans forward as such as I would like.
View attachment 2501181
I like the color. What is it called?

Color is still in the Toyota family...from a Scion XB
Teal mica I believe
Looks good. I just had mine done in Ford Abyss Grey while I have the Cummins pulled.
09AE8E63-1EC0-4A18-B0B0-8264AAFE39F8.jpeg
04F40805-DD18-4F4F-AD5D-4CDAF12A1354.jpeg

That has got to be the shortest bed I've ever have seen on a rollback.
My buddy uses it to haul skid loaders and mini excavator’s... has dumpsters too. Easy to haul my rig. It could have gone back a couple more feet. Hahaha

That has got to be the shortest bed I've ever have seen on a rollback.
Lol. I thought the same thing. It looks like they took a dump truck and photoshopped the bed and cruiser on.
OP, that is a great color.

Dang man you did it! A woo f’n pig to you!

Hello out there! This project has been on hold due to many reasons, life, covid, life and other day to day issues like many of us!
Update. I am out of the loop on just where I am at with this project it has been so long since I have worked on it.
I could use some help.
It fires right up, Moves on it own power in Reverse, and in Drive. I have a micro squirt system running my A442 transmission mated to my cummins 5.9 diesel.
Trans fluid is correct, throttle linkage is correct. Here is what I am experiencing:
Connected to my microsquirt using my laptop and EFI Tuner Studio with the gauges displayed on the laptop, I have all gauges reading correctly, engine coolant temp, vehicle speed, TPs, line pressure, RPM's all moving and displaying properly.
My problem is: I can select on my laptop each gear as I'm driving and it shifts great, however, it will not shift on its own!
For some unknown reason my dash tach stopped working as I am trying to trouble shoot this issue, the tach on my laptop shows the engine rpms so I know the pickup sensor in the bell housing is working. I believe the truck would still shift properly even though the gauge in my dash might not be picking up the signal since I am getting. a reading on my laptop.
Anyone familiar with Tuner Studio in connection with running a Microsquirt system? Verify I have my settings properly entered...ect...

I am so close and just want to get it driving again!
Any help would be appreciated.

Any luck getting it sorted?
I have the HGM a442 controller so its different but, in diagnostic mode it acts like you describe, just a thought as I have no experience with the microsquirt.
I ended up getting the dakota digital tach hooked up to the alternator after the first one failed. It runs a signal to both the hgm display and the dash needle, hooked it up to the ignitor on the driver side wheel well.

Any luck getting it sorted?
I have the HGM a442 controller so its different but, in diagnostic mode it acts like you describe, just a thought as I have no experience with the microsquirt.
I ended up getting the dakota digital tach hooked up to the alternator after the first one failed. It runs a signal to both the hgm display and the dash needle, hooked it up to the ignitor on the driver side wheel well.
@gdctaco - It looks like it might be a firmware issue with the Microsquirt controller. Im trying to get it re-flashed and go from there. I will keep you posted! Thanks for the assistance!

Update...I did have a firmware issue with the Microsquirt controller. I had it re-flashed and sent back to me. Plugged it in and boom...drives and shifts! Ive put about 700 miles on it already and have been loving driving this rig! So far I am about 2 tanks in and I'm getting around 16-17 mpg for local road driving on stock settings on the p-pump.

How’s the A442 holding up on this guy?
Hey there, sorry for the delay getting back! this has been a blast to drive! the A442 so far seems very solid. I have put about 3500 miles on this set up without any issues. Getting closer to 19-20 mpg depending on highway or local driving. Still working on some shift point adjustments using Tuner Studio program, but almost have it down. I know that Skocktower on this forum has around 80k miles on his swap so far, probably more currently. I would say all being said at this point...if I were to do it again...I would do it! I would just be sure to gather all of my parts before I began digging in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom