1993 FZJ80 - CEL for code 83 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '93 has a CEL for code 83, which according to the FSM is an ECT ECU communication error for the ESA1 circuit. From what I've read, when all ECT ECU codes (83, 84, and 85) are thrown together it's usually a bad ECU, but I haven't found much info about code 83 alone. I replaced the ECU with new P/N 89661-60221 just in case, but the same code reappears immediately after each reset.

Has anyone encountered this code before?

Thanks!

It was addressed here... CODE #83 #84 #85 93FZJ80 issue help

If the LC is running fine, you could attempt to clear the code and drive it--see if the code comes back. If not, que sera sera...

You say “appears immediately after reset” does it appear as soon as you start/drive or when you turn on key?

It was addressed here... CODE #83 #84 #85 93FZJ80 issue help

If the LC is running fine, you could attempt to clear the code and drive it--see if the code comes back. If not, que sera sera...

Unless I missed a subthread in that post, I did replaced the ECU with the new P/N and cleared the codes, but it returns.

You say “appears immediately after reset” does it appear as soon as you start/drive or when you turn on key?

Soon after I start the engine, I don't necessarily have to drive it for it to reappear.

Unless I missed a subthread in that post, I did replaced the ECU with the new P/N and cleared the codes, but it returns.

Soon after I start the engine, I don't necessarily have to drive it for it to reappear.

Clear the code as you have. Then do the diagnostic jumper and turn on key, do not start and see if code reappears. It sounds like you are not clearing your code.
I would disconnect and apply a product such as ACF50 to any and all connectors affected by the system. A small amount of corrosion in the connectors can cause the faults. It did for me anyways!

Clear the code as you have. Then do the diagnostic jumper and turn on key, do not start and see if code reappears. It sounds like you are not clearing your code.
I would disconnect and apply a product such as ACF50 to any and all connectors affected by the system. A small amount of corrosion in the connectors can cause the faults. It did for me anyways!

After reset I get the "normal" steady blinking in error-read mode to verify the codes were cleared. I also checked the ECU pins/plugs and they look very clean. I even played with the Throttle Position Sensor adjustment a little before running out of time, but the code still comes back within minutes of starting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom