Builds Sold! Land Crusher - 1993 FZJ80 3x Locked - Introduction and Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd still say it's worth it to change those gaskets since everything is opened up. The baffle is not removable that I'm aware of but it wasn't an issue since I just cleaned it out with brake cleaner.

In addition to the valve cover gasket removing the valve cover makes it easy to replace the PCV valve and the brittle grommet that falls in. This seals up the vacuum system.

For the wiring I wrapped mine in electrical tape, then covered it with new wire loom, then zip tied the loom together. The key thing for people with EGR is to zip tie the harness to the clip (or if the clip is broken the clip mount) so that it won't contact the EGR pipe. Even without EGR still secure the harness so it doesn't move around.

The valve cover gasket is a few hour project at most. The oil pump cover gasket is more involved but makes sense to do since its one of the top three oil leak locations (valve cover gasket and distributor O ring are the others). If you have the fan and belts removed you are right in the zone to tackle the oil pump cover. With the radiator out its even better.

I'd still say it's worth it to change those gaskets since everything is opened up. The baffle is not removable that I'm aware of but it wasn't an issue since I just cleaned it out with brake cleaner.

In addition to the valve cover gasket removing the valve cover makes it easy to replace the PCV valve and the brittle grommet that falls in. This seals up the vacuum system.

For the wiring I wrapped mine in electrical tape, then covered it with new wire loom, then zip tied the loom together. The key thing for people with EGR is to zip tie the harness to the clip (or if the clip is broken the clip mount) so that it won't contact the EGR pipe. Even without EGR still secure the harness so it doesn't move around.

The valve cover gasket is a few hour project at most. The oil pump cover gasket is more involved but makes sense to do since its one of the top three oil leak locations (valve cover gasket and distributor O ring are the others). If you have the fan and belts removed you are right in the zone to tackle the oil pump cover. With the radiator out its even better.

Damnit, you've convinced me. Do you know the part numbers for the oil pump cover gasket and the distributor O-ring?

Any chance you have a few links to writeups on how to change them?

TIA

Edit: Found a writeup (How to Replace Oil Pump seal w/ Pics). Just need the correct gasket PN now.

Edit Again: PNs are lower in the writeup I linked above.

Idler Pulley Part # 16603-66010
Oil Pump Seal Part # 15188-66020
Philip head bolts part # 15183-66020 quantity #7

Front Crank Shaft Seal part #90311-52022

Last edited:
Start here and PM me if needed and I can give you my phone number for tips since I recently completed the work. On my link above in this thread I have some photos and notes from how it went.

How to Replace Oil Pump seal w/ Pics

Distributor O ring is easy but you will need a timing light once it's put back together to adjust the base ignition timing. I'd wait to do that one until you have the engine back together and running.

Forgot to mention the front crank seal is part of the job and isn't hard to do.

Start here and PM me if needed and I can give you my phone number for tips since I recently completed the work. On my link above in this thread I have some photos and notes from how it went.

How to Replace Oil Pump seal w/ Pics

Distributor O ring is easy but you will need a timing light once it's put back together to adjust the base ignition timing. I'd wait to do that one until you have the engine back together and running.

Forgot to mention the front crank seal is part of the job and isn't hard to do.

Thanks! I actually had the distributor and wires replaced when I had the shop do the lift and tires. I assume they replaced the O-ring, but I'll check.

Thanks! I actually had the distributor and wires replaced when I had the shop do the lift and tires. I assume they replaced the O-ring, but I'll check.

If it was just a cap/rotor and wires its unlikely they pulled the distributor. Never hurts to check though.

@ZackR - Did you replace the idler pulley too?

I didn't replace my idler pulley since it still works and didn't have much play. If it wasn't in decent shape I would just remove it rather than replace (it really isn't necessary).

If it was just a cap/rotor and wires its unlikely they pulled the distributor. Never hurts to check though.

Any chance you know the PN for the distributor O-ring?

It was hot AF today in Austin, so I didn't get out in the garage until after the sun went down. Made a little bit of progress while waiting on items to get back from powder-coater.

I used the flex-plate inspection access to put a 14mm deep impact socket on the flex plate bolt and immobilize the crank. Then used this badass 3/4" drive 38" long breaker bar to loosen the 33mm crank bolt. It was still pretty difficult to loosen. Can't imagine doing it with a smaller breaker.

8221322_B_0_A79_4750_8_E8_E_DD6848_D3_D81_B.jpg

82_D68230_6_BF5_41_BF_9_DD0_EF665597_BAC4.jpg

0774_FB47_2_AFE_4158_82_E5_715_D8_A4238_EB.jpg

I also noticed that I am randomly missing a bolt on the transmission bell housing.

3_A3_DF805_7341_4081_BA3_B_549_F344_D6515.jpg

I was able to follow this badass writeup and remove the oil pump cover plate (How to Replace Oil Pump seal w/ Pics). Used a #3 JIS bit, small hammer, and a 1/4" socket. They came out without a hiccup, which I was very pleased with.

E7502_C39_6562_4_B54_8560_9_B53_DE3998_FB.jpg
d

Finally, I took the opportunity to compare the OEM JIS screws with some stainless Allens I had.

The OEM screws are about 13.45mm
E7322_E29_0_B17_4844_87_FF_5687523_F76_B5.jpg

The M6 stainless Allen bolts I had were just a hair under 12mm.
58_C64898_3862_4_E82_8_F89_BCFA54071_E62.jpg

Obviously on such a short fastener, thread engagement is important. But I can't imagine the oil pump cover sees much load.

At this point I'm not sure if I am going to replace them with new OEM screws, or aftermarket stainless torx/allens. In the perfect world I would use M6x1.0 flathead stainless steel torx that are exactly 13.45mm long. Finding flathead stainless steel M6 torx is a tall order in itself. Let alone 13.45mm long, which is an uncommon size.

I went with OEM since they were available and are known to work .I figure another 200k before I do it again and it wasn't an issue getting the screws out .

Made some progress today. A friend fabricated an aluminum EGR block off plate for me, so I was able to finish my EGR delete.
EB28265_D_F3_A3_4_DC2_A993_D40_D433870_F4.jpg

I also finished the PHH install and capped the coolant line under the lower intake manifold so I can bypass throttle body coolant lines.
149_F108_E_7_CD4_459_A_A86_F_728_CF3_D89_F0_D.jpg

Then I replaced the heater valve, finished the firewall heater hoses, and bypassed the rear heater.
B52_DC2_E7_1721_4343_A0_DB_3650_CB233_EF6.jpg

D317_FE0_F_F5_B1_4_D2_D_ADF3_D2450_E5_E47_D2.jpg

I followed this writeup and drilled/tapped a 1/8" NPT port for my AutoMeter Water temp gauge. Koso slim water temp gauge install (Just FYI, the writeup uses a 1/8" NPT tap, but the Koso water sensor is 1/8" BSPT. So you either need a BSPT tap if you want to use Koso unit, or find 1/8" NPT water temp sensor which is much more common.)
DD9_BF1_FA_462_A_4_D0_C_AA76_93_E25_C711_B1_F.jpg

0_AF558_B2_62_EC_49_EF_A2_C7_32_E62_EBB43_D2.jpg

There is a new part available for the rear heater delete. PM if interested

27zgpb0rXfDMWl4lkWSn9fkDnGJAdvF5Wn9xTiEkrkf9t8WVA2vv3l0tgW5PoWAnJhWyuAT2NX0tRYhLbk83m_3ZTUtsoz9PB8VYemVuxEOBPxNBlgTK-jQ-4eqCiuqwcPMBsJeSDUQ8kkKrGbnLYA-zlX01vteqcBZHNa0xv7AKMURSX7E0KsZrWAf4HyB_Pu32Cmg__aR6DaY5sI7hb7210VAEUUglqPmnEM0CHLQ9_FilNvtoqWSOMTeq4mMuKHVAkPRTlFMyVoX300k42xE3itjAH1YNo4Rj51Z1_51fDkKoVG9LsNnwCNkpeVloXErDNuM0L7Y3rkgKqWsdIC05iriSLOq1KqvAZhVxgdi1xOdCKFZ6rQq6leC_s-fHoFXKuTbsS2DpOcjgvE-Dh9B0KT59-b9bP4BvrLZCZrEMuNXgF-1Kyeg644ujUHsmoDCLoBXN0oC_RxMzhdbB4VHQ_bVTHF7bHxs_iyVteT87ywwp7DOS_V9ZBucuoU4zjkzjbyZJwlB8BBAazz5MKtnrYkF1ppU-J0iHOyfOV1TijUndSEn8TCk7RYI4P6keOTUKjiLW-vDbccT4i1u83_u2Sde-K8Q1XQbroyVF=w1421-h947-no

I went with OEM since they were available and are known to work .I figure another 200k before I do it again and it wasn't an issue getting the screws out.

I agree, I’m just going to use OEM.

Any suggestions on how to get the front main seal out without marring the crank nose?

876201_F9_81_A3_4116_8_CE7_F9449880081_E.jpg

Still working on pulling the front seal.

But I got the oil pump cover plate back on and test-fit the OEM fan shroud to the Ron Davis radiator. Shroud required a little trimming/modification, but I think it fits well.

910_B15_CC_EF30_491_A_B434_FD72_A013_D8_EA.jpg

There are a few gaps where the shroud isn't flush with the radiator. I may add some foam tape to seal it up. Does anyone have any suggestions on what foam to use?

On the crank seal I just used a flathead screwdriver with another one to pivot off of, up against the timing cover .

Small update. I’m waiting on a bunch of random parts, so I bled the brakes and mocked up my Derale power steering cooler.

I used stainless steel nutserts in the crossmember, and you could hang a winch off of it now. Ha!

26_F452_CA_73_C7_4_B82_89_C6_1_E40886_BEC23.jpg

8_EDA5_D63_4426_4644_99_DF_49_EEF1_BC1760.jpg

FFD320_C0_608_B_4684_B1_CA_83_B4752_A6_CBA.jpg

652_C3_E94_A082_457_B_BAD2_D73634_FC366_B.jpg

67568_F4_E_BA9_C_44_B8_BFB1_2_A93602_D3_E0_B.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got everything back together enough to start the truck. I'm waiting on USPS to deliver the rubber exhaust isolators. And I still need to top off the trans fluid, bleed the power steering system, and tie down the battery. At that point I can drive the truck.

Once I get the truck back on the road, I need to charge the A/C system, install the bumper and sliders, and finish the dual battery setup. Plus lots of other random odds and ends.

But I just didn't want the truck to sit any longer without being mobile!

How do you think it sounds? Is that normal valvetrain noise?

How about that Otramm stainless exhaust?! The Otramm exhaust is desigend for a 95-97 with the in-line cats. I did a conversion to make it work on the 93-94. I'll do a writeup on how to convert it. I'll also get better pics and video. Sorry for the camera-flip angle. It was late last night!

So I just realized - My dumbass started and idled the truck for an hour without any power steering fluid in the system. I hope I didn’t just burn up my brand new pump. :cry:

I’m going to fill up and report back.

I feel like an imbecile either way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom