1993 FJZ LAND CRUISER CRANKS BUT NO FIRE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I"ve owned my LC for about 24 years now.... love it. Anyway, she has 330,000 plus miles and has always started right up. Couple days back she turns great but won't start. CEL comes on along with the other ignition panel lights....... but no fire in her belly. Checked all fuses, battery connections, wires, dizzy for spark (none) and sprayed Deox on all important points and brushed them and have narrowed it to the IGNITER or COIL. I ordered an igniter today off eBay that seller said was bench tested for 36 bucks (local Toyota dealer quoted me $540.00) so it was worth the gamble. If that doesn't do it I'll put a now coil on too. I'll post my results as I get the parts in. Might help someone someday.

If it were me, I'd get my FSM out and test the old igniter and coil before i spend any money.

So I put in a new igniter and no dice. Gonna put in a new Beck Arnley distributor and maybe cure the prob. All dash lights on. CEL on but no spark....

Stopped raining so I got out again today and pulled the coil. Not to difficult after I got the battery box out to remove the 4 screws holding the coil.
Found corrosion on the main coil wire to distributor at the top of coil. White and rust. Rubber looked good so not sure how moisture got in there. Anyway I cleaned it up and sprayed Deoxit to a nice shiny surface. Took a few pics to show all the white oxidation that came out.

F7B35863-805C-490F-82CF-A2446A5849C0.jpeg

3F319295-6D32-43E7-9430-C6DBF968D53E.jpeg

BC8A0153-FF2A-474F-9D06-711ECB09881D.jpeg

The coil wire into the top of the coil was equally oxidized and I sprayed and lightly sanded the male (top one in pic was a mess). I’ve used Deoxit on my guitar and amps over the years and it’s worked wonders in hard to get places.

0343AADE-8010-4B62-9E79-21C6982E74E9.jpeg

20E7154A-C60B-4B68-BA62-BE37AD4C3E49.jpeg

I tested continuity on fuseable links and opened the harness and traced the wires within the fuse box to find everything making good contact. I had tested the coil to distributor wire because of the no spark ground arc fail but found very high resistance. So I ordered a full new Denso spark plug harness set (second set in my 23 years owning this LC) and plugged in the new coil to distributor wire and she fired right up. I took a couple pics of the old and new wire on the meter. The old wire showed very low conductivity.

DCC0F3F1-B71B-4AE9-BD77-5B0911FE7B81.jpeg

80670809-85AD-4D55-A161-F84875FC3F34.jpeg

With the amount of corrosion you cleaned out of that coil tower, I'd made sure your new coil wire boot makes a good water tight seal. Otherwise you might end up with this same problem all over again.

With the amount of corrosion you cleaned out of that coil tower, I'd made sure your new coil wire boot makes a good water tight seal. Otherwise you might end up with this same problem all over again.

Good advice. I used plenty of the dielectric lube that came with the new Denso set and pushed them in all the way. Thx

The 94 I had did the same thing and turned out being the mass air flo sensor. I replaced it with a new oem sensor but you can clean them and that “may” help. I don’t know just an idea.

Good tip. Now I’ve got to study the mass air flo sensor. I spent about 150.00 on parts doing this repair and learned a lot. Out of 330,000 miles and lots of Sierra, Rocky, Wyoming, Oregon, Nevada, Montana, fishing and hunting trips this is the first fail to start I’ve had.

I guess the ‘93 will be a VAF too then. Now for home study before I get stuck in the boonies.

Yes the 93 uses the VAF too, the change over from VAF, to Mass Air Flow Sensor started with the 95 Land Cruiser. That's also the change over point from OBD used on 1994 and older trucks, to the OBD2 used on 1995, and newer trucks.

When my vfm was bad it would crank if you floored it but had no power. If you end up needing one let me know, I have a spare. They aren't exactly easy to find these days.

Got to my new Denso plug harness set today and took a few pics of new wires compared to the old wires (and I mean old). This pic series is not for the pros here but might be helpful to the guys just learning ignition, spark and combustion.
The old plug harness consistently showed high resistance and the new wires showed much better conductivity. Also, I show a few measurements here but the values were all very close.
So, you may think you have good ignition (like I did) when in fact you aren’t “running on all cylinders” very well. I was smelling unburnt gas (especially at startup) before this coil and harness wire change and now she is smooth with no gas smell.

View attachment 1611538

8221A520-FFC0-4AEB-AE22-746D89D71A16.jpeg

5C40EB51-9E55-4FDE-A587-EC3B5333BF93.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom