1993 cruiser is a slug. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1993 land cruiser in rapid city South Dakota
4.88 gears, 36 inch tires. I feel like when I pull out onto the interstate it just falls on its face. We just bought this. I expected a lot more from a Toyota 6 cylinder. we have ran 1985 22 re's for years. a person that we know had this up for sale... but it is a slug. lockers front rear. not sure what to look at as to why it feels so under powered.

I know the mini trucks very well.. cruisers are new to me.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ho...-axle-rock-crawler-thread.257685/#post6497297

Did you lose a bet and have say that? :)

Just kidding, seriously though my 92 is a bigger slug but she will never be more than a iron and steel slug. :steer:

But it's so much fun to be a part of such a great lineage.

Last edited:
Definitely shouldn't feel slower than an 85 pickup.

What rpm's are you seeing just before upshifts?

Tire pressure where it should be?

You need the 80 series state of mind. :)

How many miles, whats the maintenance history, compression numbers ? You do realize the power to weight ratio of an 80 is pretty lame.

^^^^that! when I first got my 97 LX it was a slug also. But after some work she is a lot better, not fast just not as bad.

I would start with:
plugs and wires
dizzy o-ring, cap and rotor
new O2 sensors
seafoam the vacuum lines
Advance the timing to 7-8
couple of cans of chevron injector cleaner, remember you have a 25 gallon tanks so you need 2 cans per tank of gas

Also since you got 36 inch tires do you know if your speedo is corrected? You might be going 13% faster than you think you are.

I second the 5.29's on my rig... The best way to put it is... its now faster than the 4.88's and still slow as s***! ;)

However it climbs like a champ fully loaded with bitches and beer on high mountain uphill straight aways. This would not happen with the 4.88's and bitches had to walk. This was the most appreciated aspect of going to the 5.29's.

Find someone who has this setup local and ask to go for a ride/drive before you pull the trigger on gears. See if its worth the coin.

;)However it climbs like a champ fully loaded with bitches and beer on high mountain uphill straight aways. This would not happen with the 4.88's and bitches had to walk. This was the most appreciated aspect of going to the 5.29's.

:clap::grinpimp:

My 1997 Cruiser is a slug.

OK, so they are just a slug. it seems to hold speed ok. just seems like you have to floor it to get it to go. YEAH, I wish that they had went with the 5.29 gears. I was just wondering if there was something wrong with it that I could fix. LOL.. looked for the obd port.... not there.

My grandma's hove-round smoked my 92 in the 8th mile. By 1/4 I was gaining on her.

Pretty sure I woulda beat her in the mile.

She also stopped quicker, but I think her battery died.

hey guys thank you for you input and advice? is there a way to wake these things up? chip or something?

Forced injection or a motor swap. Wouldn't waste much money on anything else. Its a 6k lb rig, your gonna need more than a chip or something to wake it up.

I saw a sigline on the site in the last couple days that has stuck with me every time I hit the gas in my 93/4.88's/35's. It was along the lines of "I'd say it gathers speed rather than accelerates." I laughed about it just this morning. That said, mine isn't quick, but I don't have to wrestle with it to keep it moving. Hills don't kill it or anything. It just doesn't leave the rest of traffic behind. I've adopted a different style of driving when I'm in it. A style akin to peddling a tricycle.

so being a mini truck guy I have some more questions.

will a 15 inch rim from a mini truck fit? I have a set of bead locked super swamper sx's 35x15.5x15 sitting in the yard. not sure of the back spacing.

would 5.29 or 5.71 gears help out? or would that be way to low?

OK, so they are just a slug. it seems to hold speed ok. just seems like you have to floor it to get it to go.

You've gotta think about this thoroughly before you make conclusions. The stock weight of an 80 is nearly 5000 lbs. Way heavier than the minitrucks you are used to.

looked for the obd port.... not there.

What OBD port? Unless you are referring to the Toyota-specific diagnostic-probe port under the hood, OBDII didn't come until 1995, and even then wasn't mandated until 1996.

will a 15 inch rim from a mini truck fit? I have a set of bead locked super swamper sx's 35x15.5x15 sitting in the yard. not sure of the back spacing.

Depends.

1. The rims used on the 91-92 are the same dimensions as the rims you have in mind, but the front brakes on 93-up are bigger and require 16's. You COULD grind the calipers down, but that would bring about a whole new set of problems.

2. If your 80 has drum brakes in the rear (unlikely but worth a look), then it came with the older, smaller brakes in the front and therefore would fit 15's. But, as I said, highly unlikely.

would 5.29 or 5.71 gears help out? or would that be way to low?

5.29's are the sweet spot for 35's and up.

hey guys thank you for you input and advice? is there a way to wake these things up? chip or something?

Don't. Just don't. You'll be more disappointed than anything.

Will the bore on the mini truck wheels be the same as a LC? I know I am one of the minority here but my 3fe moves my 80 good enough for me. I have 38s and 5.29s. My cruising speed is about 65. Anything over it does not like. If I could squeeze 20mpg ;) out of it i would never drive anything else

Will the bore on the mini truck wheels be the same as a LC?

No clue. I can't imagine they would be any different, but I really don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom