1993 3x Locked Budget Restoration - Ranch to Road Worthy - Advice Welcomed! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been running NTK/NGK 24044 oxygen sensors in my '94 since 2017 with no problems. Appears to be discontinued, and I guess the Toyota O2 sensors for '93 - '94 are also discontinued? Some Toyota parts sites list them as available...

hmm. I’d double check with the 80 series NLA list to be sure. I’d be surprised, but maybe people gobbled them up. Good data on the NTK version.

And it’s official the Toyota O2 sensors are discontinued (in the 80 series NLA thread 2019). They are probably all gone by now, but it’s about how hard you want to hunt.

I read the same threads and pulled the trigger on the Toyota ones. I just didn’t want to f*** around with parts that didn’t play well with the ECU. Nobody has time for that. That being said there are still lots of folks using other O2 sensors with success. IIRC Denso ones work ok, but I would encourage you to do your homework before you shell out the cash.

Everyone is quick to say “replace your O2 sensors” around here. It seems like many times it’s justified (codes etc.) However what’s hard to untangle is how often the old o2 sensors were of poor quality, or if the replacement was part of a “throw new parts at the rig” strategy of repair. While this can make sense for our rigs that have old parts, it can get expensive very fast and often not solve the original problem.

Don’t let me dissuade you from replacing the O2 sensors, but in my own personal LC baselining/ repairing journey I found that having a good plan, and good reasons for parts was also an important factor.

I had good success with the Irwin extractor bolts from the box home improvement store when in dismantled my exhaust system (except for the ones I count reach easily). I highly recommend using some on blaster or Kroil aero foam penetrating oil on those bolts for a few days. It might help a lot. I would also suggest buying a high quality wrench to break those bolts loose. I switched from some cheesy HF wrenches to thrift store craftsman, SK, Fuller (made in Japan) and wright tools wrenches. They made a huge difference. You probably are on top of this, so please excuse if you’re dialed in on tools. Not in anyway trying to be condescending!
This is great advice and I am thankful for your willingness to share your exp and provide feedback! I am far from "dialed in" on tools. I am pretty green mechanically so this project has been a great excuse to build out my tool collection. Currently just using wrenches and sockets from a 150 piece husky set from HD and a few hand-me-down craftsmen wrenches (USA)... So yeah, nothing said here has been received as condescending.

Also. I will get the senors out and test them before ordering new ones.

This is great advice and I am thankful for your willingness to share your exp and provide feedback! I am far from "dialed in" on tools. I am pretty green mechanically so this project has been a great excuse to build out my tool collection. Currently just using wrenches and sockets from a 150 piece husky set from HD and a few hand-me-down craftsmen wrenches (USA)... So yeah, nothing said here has been received as condescending.

Also. I will get the senors out and test them before ordering new ones.
So you’ve probably read it already around here, but purchase the key sockets you need in 6point. Thanks had been a help for me. My local hardware store sells Wright tools, and on my last round of fix up/ replace stuff I just bought new sockets one at a time plus a few new wrenches. 10,12, 14 are what I use the most. I purchase 6 point 3/8” standard and deep sockets in the same sizes. At ~$10 each it’s not cheap. But when bolts get rounded things get more expensive. So if you have any estate sales places it’s worth paying around for tools. Metric stuff is pretty hard to come by, but sometime you make a haul.

My local used building place had all this one day. I got lucky. I paid around $50 for all this. There’s a set of Toyota wrenches from a 40 series in that batch too. A whole set of USA craftsman metric wrenches too. But it takes time to search and my time is well spent scrounging up old s***. YMMV.
EBA81B39-69D4-4941-B52E-F515BD239816.jpeg

I rounded off the most accessible nut. I am going to pick up an extractor set and a cheap multimeter from lowes after work to remove and test the sensors. Either way, I am leaning towards replacing them with new ones. From reading a few threads I have seen some say with a 93-94 I need to OEM to avoid doing replacing again in a year. I noticed you have 93 and @OffRoadScott you have a 94... do yall have any recommendations on brand from your personal exp?

I've been running NTK/NGK 24044 oxygen sensors in my '94 since 2017 with no problems. Appears to be discontinued, and I guess the Toyota O2 sensors for '93 - '94 are also discontinued? Some Toyota parts sites list them as available...

I think the OEM Toyota O2 sensors are no longer available or very hard to come by. I bought some O2 sensors from @NLXTACY at Wits End and used the link that @gummycarbs is talking about and re-pinned the O2 sensors and haven't had any issues.

As far as testing you will want to use the plug that is mounted on the firewall to check voltages while the O2 sensors are in the car and it is running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom