1992 Toyota pickup 3vze ignition kit upgrades. Yay or nay? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Calling all the 3.0 people. I have been thinking about upgrading my ignition system. The link is what I am debating over.
FAST Street Ignition Kit For EFI 22RE/RET/3VZ

My truck is running just fine. I just have a couple of bucks to burn. First off would this be a worth while project? Secondly, if any one has done this, what (if any) improvements did you see out of it. Thank everybody!

My experience with aftermarket ignition boxes has been that OEM is usually superior with regard to stock or nearly stock engines. I have discovered that there are different grades within OEM ignition modules. I replaced an OEM Mopar module with an OEM GM module and it made a pretty good difference to cold start idle. I've also replaced a Ford D-S II module with an MSD 6 and it didn't make much difference at all. Overall I think aftermarket "race" ignitions primary purpose is to separate the buyer's cash from their wallets.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I used Toyota ignition systems when I was converting Air Cooled VW engines to electronic. They worked very well for that.

Last edited:
Too bad this requires the existing coil/ignitor. Otherwise it would make a viable option for folks who have lost their, now unobtanium, ignitor.

Save the money for something else. Toyota made a pretty nice ignition system that is high quality and is fantastic for stock or near stock applications. I wouldn't even think about going away from the stock ignition system unless you are doing some pretty significant modifications that require an ignition system that goes beyond the stock system's capability.

Thanks for everyone input. I will save the money and focus on other things. I was also looking into exhaust. Nothing to loud. Just something that preforms will and has a good note. My current setup is bone stock so I am glad I didn’t but the ignition system!

My experience with aftermarket ignition boxes has been that OEM is usually superior with regard to stock or nearly stock engines. I have discovered that there are different grades within OEM ignition modules. I replaced an OEM Mopar module with an OEM GM module and it made a pretty good difference to cold start idle. I've also replaced a Ford D-S II module with an MSD 6 and it didn't make much difference at all. Overall I think aftermarket "race" ignitions primary purpose is to separate the buyer's cash from their wallets.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I used Toyota ignition systems when I was converting Air Cooled VW engines to electronic. They worked very well for that.
Just so you know MSD pick up cold is Ford stock part look at the part number

Just so you know MSD used a stock Ford pickup coil part numbers are the same

Just so you know MSD pick up cold is Ford stock part look at the part number

Just so you know MSD used a stock Ford pickup coil part numbers are the same
Yep, I've converted 6 or 7 IH dist's to the whole Dura-Spark II pick-up assembly - the article that used to be on Off-Road.com on how to do this conversion was mine. I put another such pick-up assembly in a iron bodied, tach drive SBC/BBC distributor for use on the engine dyno at a former employer because we needed one that we knew was good and would work.
MSD started out using the Ford reluctors too, but when the Cup Car teams developed a tool that would allow them to bend the lobes so that they could set individual cylinder timing they started breaking them & MSD went to making their own from bar stock. The Ford reluctors are sintered and a little brittle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom