1992- no click, no start + found a broken belt in the engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought this car yesterday. When we were buying it, it was clicking but not cranking, so the seller tried jumping it, but it it still didn't do anything. After almost 5-10 minutes to messing with the starter, he was able to get it started. I bought the car, and drove it about 40 miles home with no issue.

Today, I went to see if it would start, and it is now not clicking or cranking. Additionally, I found a broken belt hanging off the bottom of the engine (picture attached). I think it might be the fan belt, would like confirmation. I am not sure where I should begin, as the threads I've read all recommend different things. I am a complete noob when it comes to mechanical repair but I am willing to work on it myself.

Thank you guys in advance, I am sorry in advance if this is a simple question.

IMG_20200902_123312 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like it's an alternator belt which could explain the dead battery.
Replace all the belts and a new battery. Then confirm the alternator is charging by measuring the voltage at the battery when the engine is running. This ought to get you in generally the right direction.

Also find yourself a copy of the field service manual. If you are working on this thing, you're going to need it.

Sounds like it's an alternator belt which could explain the dead battery.
Replace all the belts and a new battery. Then confirm the alternator is charging by measuring the voltage at the battery when the engine is running. This ought to get you in generally the right direction.

Also find yourself a copy of the field service manual. If you are working on this thing, you're going to need it.

Hi! Thank you for the reply. The battery is actually not dead; all the lights work, A/C heat works. The battery voltage indicator is a bit over half in my cluster. I will get the belts changed regardless, but do you think it could be something else?

First thing to check is that the battery terminals are clean, no corrosion and are properly secured. With battery terminals that are corroded they can pass smaller load but can't pass the high current required by the starter.

While checking cables, look closely at the fusible link wires just the other side of the battery box on the + side of the battery. $14 gets you a new set.
** Get a Factory Service Manual ** It will become your new best friend and help you through a lot of wrenching, testing, and diagnosis. The FSM opened up a lot of knowledge for me, as well as the many experts on this site willing to help. (I'm no expert, but willing to try and help.)
Cheers!

1599100839867.png

Hi, If replacing the belts go with the shorter Napa belt and don’t hook up the smog pump. Mike

Pretty sure I stole it from Specter Off Road

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom