1992 Landcruiser, (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, gals? new here to the site. ,I recently purchased a 1992 Landcruiser with 215k. Love it truly and have spent a lot of time cleaning and very little driving. After pressure washing I discovered both brake lines to calipers were leaking. so after several quotes I decided I spring for the parts to do a complete brake job and do the work myself. New lines, calipers, cylinders, pads, rotors, drums..you get it. Oh bearings too. Mind you I'm not a mechanic but am armed with 92 service manual Toyota graciously had printed for me and have also watched so many videos, read I feel like I could do the job in my sleep. UNTIL!! #1. I noticed irregular wear drivers side spindle. Fine called Fj Parts and he says their are two types of spindle s and I would have to remove mine to know which I had. No problem except! #2. I remove the first bolt and what looks like tan kind of foamy oil starts pouring out. Dif fluid I assume but this is were I come up short in the knowledge department and am not really sure how to approach it. Is there a bigger problem? Any help would surly be appreciated and thanks for all you have already done for me.

lol. inner axle seal shot and water in the diff most likely. watery diff oil mixed up by the birfield into a soupy foamy gloop. The spindle bolts go straiught throught into the ball knockle containing the birfield. Sorta like a beefy CV joint actually.

Drain Diff. Remove spindle, birf & axle, clean out ball knuckle then inspect inner seal. Also check for worn birfield (more than about 1degree of play). Then consult the FSM (the Bible) on how to replace seal and/or birfield.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom