1992 LANDCRUISER HZJ77, ZX, 1HZ feedback (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

First time I'm writing on this forum but have been reading on for a while and love what I see. You guys are great...

I need your help with a possible purchase of a RHD 1992 CRUISER HZJ77, ZX, 4.2L 6cyl Diesel 1HZ engine front/rear Locker & powered Hub lock & 4x4... 5 speed tranny.

I wonder if I can and/or should think of adding a Turbo to this (I think this is not already equipped with one). Is this a reliable engine? is this 1992 HZJ77 with a 5 speed tranny, much slower than 1989 HDJ61 with 5 speed tranny that I used to own? I think the HDJ61 was turbo charged (The HDJ61 was one fast machine).
Will I have much smoke behind me driving around along with other drivers middle fingers out their windows? I've had that with my HDJ81 and had to get read of it...

There's about 80K Miles on the truck and apparently in excellent condition and I'm quite interested in buying it.
This is a much lighter truck compare to HDJ81, or HDJ61... So I think it'll be much better in fuel consumption.
I used to get about 10 Liter per 100 KM in city on my HDJ61 (loved it) and over 15 liter on the HDJ81...

Overall, I like to know if this HJZ77 is a desirable and a reliable truck especially when talking powertrain or actually Engine performance, fuel consumption, speed and most important of all reliability? I'll be using this cruiser as my daily driver and perhaps this coming summer driving it down to South America from west coast and truck'll be packed to the roof...!

Appreciate any feedback,
Benoit :confused:

Last edited:
Benoit:

"Search" is your friend - and your inquiry is very "trollish". Likely the reason you've not received any responses.

HDJ61 is not a "stock" LC model number - most likely you had a HJ61? If so, it had a 12HT engine, rated at something like 130 HP.. Your HDJ80 would have a 1HD-T engine, rated at something like 165Hp.. The 1HZ is the non-turbo version of the 1HD, and is rated at 135 hp... But you need to look at the torque values of the engines, to compare their real world performance, but I don't remember those numbers off the top of my head. The 1HZ has the lowest peak torque of these three engines, IIRC.

The HZJ77 is not significantly lighter than either the HJ61 or HDJ80, and 10 l/100k in the city is phenomenal economy in any 'Cruiser - I wish I could achieve that on the highway! My HZJ73 burns about 13 l/100k on the highway, and about 15 l/100k around town.. A 5 speed should do better.

If you thought your HDJ80 was slow, wait till you try the HZJ77 on a hill!

I'd recommend that you search around this site a bit - you will find the information you are looking for either here, or links to other sites.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Hey Jim,

You're right, I should search more... So far though I didn't find much on the HZJ77 on this site... I guess there aren't much of these rigs around anyway.

I guess on this one I should count on my own instinct more.... As for speed and fuel consumption I think this HZJ77 will never be as good as the HDJ61 since it doesn't have the turbo...

BTW, My 61 actually did get less than 10 L/100K in the city...! Don't forget, the manual tranny and free hubs make a big difference in fuel consumption, Gas or diesel...

Thanks anyway & Happy holidays

Last edited:
Hey Jim,

You're right, I should search more... So far though I didn't find much on the HZJ77 on this site... I guess there aren't much of these rigs around anyway.

I guess on this one I should count on my own instinct more.... As for speed and fuel consumption I think this HZA77 will never be as good as the HDJ61 since it doesn't have the turbo...

BTW, My 61 actually did get less than 10 L/100K in the city...! Don't forget, the manual tranny and free hubs make a big difference in fuel consumption, Gas or diesel...

Thanks anyway & Happy holidays

I never got better than 12/100 in my HJ61 and it was running perfectly. The HZJ77 is mechanically the same as any other landcruiser with the same HZJ prefix. So you dont necessarily have to search for a HZJ77 for turbo upgrades etc.
If you have black smoke pouring out of any diesel,it is because of lack of maintenance or the fuel is turned up too much.

Hey Benoit,

HZJ77 is a good truck . . .

-no turbo but much better than my old BJ60
-1HZ is a good engine, they're still making them which should mean something (for reliability and parts)
-1HZ is a smoooooth diesel engine and doesn't smoke much if setup properly
-NOT much lighter than the HDJ81 . . . gas mileage will vary depending on city / highway, flat / hilly, etc. I get about 13-14 L/100km average.
-As per a lot of threads on mud say: 1HZ is a commonly turboed engine.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the feedbacks.

I actually had more smoke (black) out of my 81 than from the 61. The 61 was at about 150K KM and the 81 about 170K KM.

I did no major maintenance on the 61 and the thing worked like a charm (regret letting it go now) and it didn't smoke too bad either but on the 81 I had the big bearing replaced, installed genuine brand new Injectors, rebuild the turbo and some other major stuff done to it but still not good enough, over all I spend about $6000.

It ran with lots of power though, a lot of torque and good speed too but smoke and poor fuel consumption was there before all the major maintenance and after.

I'll never buy another HDJ81, not only for experience I had with mine but also because I'm not used to Automatic and don't enjoy driving any car/truck with auto tranny anyway.

Thanks again.

One thing I still wonder is the turbo, can I/should I install one? How hard will that be and what kind of cost am I looking at and will it worth the effort?
From what I understand, turbo will give me more torque, speed, better fuel millage, less smoke...! right or wrong?

Cheers

One thing I still wonder is the turbo, can I/should I install one? How hard will that be and what kind of cost am I looking at and will it worth the effort?
From what I understand, turbo will give me more torque, speed, better fuel millage, less smoke...! right or wrong?
Cheers

Check out:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tec...863-1hz-turbo-thread.html?highlight=1hz+turbo

Lot's of good info there and it sounds like Louis is putting together a nice turbo kit for sale here in Canada.

Benoit:

First thing to do with any 1HZ powered cruiser is to check the exhaust system, and make sure your resonator is not the limiting factor. My HZJ73 was built in the first month of production, and removing the resonator improved my 0-100 km time by about 3 seconds.. With the stock exhaust system, the engine would not pull above 3000 rpm..

This shows the stock resonator, and the restriction on the inlet.
resonator.jpg

IIRC, the stock exhaust is about 2 1/4" id, and the resonator was something like 1 5/8" id. - approx. a 50% reduction in area..

Jim

turbo is good but not necessarily needed. Thread reference is a good start point. HZ77 is all around good off roader with long life longevity;

Seeing that this thread is from 2007 I wonder if he ever jumped on the HZJ77 or not and if so if he turbocharged it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom