1992 Land Cruiser HDJ81 trailer wiring Help Needed!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently imported and jumped through the hoops to get this land tank registered. I'm quickly finding out that a lot of parts are different for this 80 series. Also wanted to do a road trip to Oregon and Victoria Canada with it, but the misses wants to take a travel trailer with us, which leads me to my problem.

I recently purchased the Hopkins trailer wire connector wiring kit. Quickly realized that it had the wrong connectors for the factory wiring harness. so I hopped online to find the correct harness that would work with my cruiser. I came to a company in Australia, but they no longer exist and I can't find anything that would work.

I'm new to the whole jdm cruiser life, so please let me know if you have any info on this issue I'm having

If memory serves the Hoppy kit only works on 93 and newer. You will most likely need a splice-type universal kit.

Hey @CruiserDog , I have a 1991 HDJ81 and I had the exact same problem...I decided to return the Hopkins kit because I just could not get it to work and not cause issues with the blinker relay. Even though that Hopkins kit is supposedly 'plug and play', it is not, at least for our HDJ81s (until 1993+, like what @cruiserdan said). Instead, I went and bought a Tekonsha ZCI (Zero Contact Interface) Universal Modulite (see here: Tekonsha). I have had it in for almost two years and it has been very reliable. The installation was very simple, plus it runs direct off of the battery instead of using the blinker signal, so you don't have the issue with overloaded relays and funky blinker behavior. There is no splicing either...it uses a wrap-around magnet that detects an electrical signal. Granted, it was twice as much as the Hopkins, but the Hopkins didn't work, so the Tekonsha was worth every penny :)

Hope this helps!!

Hey @CruiserDog , I have a 1991 HDJ81 and I had the exact same problem...I decided to return the Hopkins kit because I just could not get it to work and not cause issues with the blinker relay. Even though that Hopkins kit is supposedly 'plug and play', it is not, at least for our HDJ81s (until 1993+, like what @cruiserdan said). Instead, I went and bought a Tekonsha ZCI (Zero Contact Interface) Universal Modulite (see here: Tekonsha). I have had it in for almost two years and it has been very reliable. The installation was very simple, plus it runs direct off of the battery instead of using the blinker signal, so you don't have the issue with overloaded relays and funky blinker behavior. There is no splicing either...it uses a wrap-around magnet that detects an electrical signal. Granted, it was twice as much as the Hopkins, but the Hopkins didn't work, so the Tekonsha was worth every penny :)

Hope this helps!!

Awesome!!! super helpful I will give this part a try

For what it's worth, I ran the positive lead of the Tekonsha ZCI kit to the positive terminal of the battery beneath various plastic trim pieces. Pretty much, if you start at the ZCI module (black box) and run the positive wire inside the rear cargo trim piece, then down below the rear seat's floor scuff plate (thin plastic piece), then within the driver's seat belt vertical trim piece (bottom half at least), then down below the driver's seat floor scuff plate (thin plastic piece), then up through a hole in the firewall right behind where the accelerator pedal is, then on to the battery. For the portion of the wire in the engine bay I put the wire in round plastic flexible conduit to protect it. Did all this just to make it a neat install so you don't see the exposed wire anywhere. Let me know if you have any questions...I'm happy to help!

Last edited:
Not related to your trailer wiring, but make sure to add an external trans cooler before pulling a trailer through the mountains in the summer with your HDJ81, for some reason the HDJ81's didn't come with a trans cooler but they should have one, makes a big difference.

I have a Hopkins on my cruiser that came from my Dad who also has a 81, I believe he either asked hopkins for the correct plugs or he went to a junkyard and got some more plugs, we simply repined the hopkins kit and works like a charm.

I remember using a harness for my 1987 FJ60 where I had to swap pins on two of the connectors to make it plug and play. I'm wondering if it's the same case with the early 80's? Here's the thread that outlines what to do.

Just happened to be looking on Mud since I am infuriated over the same issue. I have isolated blinkers, lights and brake but the ground is my problem. I can get all, or some of my lights in combination to work, but not all of them. If anyone has a wiring schematic I would greatly appreciate it. I cannot find one on the web anywhere. A photo of someones wires connected correctly would be worth a thousand words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom