Sark's HZJ73 Adventures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So to be clear, the spindle and bearing would be inside/behind the hub, correct? Before I go dismantling the whole thing…

Correct. I doubt anything happened to the spindle and the bearing. You'll have a great opportunity to inspect when you replace the rotor as it has to come off.

Rotor is common, our part# BRR60100
Unfortunately the LH backing plate (47704-60070) is NLA though just recently so you may have some luck there.

Fwiw, I've seen Cruisers drive for months/years with damaged rotors like that. Pads wear funky (chews them up) but it's workable :D

Yikes! that sucks. I saw this update and thought oh great here goes the spacers!!!

I just tightened everything and torqued so I'll check again tonight. Glad nothing bad happened.

It was my first thought...spacers/adapters being the culprit but usually the studs will get sheared too. Seen it so many times from my days in the retail tire replacement market. (Why I don't run spacers or adapters .....ever).

It was my first thought...spacers/adapters being the culprit but usually the studs will get sheared too. Seen it so many times from my days in the retail tire replacement market. (Why I don't run spacers or adapters .....ever).

Is that mainly the crappy spacers or badly installed ones?

Is that mainly the crappy spacers or badly installed ones?

I think the root cause is neglect. Not checking torque every so often but I just don't want to take chances.

Correct. I doubt anything happened to the spindle and the bearing. You'll have a great opportunity to inspect when you replace the rotor as it has to come off.

Rotor is common, our part# BRR60100
Unfortunately the LH backing plate (47704-60070) is NLA though just recently so you may have some luck there.
Awesome - rotor ordered via cruiserteq. Looks like the LH dust cover isn't available for anything reasonable, so I'll just modify the one I have and call it a day.

Something-something, "'tis but a scratch" :)

Hello,

I am glad to know you were able to make it back home.

I think your front axle bearings and seals gave up the ghost and need replacement.

70 Series backing plates are either discontinued or very hard to find. Maybe an Australian wrecker. I hope you get one.

I would take the chance to replace both rotors. Chances are the other one is on its way out as well. I would also replace the bearings and seals.

Drop in new studs when you replace the rotors.

Juan

While I get the wiper situation figured out...

I stripped the interior down and did some spring-cleaning. Removed back row bench seat, front seats, and trims to get access to the carpet. Pulled the carpet up and shop-vac'd everything. It was good to get under there and check everything out. Happy to say that the guts underneath are really clean and healthy, short of one or two very small corrosion areas that don't seem to be an immediate concern. Removed heaps of dog hair from the upholstery as well. :)

I captured most of this on my IG story, since it's a little easier to update on with my phone...

Found some coins underneath the carpet on the driver's side:

View attachment 2977769
wow! 14 yen. could but one felix gum. 😉

Rotor arrived… taking the assembly apart, going in blind. What do we think of the hub?

image.jpg

image.jpg

So apparently there’s supposed to be a space in this ring that goes around the center on the inside of the hub, but i’ve been staring at it for too long, and unless i’m literally blind, it’s solid all around. Anyone know what the next step is here? How do I get this ring out?

image.jpg

Do you have the factory service manual for your truck?

The procedure for disassembling, inspecting, cleaning and reassembling your front axle assembly is clearly delineated in the technical documentation.

The space for the snap ring is at the 5pm position (lower right) for the snap ring plier to be inserted and then the ring expanded for removal.

Do you have the factory service manual for your truck?

The procedure for disassembling, inspecting, cleaning and reassembling your front axle assembly is clearly delineated in the technical documentation.

The space for the snap ring is at the 5pm position (lower right) for the snap ring plier to be inserted and then the ring expanded for removal.
I do, but it’s in Japanese… and yes, I just found it. I was playing around with the ring all the way in the back, not realizing the very front is the clip i’m looking for.

Thanks!

So apparently there’s supposed to be a space in this ring that goes around the center on the inside of the hub, but i’ve been staring at it for too long, and unless i’m literally blind, it’s solid all around. Anyone know what the next step is here? How do I get this ring out?

View attachment 3046712

Looks to be a snap ring here:

1656620606971.png

Ring looks like this:

1656620633678.png

For posterity

1656624053206.png

I can snag a much higher resolution and with the e-hub stuff when I'm back in the office.

For posterity

View attachment 3046778

I can snag a much higher resolution and with the e-hub stuff when I'm back in the office.

Or the best thing you can do is convert to manual hubs....got all of the parts from @cruiseroutfit to get this done but don't forget the knuckles too. The e-hub uses a different knuckle for the wire path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom