Sark's HZJ73 Adventures (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

430mm - Right side front wiper
400mm - Left side front wiper
350mm - rear wiper

Those are from what I had written down when I had the FJ73. The fold down windshield has different lengths than the fixed roof windshield.

For the fixed roof, I just use a pair of 400mm. Made in Japan p/n 85291-44080

If you have u-hook type wiper blade assy...you can probably get the following at any local Toyota dealer but they are not Japanese made parts I don't think. Much easier than trying to replace the blades.

430mm - 85212-YZZ05-TM
400mm - 85212-YZZ15-TM
350mm - 85212-YZZ14-TM

Please correct me if I am wrong since I haven't replaced wipers on a 73/74 in some time now.

430mm - Right side front wiper
400mm - Left side front wiper
350mm - rear wiper

Those are from what I had written down when I had the FJ73. The fold down windshield has different lengths than the fixed roof windshield.

For the fixed roof, I just use a pair of 400mm. Made in Japan p/n 85291-44080

If you have u-hook type wiper blade assy...you can probably get the following at any local Toyota dealer but they are not Japanese made parts I don't think. Much easier than trying to replace the blades.

430mm - 85212-YZZ05-TM
400mm - 85212-YZZ15-TM
350mm - 85212-YZZ14-TM

Please correct me if I am wrong since I haven't replaced wipers on a 73/74 in some time now.
I believe my driver's side wiper is 425mm, as stamped. We mention aftermarket wipers... anything more specific on that? I ordered this first round from Amayama, and they provided the "replacement" product. Not sure how else to verify the rubber will line up with the metal inserts and have all the correct spacing as seen in the pictures.

Wiper blades are a frequently replaced item - what is everyone doing?

While I get the wiper situation figured out...

I stripped the interior down and did some spring-cleaning. Removed back row bench seat, front seats, and trims to get access to the carpet. Pulled the carpet up and shop-vac'd everything. It was good to get under there and check everything out. Happy to say that the guts underneath are really clean and healthy, short of one or two very small corrosion areas that don't seem to be an immediate concern. Removed heaps of dog hair from the upholstery as well. :)

I captured most of this on my IG story, since it's a little easier to update on with my phone...

Found some coins underneath the carpet on the driver's side:

IMG_8496.JPG

Updates:

The wiper arms gave some insight on my cruiser's wiper setup. "5103 NWB Toyota 9r" is inscribed on the underside of the arm. NWB is a Japanese wiper manufacturer (Nippon Wiper Blade, according to this post: OEM wiper blade is NWB - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/oem-wiper-blade-is-nwb.988484/) I will have to measure the blade length and see about ordering some if available.

Other exciting news: I installed a spare fuel carrier, thanks to a mount from "Compass Auto Japan" and RotoPax.

Mount: PLOT Rotopax Spare Tire Adjustable Mount Bracket for Land Cruiser - https://compassauto.jp/collections/other-vehicles/products/plot-rotopax-spare-tire-adjustable-mount-bracket

44F64D22-0759-49A0-816E-00B99AAE0706.jpg

91FD4C1A-0AB4-4C7E-8926-3DCAB054AA15.jpg

DD228D0A-4488-4B82-9F59-0A88BF716F36.jpg

B2D9A012-FFD0-459D-9906-9FEE798D153D.jpg

15AAAAB0-D5E2-45D5-B3E2-749EAC0D10AF.jpg

Hello,

Are those RotoPax stackable?

Just curious.

Juan

Hi Juan,

Yes, they offer extension mounts for stacking. I think you can stack top to bottom as well as front to back.
Hello,

Thank you for the explanation.

Juan

Update on the wiper situation:

Advance Auto Parts sells replacement blades for the ones on my 73.

NWB 27-017 (Hook type) = Both front wipers
NWB 27-013 (Hook type) = Rear wiper

Difference between the two part numbers is just the length of the blades, from what I can tell.

In other news... Went in on an HDJ81 via auction in Japan. Same deal with my 73 - will be imported probably in late August, if I had to guess.

Pretty excited about this one:
- 1 owner
- 1HD-FT engine
- Lockers
- ~112,000 miles

Sneak peek:
81_front.png
81_rear.png

That 80 looks sweet!!!

Well, today's been a bitch of a Friday, hasn't it?

To add to the political excitement, I had a wheel fly off on my way home from an errand this afternoon! Nice!

My front left wheel and tire combo decided to part ways, rolling into an intersection. Luckily no one was hurt, and I got my wheel back. Luckily, the bolts weren't sheared off, so I was able to get the wheel back on and limp the last <1 mile home.

In my adrenaline rush of that happening, I forgot to take a picture, but if you can imagine my brake rotor grinding into asphalt, that's pretty much how it went.

70-series family:

Any ideas for things that aren't completely obvious, but would be good to investigate? I'm a beginner when it comes to auto-mechanics...

I will add more pics later tonight of the damage.

Good news:

I got a 54mm hub socket from @cruiseroutfit 'ers literally this morning, so thanks for the prophecy! :)

If the studs didn’t sheer off and the hub was still there then the only thing it could be is the lug’s came loose.
I would check the other tires to make sure there all tight.
Still your having a better day then me, having had some of my man hood removed VIA a biopsy, not fun!!!

Well, today's been a bitch of a Friday, hasn't it?

To add to the political excitement, I had a wheel fly off on my way home from an errand this afternoon! Nice!

My front left wheel and tire combo decided to part ways, rolling into an intersection. Luckily no one was hurt, and I got my wheel back. Luckily, the bolts weren't sheared off, so I was able to get the wheel back on and limp the last <1 mile home.

In my adrenaline rush of that happening, I forgot to take a picture, but if you can imagine my brake rotor grinding into asphalt, that's pretty much how it went.

70-series family:

Any ideas for things that aren't completely obvious, but would be good to investigate? I'm a beginner when it comes to auto-mechanics...

I will add more pics later tonight of the damage.

Good news:

I got a 54mm hub socket from @cruiseroutfit 'ers literally this morning, so thanks for the prophecy! :)

Inspect the rotor and backing plate. If the rotor made contact, the backing plate is certainly hammered. You can likely trim it and/or bend it out of the way and carry on. Replace the rotor and inspect the spindle and wheel bearings.

If the studs didn’t sheer off and the hub was still there then the only thing it could be is the lug’s came loose.
I would check the other tires to make sure there all tight.
Still your having a better day then me, having had some of my man hood removed VIA a biopsy, not fun!!!
Yikes! Thanks for the info. I re-tightened all the nuts on all wheels before I limped home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom