Sark's HZJ73 Adventures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Day 5, part 3:

One of my favorite locations of the whole trip, Goosenecks State Park.
goosenecks-2.jpg

goosenecks-3.jpg

This one might look familiar

goosenecks.jpg

goosenecks-5.jpg

goosenecks-4.jpg

Day 5, part 6:

Drove the rest of the way without stops to SLC. Enjoyed a nice meal with plenty of beer at a local brewery to end this amazing day.

Day 6:

Woke up in SLC, and our first stop was a little place called the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum.
SLC-3.jpg

SLC.jpg

SLC-2.jpg

SLC-4.jpg

Even found a hilux!

SLC-5.jpg

This place is worth the stop. We went before they moved to their new location in SLC. I think the PX10 was my favorite...

I forget her name, but the receptionist was amazing. She even let me get on the phone with @cruiserdan and open up a couple hoods to verify my HZJ73's original paint color, 183. Seeing an example of this color in person was a real treat. Thanks for the help Dan!

Day 6, part 2:

Next stop, Cruiser Outfitters! I regret not getting a picture with @cruiseroutfit, but we did acquire a few items:

- FRP window weatherstripping
- Center console lid
- New Grille

Also, we conveniently found a friend. Only 70-series I've come across so far in person. This one looks like a South American import, given that it is an FZJ73 by the look of it.
SLC-6.jpg

Between you, @FJBen and @theglobb I am now embarrassed to even post photographs. 😊

You have something very special there, cherish it. Dont modify it any further than it can be easily reverted back to. I have always believed these will be the most sought after 7* series, maybe the most sought after landcruiser of all time. Ive always regretted selling mine.

Day 7:

Next up was Moab, UT. We needed to grab some sun screen for our pasty-white selves, so we headed over to the local drug store. Seems like the locals had already accepted us by the time we came back to the cruiser :)

walker.jpg

First trail we hit was next to "Jug Handle Arch", called "Long Canyon Road", which leads up to a spot called "Pucker Pass". Editing these photos, it looks like the saturation is jacked up to the max, but in reality, it's untouched and "as shot". It was very orange here :grinpimp:
moab-9.jpg

moab.jpg

Coming up to Pucker Pass
moab-2.jpg

Let's just say it lived up to it's name in my opinion :hillbilly:
moab-12.jpg

Last edited:
Day 7, part 3:

You end the trail at the top of the canyon if you go through it West like we did, and at the top we were passed by an 80-series which looked like it was a tour vehicle. We ended up at the top of Shafer trail near Dead Horse State Park. Another switchback-style trail that took us down into the canyon.
moab-6.jpg

Found an opportunity to go fast through mud, so I took it :flipoff2:
moab-7.jpg

We passed a section of unbelievably blue water, which was fenced off. Eventually we figured out it was some sort of salt farm. Our next spot was a place called "Top of the World". We did probably 2/3 to 3/4 of the trail before it got to the point where we were uncomfortable continuing. This cruiser was being pushed to its limits, and is clearly not a crawler rig. We got out on foot and continued the rest of the way. We were the only ones on the trail, and the sun was looking like it would set in the next two hours, so we left the cruiser and hiked the last section. Disappointing to not make it to the top with the cruiser, but sometimes you have to know your limits. Last thing we wanted to do was damage the cruiser, since we needed it to get us home still!
moab-8.jpg

We got some pictures at the top and headed back down. It was time to check out the Moab Brewery :cheers:

Day 9:

Today we woke up at our first destination in Colorado: Telluride.

telluride-2.jpg
telluride-3.jpg

Yes it was touristy, but the views here are spectacular. They have a softball field, and I was imagining myself playing outfield with this scenery in the background... Not sure I would be able to focus on the game :)

We spent a day in Telluride relaxing and going over the plan for the Colorado portion of the trip.

We found a local cruiser.
colorado.jpg

And we also saw a double rainbow...
colorado-2.jpg

Day 10, part 4:

Ouray was a fun little town. Packed with 4x4 vehicles and other "overland" looking rides. If I had more time, I would have stopped here for a while longer.

We ate lunch in Ouray, but we had a long day ahead of us still. We made our way south towards Silverton, where we stopped for a few minutes before continuing through the valley East/North all the way up to Engineer pass. Engineer Pass was super sketchy because it had just rained, which made the otherwise dirt trail into a muddy mess. Still made it up no problem of course, given what we were driving...
colorado-4.jpg

The funny part was, we passed a sedan on the way up. Think like a VW Passat. Nobody inside, and no f---ing clue how it got up there. The trail was muddy, very narrow, and 100% a 4x4 only trail. Weirdest part of the trip.

We continued down Engineer Pass East, until we finally made it out at Lake City. It was torrential downpouring the entire time on the way down, so that was nice. No time for taking any pictures :p

Finally, we ended the day all the way over in Gunnison, CO, where we quite literally found the last hotel/motel room in the whole town...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom