1992 Hiace: replacement for damaged 3L engine? Swap options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, :cheers: (If this post belongs elsewhere, mods please move or delete)
I have a '92 Hiace Super GL that I purchased damaged. 3L diesel with under 150,000 km threw a rod out the side of the block. The crank will rotate about 120 degrees. I'd hoped for a direct swap, but have yet to find a 3L anywhere for sale, but might be looking in the wrong places. I am near Seattle (Northern West coast US) but this vehicle is JDM by way of Canada. As the 3L never came here, sourcing an old motor is almost impossible thus far. I have yet to find a JDM/AUS seller with a 3L. I was hoping to maintain the mechanical/NA simplicity, but this looks unlikely.
Does anyone have familiarity with this situation, or experience sourcing/swapping a 3L diesel? If anyone knows of a better, active Hiace specific resource, please redirect me.

I greatly appreciate any input on best choices to swap a 1992 Hiace, *or* how to source an engine. I would say (in descending order of importance) I want to: maintain reliability, ease of future parts, ease of swap, fuel econ, price, and simplicity of maintenance.

The only option I have found thus far would be towing the vehicle to Canada and having the original importer install a rebuilt 3L, which I assume would have highly suspect, low-quality parts of Chinese origin. I also assume a 22RE conversion would be a poor idea. Current config is automatic, but I would not mind a manual solution either.

I really, really appreciate any input, and I hope someone takes a second to set me straight. If anyone can recommend any parts/engine importers as well. Ali/Ebay any good??
What is the best possible motor choice for a '92 Hiace 4WD intended for camper configuration? ~Thank you!~

Full vehicle details below.
Thanks for your time,
Regards!

------------
Model: HIACE (1992)
Model Code: LH119V-RRPES
Frame: LH119
DX: DX TYPE (05/1992+ GRAND CABIN D TYPE)
GL: GL TYPE
SGL: SUPER GL TYPE
GEAR SHIFT TYPE
4FC: ATM, 4-SPEED FLOOR SHIFT (automatic)
NO.OF DOORS
4D: 4-DOOR
Additional codes
DESTINATION: JPN: JAPAN
ENGINE: 3L: 2800CC DIESEL
FUEL SYSTEM: DSL: DIESEL
DRIVE TRAIN: 4WD: 4-WHEEL DRIVE
FLOOR: V1: STANDARD VAN
----------

1KZT. Your mechanical pump would work with some tweaking on this engine. You're more likely to find the electronic version.

Why not find a good 3L block from overseas though? Probably the cheapest option and also easiest because it would not require any further modifcation? The 3L engine's are pretty good too. Don't they run a Iron head?

This isn’t far from you, though I’m not sure it’s worth what he’s asking. There are also 1kzte half cuts out there:

Gotta ask- did you get a chance to drive the van with the original engine before it blew up? I don’t think a lot of people in the states realize these non-turbo L engines are absolute turds. A fully loaded hiace with a slush box is going to have a hard time going 65 on flat ground I would think. The answer to your last question is probably a 1kzte. Whether it’s worthwhile or even possible to swap one into your current vehicle is another question all together. Lots of the newer gen KZ equipped hiaces popping up over here recently you might be money ahead to just trade up.

1KZT. Your mechanical pump would work with some tweaking on this engine. You're more likely to find the electronic version.

Why not find a good 3L block from overseas though? Probably the cheapest option and also easiest because it would not require any further modifcation? The 3L engine's are pretty good too. Don't they run a Iron head?
Thanks Beau,
The 1KZ-T is a good idea; didn't know I could swap my pump. I can't seem to find much info, but not knowing about overhead exhaust clearance in there, or transmission fitment issues were my concerns. I love the idea of a block from overseas; I should try to get my engine out and verify the internal damage. Yes, they ruined a stout iron block, it seems. I will be the first to say I am slightly in over my head on this one, but it is what it is. =)

The KZ lump is quite similar to the 3L. It's slightly bigger and obviously houses a turbo, but overall it's quite a compact engine and came stock in many hiaces, maybe not your generation. I'd even think there's a possibility your trans may mount to the KZ bellhousing no problem. But if you're not looking to spend cash, and haven't got the fab experience or confidence, then just try and source a 3L block or complete lump.

Speak to some of the american JDM import companies and they'll probably be able to source one for you. In addition, I know there are some of those engines floating around in the UK, mexico and south america. But overall, the 3L was a rare engine compared to others.

This isn’t far from you, though I’m not sure it’s worth what he’s asking. There are also 1kzte half cuts out there:

Gotta ask- did you get a chance to drive the van with the original engine before it blew up? I don’t think a lot of people in the states realize these non-turbo L engines are absolute turds. A fully loaded hiace with a slush box is going to have a hard time going 65 on flat ground I would think. The answer to your last question is probably a 1kzte. Whether it’s worthwhile or even possible to swap one into your current vehicle is another question all together. Lots of the newer gen KZ equipped hiaces popping up over here recently you might be money ahead to just trade up.

John,
Thanks for the detailed, yet quick reply. Half-cut is a very good idea, it had crossed my mind. KZ half-cut was probably the tip I needed, I'd been searching 5L info.. Mostly ruled out 2L because of the chatter around head failure. I didn't get to see the van before it died. I assume 3L automatic will be painfully slow. My '89 22RE 4x4 manual trans pickup is pretty slow without powerband revving, this would be my closest personal reference. This is my first Diesel. Van has only front seats, side panels, and factory sub-floor for current interior. I am going to try to keep it "light", but I imagine the KZ would make this van more viable around mountains. That '93 is nice, but the interior height, 4x4, t-case, awning, and blank interior sold me on this homely van. Thank you for the info.

The KZ lump is quite similar to the 3L. It's slightly bigger and obviously houses a turbo, but overall it's quite a compact engine and came stock in many hiaces, maybe not your generation. I'd even think there's a possibility your trans may mount to the KZ bellhousing no problem. But if you're not looking to spend cash, and haven't got the fab experience or confidence, then just try and source a 3L block or complete lump.

Speak to some of the american JDM import companies and they'll probably be able to source one for you. In addition, I know there are some of those engines floating around in the UK, mexico and south america. But overall, the 3L was a rare engine compared to others.
I'll learn up on the later model hiace changes, and the KZ motors. I would rely on friends for necessary welding, or a machine shop as necessary. I'm not really too intimidated, I just have limits to my automotive tools, and I try to follow the hard lessons of wiser folks when leaving OEM. It also sucks that I can't get this fat guppy into my garage. Once I have a plan on the drive train, I can start to shop (or save up) accordingly. I would be curious if 1KZ-T would be most folks first choice, and if they would elect to go with electronic injection or not. Also wasn't sure if differences of voltage was going to further complicate that choice. I am great with directions, but a bespoke diesel electrical system sounded cautious. My fear isn't as much about the actual swap (I would enlist help), as much as making a very poorly informed swap choice. Maybe I was searching the wrong countries for forums. I'd searched mostly AUS, NZ, and poorly translated Japanese sites. I am also new to JDM vehicles. I hope you are right that I might get lucky on fitment between generations.

5L would be a bolt-in.

5L would be a bolt-in.
Dougal, if I can find one, this would be the way to go. reviewing the 3L vs 5L vs 1KZ thread again, this fits my capabilities best. My engine is _very_ likely a total loss; found the low-oil sender was brittle and broken off, and the owner ran it until it died on the road. He told me he assumed the previous owner had "handled the oil" at sale. Never checked it once, the animal.

Dougal, if I can find one, this would be the way to go.

Good used engines dont come along very often, and Hilux owners are constantly going through them. A good used one in Australia would be $3000 but there were none in the classifieds I use, except a dead rebuildable for 3L $250.
Reconditioned units with a core are $3000-5000.
Japan may have a few for sale

I concur. I have the non turbo 3L. Absolute turd would be an understatement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom