1992 HDJ81 what engine is in? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to import a HDJ81 diesel from Japan. I contacted http://www.japaneseusedcars.com and it look like I can get a low mileage (65 000 km) 1992 grade 4 for about 12000$ delivered to British Columbia. In Canada, we are allowed to import vehicles from Japan as long as they are at least 15 yers old. I am little confused about diesel engine on HDJ81. Toyota made a lot of engines for these trucks, the 1HZ (135 Hp 220 ft-lb @ 2000), 1HD-T (170 Hp 270 ft-lb @ 2500), 1HD-FTE (205 Hp 320 ft-lb @ 1800). I know the difference between the 1HZ and 1HD is 12 valves vs 24 valves, probably same block but different head. I am looking to use the truck to pull a 5000 lb trailer. My LX450 is not bad with the trailer but it could have a bit more torque at lower RPM like 1HD-FTE probably has.

I can’t find anywhere what engine is in what model year. Since the most recent version I can import is a 1992, I would like to know which engine is in this model year. If it is not at least the 1HD-T, I will wait for the model year that has this engine. Can a 1HD-T be converted to a 1HD-FTE?

1992 HDJ81 will have the 12 valve 1HD-T engine. The 1HZ will be in the HZJ81. The 1HZ is the same engine family but non-turbo. The 1HD-FT came out in 1995. The 1HD-FTE was 1998 or so.

F = 4 valves per cylinder. T = turbo. E = electronic control.

Yes you can change a 1HD-T into a 1HD-FT, just buy a 1HD-FT and presto!

The HZ isnt exactly the same family. Its got the same block, (as I understand it) with a different head. The HZ is INdirect injected, whereas the HD series is a DIRECT injected engine.

Japan 4x4, thank you for the clarification. Please confirm the HP and torque of 1992-1995 version. What about reliability of this diesel engine. I saw on a Canadian importer site that there might be problem with crankshaft. I don't think i will replace the engine of a 1992 i may purchase but i want to make sure it will be more capable than my stock FZJ80. Is there any other modification that will increase HP and torque like an intercooler without affecting durability? Since you are in Japan, do you have a list of trusted exporters in Japan i can deal with to import a truck in Canada.

I thought you can do plenty of thing to get more power .. starting with more boost, intercooler, propane, water etc ..

All of those afecting the life of the engine in mayor or less ..

Do a little search of BEB's and found info about ..

12k for a grade 4 HDJ81 in your driveway is pretty hard to believe. I have dealt with japaneseusedcars.com and you will find that the actual cost at auction (once they get your non-refundable deposit) is much higher than the examples shown on their website. However, with that said, they do find nice trucks. Send me a PM if you want some more info about my experience.

X2. I have followed this market very closely for more than a year, I know several people who have brought their own units in from Japan, and NONE of them has come REMOTELY close to finding a grade 4 and getting it to B.C. for anything even in the same ball park as 12K CDN. I strongly doubt:

1. The vehicle you get will actually be a grade 4
2. That the mileage is actually verifiable and correct
3. If you TRULY have a real grade 4 truck, that you could get it for anything near what you say you can.

Having said that, if you can do it, I'd love to hear about it. BUT. Everyone I know who has posted messages like this or who I've spoken with in person, after all was said and done, found out that what they got was NOT what they originally believed they were going to get, at least for that price. Generally JDM's look better than they really are and require effort to prepare for use here in North America.

Please let us know, if you go through with this, how it turns out. To suspend disbelief you will probably need extensive documentation.

Japan 4x4, thank you for the clarification. Please confirm the HP and torque of 1992-1995 version. What about reliability of this diesel engine. I saw on a Canadian importer site that there might be problem with crankshaft. I don't think i will replace the engine of a 1992 i may purchase but i want to make sure it will be more capable than my stock FZJ80. Is there any other modification that will increase HP and torque like an intercooler without affecting durability? Since you are in Japan, do you have a list of trusted exporters in Japan i can deal with to import a truck in Canada.

The power figures as published are correct to the best of my knowledge.

The big end bearings are alleged to be an issue. I have never seen a set worn out but then I don't go looking for them.

If you want to squeeze more power out of it and have no affect the engine then start smoking crack soon. Everything you do will have an effect.

Exporters, nope. I won't do it, I did it a few times and it was such a hassle and the return on investment was so low that I gave up.

Also I concur that $12K for a decent truck is too low. I can't even buy them here for that.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help and opening my eyes on something i was in need for information, it is very appreciated.

I read a lot on the forum for engine mods and i think a 1HD-T with an add-on intercooler will suit my needs even if it will reduce engine life.

I will get in touch with local JDM importers here in Montreal. There are very few and they only import Fairlady, Skyline and other cars i really don't need.

What is a realistic price for a real Grade 4 low mileage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom