For Sale 1992 FJ80 in SoCal- Rust Free - $5500 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey all,

I am selling a 1992 FJ80 which I acquired back in May from a dealer in Arizona, see it here on craigslist out 1992 Toyota Land Cruiser - FJ80 - 3FE engine. This rig is totally rust free underneath and shows very well inside and out as it is a lifetime AZ vehicle.

The 3fe idles and runs strong! When I bought it I had it inspected and all checked out. However on delivery there were a few hidden issues which prevented me from smogging the car in the glorious state of CA. Engine idling rough and a leaking gas tank. I replaced the gas tank and updated the entire ignition system, set the timing and tps, & replaced all the vac hoses, pcv valve hoses, etc. It now idles and runs great. Compression checked and is solid across 6 cylinders. However in the process of doing this work I changed my mind and decided to keep my restored first gen 4runner. In addition after doing all this work I still can not get the HC at idle below threshold, needs to be below 120 and am at 287 ppm. California catalytic converters are going to be $700 which I do not want to invest since I do not plan on keeping. This truck would be a great option for someone who doesn't need to worry about smog or who has a HC idle threshold above 287 or buy here in CA with the disclosure that you will need new cats or some fancy trick to pass smog. I am happy to send a copy of the smog #'s if this is important, I can scan this in from work on monday.

These pictures are the dealer shots, vehicle is in same condition minus that I removed the window tint as it was significantly scratched and messed up so windows are clear.

Other than the above this vehicle is in great shape and with the standard baselining will make a great rig for someone. Send me an private message if you are interested, I will pass on my email or phone # so we can discuss. I am open to offers but am not in a huge rush to sell. I feel the price reflects the current issues and the work put in, which still puts me at a major loss. Happy to answer any questions you may have or arrange for inspections, etc.

Pros:
  • No Rust anywhere on body or frame
  • Engine runs strong, transmission runs strong with no slipping
  • Body shop inspection showed no signs of any frame or significant body work
  • 4x4 system functions
  • AC works
  • Everything critical is in good working order
  • Should pass inspection and smog as is, anywhere other than CA
  • interior is in great shape (except cracked dash)
  • Paint is in great shape - single stage white paints buffs to like new shine
The bad
  • Needs Catalytic converters or other work to pass CA smog
  • Valve cover gasket has slight leak (I will include gasket with sale)
  • Oil pan gasket has slight leak (both valve/oilpan leaks are no more than 1-2 drops a week on ground)
  • Power steering has slight leak, 1-2 drops week
  • Birfs probably due for a rebuild (no problems here, just no record of recent axle service, I planned to do if keeping)
  • Tranny/gear fluids prabably need baselining due to no record of this service
  • dash is cracked from AZ sun
  • driver side rear window does not go down
  • antenna broken

I keep getting a few of the same questions so answering them here.

As you can't smog the truck have you been able to drive it around much?

I never registered it due to the smog issues and once I realized I was going to keep my 4runner, I didnt bother as it would have just cost me a bunch of sales tax to get it under a CA title. I have been driving it in my neighborhood all over where I am not concerned about police, then only venturing out for trips to mechanics, smogging, inspections etc and crossing my fingers not to get pulled over, which I didnt. It is insured however so covered there. The battery did die due to sitting, so it has a new battery just installed through AAA. They tested Starter and Alternator while fixing and they checked out just fine.

What will I need to do to smog it since I live in CA?

The local toyota shop thinks that cleaning out the egr, a new egr diapgram, and new cats will do it. No promises though, if you buy from me for use in CA, please expect to assume smogging responsibility and this will be labeled a "parts car" on the sales document so it is clear in case of any future issue I was crystal clear about the condition and not implying a road ready vehicle for CA. I am more than happy to let you have a mechanic inspect to confirm my mechanics assessment. The situation may be better in reality. My mechanic implied that replacing as little as one of the cats would get it to pass smog, but if the egr isnt addressed that new cat will get ruined and he was only willing to do both egr and cat work.

Are those 17" FJ Cruiser wheels?

Yes, either from an FJ or Tacoma I believe. The tires are 90+% tread

Is the interior as good as it looks in the dealer shots?

Nearly as good. It is in awesome shape compared to just about anything else I looked at at this pricepoint, but not as perfect as his pictures show. Aside from the cracked dash it is an 8/10 for the age and miles. I will work on getting some shots that don't make it look like a 10 like it does in the dealer shots, he certainly had the angles "just right". There are some spots where the carpet is worn, the headliner shows its age more than the pictures show and there are some minor missing trim pieces. I wasnt sweating the missing trim pieces though as they would be sourced in a day or two here on Mud. Also the dashpanel is cracked. I had found some guys on here mud with dashpads for sale so that would have been replaced at some point if kept. Also I removed the tint, as his pictures do not show that the tint was in terrible shape.

Is the exterior as good as it looks in the dealer shots?

The paint yes, it really is in awesome shape and after polishing/waxing looks great. The plastic trim pieces do show their age and sun exposure in some area. I would have been replacing the window weatherstripping which is still available via toyota, not a necessity, just more due to my OCD to detail.

Whats up with the front bumper?

The front bumper is definitely slightly tweaked. The bodyshop I had inspect specifically checked the frame around this area and all checked out, so just the bumper that is slightly "off". They offered to pull it straight on their rack for $100, but my intention was to put an aftermarket bumper on so I declined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom