1992 FJ80 Brake Upgrade?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

Brand new to the Land Cruiser game and to the forum, so apologies if this topic has already seen some conversation, but here goes.

Recently bought a 1992 Land Cruiser with the 3FE (profile). After a couple months driving around, I decided to upgrade the brakes since the old ones were feeling squishy and figured it was about time anyway after changing oil, power steering, etc.

Looked into it and bought some DBA T2 Series rotors, EBC Green pads, and rebuilt OEM calipers, which were received no issue, but the problem I'm running into is that my replacement calipers don't fit the new rotors (T2s look like they're close to 30mm and the calipers seem to accept maybe 27.5 of those). Setup when I bought it included 33s but appears to run off OEM rotors and calipers, so I don't believe a previous brake upgrade was done.

Is anyone else running DBA T2s on an FJ80 that has run into this problem before? Did I just go too big on the rotors unintentionally? Did I miss something entirely when working fitment guides online? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I've had the truck on jacks for about a week and a half and I'm itching to get her put back together. Thanks again for your time and help!

-Phil

tempImageohZfK4.png

the 1994 and up came with bigger brakes. you may have bought a mis matched caliper to rotor combo as a result

Hey everyone,

Brand new to the Land Cruiser game and to the forum, so apologies if this topic has already seen some conversation, but here goes.

Recently bought a 1992 Land Cruiser with the 3FE (profile). After a couple months driving around, I decided to upgrade the brakes since the old ones were feeling squishy and figured it was about time anyway after changing oil, power steering, etc.

Looked into it and bought some DBA T2 Series rotors, EBC Green pads, and rebuilt OEM calipers, which were received no issue, but the problem I'm running into is that my replacement calipers don't fit the new rotors (T2s look like they're close to 30mm and the calipers seem to accept maybe 27.5 of those). Setup when I bought it included 33s but appears to run off OEM rotors and calipers, so I don't believe a previous brake upgrade was done.

Is anyone else running DBA T2s on an FJ80 that has run into this problem before? Did I just go too big on the rotors unintentionally? Did I miss something entirely when working fitment guides online? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I've had the truck on jacks for about a week and a half and I'm itching to get her put back together. Thanks again for your time and help!

-Phil

View attachment 2636990
Hi Phil - Can't help you with the brakes, but I literally just bought almost the same FJ80 (see my profile pic). We'll have to share stories as we get these 92 rigs into shape!

You might want to contact Slee Offroad and ask that question. They sell that brand of rotors.

Thanks for the help so far. Looks like what happened was a mismatch in rotors and calipers because ‘92 definitely came with some smaller setups. So, in true project fashion, I decided to go big instead of home.

Problem now is the new 30mm rotors and calipers don’t fit the 33s on 15in Ultra Motorsport wheels the truck came with when I bought. Anybody had any luck with spacers or should I just double down and get some Black Rhinos or something? Thanks in advance for the semi-free advice. I’ll post some more pics when I get the chance this week.

Thanks for the help so far. Looks like what happened was a mismatch in rotors and calipers because ‘92 definitely came with some smaller setups. So, in true project fashion, I decided to go big instead of home.

Problem now is the new 30mm rotors and calipers don’t fit the 33s on 15in Ultra Motorsport wheels the truck came with when I bought. Anybody had any luck with spacers or should I just double down and get some Black Rhinos or something? Thanks in advance for the semi-free advice. I’ll post some more pics when I get the chance this week.
People sometimes say they get fitment by grinding the caliper a little. No presonal experience with that but eyeballing things may tell you whether this is a practical soloution in your case.

16" wheels and tires will solve the issue, but that won't come cheap.

you are correct, either bigger rims or spacers will solve your problem. depends on your budget. I personally don't like grinding parts to fit, but it is a tried and test solution for fitments that are off by millimeters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom