1992 FJ80 Birfield and Axle Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, long story short, I had a major failure of my brake hardlines this past weekend driving to a camping trip. Lots of smoke from the caliper area. After we towed the truck home we started tearing apart the knuckles to change the seals and overhaul everything, (I had noticed my seals were leaking) When we pulled my birfield and axle we saw some interesting marks/discoloration on the joint and ring marking on the axle shaft itself. I've read that the marks may have to do with heat treatment of some sort, but I’d like your opinions on what’s going on here and if my birfield is salvageable or not. Appreciate the advice a ton guys!

-Jon

FEB946F0-C7CA-4A12-8173-689545784E86.jpeg

The Birfield itself.

5E432E80-7FB2-42A6-9A9F-564A8E502A64.jpeg

Inside the birfield.

866DE596-A5DF-445D-8627-EBF26486CEDF.jpeg

And a picture of the ring mark on the axle shaft, right about where the oil seal would've been.

... When we pulled my birfield and axle we saw some interesting marks/discoloration on the joint and ring marking on the axle shaft itself. ...

Looks like normal manufacturing marks to me.

... And a picture of the ring mark on the axle shaft, right about where the oil seal would've been.

Can simply overdrive the seal, Wits End sells a tool to do just that.

Yuuuuup. You can actually see the groove. Normally you'd run your finger to see if you can feel but that one is obvious.

We actually already have the tool from Witts End coming. lol Figured overdriving the seal was a good idea.

How are the grooves where the BALLS wear and contact inside the Birfield and cage? Andy pitting or grooving there may indicate time for new.

How are the grooves where the BALLS wear and contact inside the Birfield and cage? Andy pitting or grooving there may indicate time for new.

Thanks for the info, we're going to take a good look at them as soon as we thoroughly degrease them. If I see anything gnarly or obvious, I'll post another picture. Closer inspection last night for the calipers....wow...they were probably on their last legs. I have replacements coming in from Cruiser Yard. I'll get a rebuild kit eventually for my originals and keep them as a spare set.

On another note, when we were disassembling the passenger knuckle, we noticed that there was not a shim present on the lower trunion. That...can't be good. Coupled with tool marks on the nuts from someone who obviously didn't have a 54mm driver, makes me think that nothing really was repaired previously to proper spec. So I have a knuckle alignment tool coming in via Trail-Tailor and we're going to do it right. I'm starting to have a decent collection of Toyota SST's lol.

I'll keep everyone updated and be sure to post some nice pics. The final product is going to be sweet.

I have a knuckle alignment tool coming
Not typically used on the 80 series. The shims set the preload on the trunnion bearings, not intended for alignment.

Many of the trunnions do NOT have shims. My truck had one shim only on the TOP trunnion bearing retainer only. Don't really need the knuckle alignment tool.

On the 80 series trucks only one shim is used on the top trunnion and as Spike posted is used to set preload.

In response to the use of the alignment tool, we are replacing the trunion bearings and races. The tool and procedure are listed in my FSM. Don’t know why they’d list it in my index if there wasn’t a scenario that it’s needed. Although if anybody knows otherwise when it’s appropriate to check the alignment on my 80 I’m definitely curious.

In response to the use of the alignment tool, we are replacing the trunion bearings and races. The tool and procedure are listed in my FSM. Don’t know why they’d list it in my index if there wasn’t a scenario that it’s needed. Although if anybody knows otherwise when it’s appropriate to check the alignment on my 80 I’m definitely curious.
The FSM list is probably carried over from the FJ60, and Toyota eventually realized that procedure is not required on your axle. The 80 has used the same front axle from start to finish, with some minor changes in brakes and the outer stub axle/ drive flange. My '94 FSM does not include the alignment tool in the SST list, nor does it mention its use. It merely says to assemble the knuckle, check the preload with a spring tension gauge, and to disassemble and use the appropriate shim (4 thicknesses available) to get the correct preload. But, you do what you gotta do. FWIW here's a link for free download of the FSM- For Sale - 40, 50, 60, and 80 series FSM for a hell of a price.

Edit to add- the FSM mentions the use of an SST to install the trunnion bearing races, which I've never used. It's not the same alignment tool that the earlier series (40, 60) use to center the knuckle.

Last edited:
The FSM list is probably carried over from the FJ60, and Toyota eventually realized that procedure is not required on your axle. The 80 has used the same front axle from start to finish, with some minor changes in brakes and the outer stub axle/ drive flange. My '94 FSM does not include the alignment tool in the SST list, nor does it mention its use. It merely says to assemble the knuckle, check the preload with a spring tension gauge, and to disassemble and use the appropriate shim (4 thicknesses available) to get the correct preload. But, you do what you gotta do. FWIW here's a link for free download of the FSM- For Sale - 40, 50, 60, and 80 series FSM for a hell of a price.

Edit to add- the FSM mentions the use of an SST to install the trunnion bearing races, which I've never used. It's not the same alignment tool that the earlier series (40, 60) use to center the knuckle.

I appreciate the help, I’m just a little paranoid about minimizing any wobble in the axle that could cause premature seal wear, especially the inner axle seal. I guess the good news is that the SST we bought can also be used on my Dads 40 so it’s a win win still.

For what it’s worth, I found this video of someone using the knuckle alignment SST tool on an 80 series. Enjoy guys!

For what it’s worth, I found this video of someone using the knuckle alignment SST tool on an 80 series. Enjoy guys!

You can use the tool on the '80, same as any other Toyota axle, but don't see the point? Even if it were determined to be slightly off, are lower shims even available, I have never seen one? They are not designed for lower shims, if installed, how would you set preload? Some have none, most one, a few two upper thin shims that set bearing preload, almost never need to be changed.

The early axles have a shim stack top and bottom, were designed to be centered that way. The '80 has a seal with a bellows, allows for more miss-alignment and are likely machined to a closer tolerance. If you wanted to convert to the shim pack, would need to machine the knuckle to make room for the shim pack?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom