1992 3fe Fires up then dies... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on here. I've done a lot of research and digging around the forum and I really do appreciate this community. So the background story, I purchased a 1992 FJ80 and I fell in love immediately. Took her trailing through the Sam Houston National Forest and noticed it was running a little hot. We are no mechanics, but my dad and I decided to do a head gasket job along with some other things. after assembling everything she would crank and crank and crank.... nothing. So far here is everything we've done...

all top end gaskets and seals, all 3 belts, spark plugs, efi relay, fusible link, battery, power steering pump, fuel pump, fuel sock, water pump, fuel filter, and water temp sensor all replaced. Head machined, IAC valve and air flow meter were cleaned (the screws of death were left untouched). I ran a spark test and compression test, everything is within spec. Have yet to run a fuel pressure test yet, but when I crack the cold start injector it sprays fuel. I also did extensive testing to the air flow meter, resistance from all terminals reading normal, when key is on and air gate is opened fuel pump comes on. CEL is on when key is turned to "on", no trouble codes.

As of today, when I try starting the car, it will fire right up but immediately sputter out. When I jump the fuel pump terminals it will fire up and stay running for 5-10 seconds, I can even build rpm to about 2500.. but after that she dies. Like I said, I am no mechanic, I know how to turn a wrench though. Any thoughts or Ideas will be greatly appreciated!

-Cole

This sounds like fuel starvation to me. You need to verify that the fuel pump stays on after you release the key from the start position. Jumping the FP to B+ terminals in the diagnostic connector will bypass all the FP logic and the pump should continue to run as long as the key is in the run position.

Another possibility is a faulty fuel pressure regulator, but when they fail, it typically overpressurizes the fuel rail.

It could also be as simple as a partially clogged fuel rail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom