SOLD 1991 VX Limited 80 series Toyota Landcruiser, triple locked, 136k miles, new paint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Mudders!

I have a 1991 diesel Toyota Land Cruiser SUV in excellent condition. This HDJ81 VX Limited Turbo Toyota Land Cruiser was imported directly from Japan and is right hand drive. It gets excellent gas mileage and has tons of torque! I have way too many toys and this one must go.

Super low mileage at only 219k KM, which is only 136k miles. I'm not sure if the BEBs have been done in Japan but I have not done anything to it besides replacing one of the car batteries and also the hood/lift gate gas shocks.

It is TRIPLE LOCKED and all the e-lockers work as they should.

Here are some of the updates:

- New paint job from Japan
- New front hood shocks
- New rear liftgate shocks
- New car battery

I have the original Japanese title and other associated import documentation from Japan. This LC has not been registered in California, but it is possible with smog modifications. For many other states this is not a problem but please check out the smog laws in your state.

I'm selling this car for $19,900 or best offer.

Please contact Jon if you're interested.

20190527_201840.jpg

20190527_201919.jpg

20190527_202010.jpg

20190527_202114.jpg

20190527_202124.jpg

Last edited:
To be clear, under no circumstances can a diesel import be registered in the state of California through smog modifications. That only applies to gassers.

The future buyer's best bet will be to register in another state first and then try to register in CA. Even then, it's still not technically allowed but I know a few people who have succeeded this way.

To be clear, under no circumstances can a diesel import be registered in the state of California through smog modifications. That only applies to gassers.

The future buyer's best bet will be to register in another state first and then try to register in CA. Even then, it's still not technically allowed but I know a few people who have succeeded this way.

Here’s a link to company that does these modifications.

Last edited:
Beautiful rig and GLWS. If I may ask, which importer did you use? There’s a few up here in the PNW but I’m trying to get feedback on someone who went through the process successfully.

Does the power antenna go up and down? Do the side mirrors fold in like they should?

Does the power antenna go up and down? Do the side mirrors fold in like they should?

Yes, both the driver and passenger side mirrors work with the buttonon top of the directional adjustments.

The antenna goes up/down as designed.

Sorry man, but that information is out of date.

California DMV
"No motorcycle or diesel-powered vehicle can be converted to California emission standards." ("Vehicles Purchased From Out of the Country (Grey Market)"

But like I said, this hasn't stopped a number of people successfully registering their import diesels. It really comes down to the DMV you take it to and whether they will hassle you or not.

This is a good thread covering the topic.

Just cause I hate misinformation not that it has nothing to do with this thread BUT you can certainly get this vehicle registered in CA and passed CARB by spending the $$$$ to get a DEF System added and the relevant testing. Last quote I had was about $10k .

Is it financially responsible HEELL NO but it can be done so saying it can't be is not correct.

Do I have first hand knowledge and quotes to support this - YES and I also sold the vehicle out of state once I added up what it was going to cost me to do it.

This information is accurate within the last 12 mths and supported by the link you posted "Not all direct import vehicles over two years old can be converted to California emission standards and FMVSS. No motorcycle or diesel-powered vehicle can be converted to California emission standards. For details, contact the California Air Resources Board (CARB). "

If you contact CARB they will direct you to one of their "Approved" Agencies which is pretty much GNK Auto's who will happily take your $$$$ - G & K Automotive Services | EPA & CARB Emissions Requirements

If you press the Get Quote option and fill in your details you will get a response such as -

"Thank you for contacting G & K for your vehicle compliance needs. Your vehicles requires modification, testing, and certification to meet California Standards. The cost is $9,950.00 for each vehicle and will take approximately 8-12 weeks to complete. Should you decide to pursue the certification of your vehicle, so you can register it in the state of California, please contact us at (714) 545-9503 ext. 219 to schedule the inspection of your vehicle. Please provide a copy of all documents related to your vehicle such as the foreign title and customs entry forms. Thank you "

Several phone calls and a visit later they will confirm they can do it and book you in :)

Anyway, if someone is keen at $19k + $10K = $29K it is not unrealistic for someone who really wants it in CA.

Just cause I hate misinformation not that it has nothing to do with this thread BUT you can certainly get this vehicle registered in CA and passed CARB by spending the $$$$ to get a DEF System added and the relevant testing. Last quote I had was about $10k .

Is it financially responsible HEELL NO but it can be done so saying it can't be is not correct.

Do I have first hand knowledge and quotes to support this - YES and I also sold the vehicle out of state once I added up what it was going to cost me to do it.

This information is accurate within the last 12 mths and supported by the link you posted "Not all direct import vehicles over two years old can be converted to California emission standards and FMVSS. No motorcycle or diesel-powered vehicle can be converted to California emission standards. For details, contact the California Air Resources Board (CARB). "

If you contact CARB they will direct you to one of their "Approved" Agencies which is pretty much GNK Auto's who will happily take your $$$$ - G & K Automotive Services | EPA & CARB Emissions Requirements

If you press the Get Quote option and fill in your details you will get a response such as -

"Thank you for contacting G & K for your vehicle compliance needs. Your vehicles requires modification, testing, and certification to meet California Standards. The cost is $9,950.00 for each vehicle and will take approximately 8-12 weeks to complete. Should you decide to pursue the certification of your vehicle, so you can register it in the state of California, please contact us at (714) 545-9503 ext. 219 to schedule the inspection of your vehicle. Please provide a copy of all documents related to your vehicle such as the foreign title and customs entry forms. Thank you "

Several phone calls and a visit later they will confirm they can do it and book you in :)

Anyway, if someone is keen at $19k + $10K = $29K it is not unrealistic for someone who really wants it in CA.

Thank you for the research. The gas savings will add up over the years and not to mentionthat it’s a cool SUV. It’s not everyday that you have a triple locked diesel LC that has a freezer in the center console. All that for less than a new Honda Accord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom