1991 tranny (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was looking at a 91 with tranny issues. Any idea how much a rebiuld would cost. The rig has over 200k on it, but I thouhgt the trannys were good for more than thet (I had a 60 with over 260k and the origional tranny).

Patrick
85 fj60-stock with rust n' dents

bout $3K for a rebuild

hi

they should last longer than that unless severly abused or neglected.it is a transmission that was used in 30000 lb busses.i bought mine with 189000 miles on it with unknown maintainence history.it shifted great.was happy when i dropped the pan to see how good it looked in there.what kind of problems does it have?maybe just kickdown cable needs adjusted?:beer:

OMG, so what? Point stands-A440F is a strong tranny, used for buses/Coaters or whateverthehell you want to call them. Such mileage in most cases should not show "bad tranny" signs with this particular tranny, unless as correctly stated by tevogel, it was otherwised abused.

alaskacruiser said:
tevogel- where on earth did you get this 30,000lb rating? According to a quick search, the curb weight of the 14 passenger Toyota Coaster in which the A442F was used is less than *one-third* of that: 9,130lbs.

See:
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...a/docs/hd_hev.xls+"toyota+coaster"+gvwr&hl=en

fj803fe said:
OMG, so what? Point stands-A440F is a strong tranny, used for buses/Coaters or whateverthehell you want to call them. Such mileage in most cases should not show "bad tranny" signs with this particular tranny, unless as correctly stated by tevogel, it was otherwised abused.

fj803fe- I agree, that is premature mileage for such a failure. However, the 30,000lb number is not just a little off, it's way, way off. Thought it should be corrected for people reading it so A442F owners don't start tossing that number around in the hotly (and playfully) debated 343 vs. 442 tranny discussions. :cheers:

alaskacruiser said:
tevogel- where on earth did you get this 30,000lb rating? According to a quick search, the curb weight of the 14 passenger Toyota Coaster in which the A442F was used is less than *one-third* of that: 9,130lbs.

See:
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...a/docs/hd_hev.xls+"toyota+coaster"+gvwr&hl=en

I would guess the rating is quite a bit higher than the actual vehicle weight. I rode in a 33 passenger Dynacoaster Bus when I was overseas. It was a NA diesel with an A440. I don't know what the actual weight rating is but I don't think 30,000lbs is that extreme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom