1991 Toyota Land Cruiser feels unstable on freeway or driving over bumps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
FYI...im a nubie to this forum and this site, I'm looking for advice on why 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser v6 4.0. sways or feels unstable on freeway or high speeds (55-70mph) I recently put on new tires 33in Tires BFG A/T. when ever I hit a bump on the freeway it feels like the whole car sways and is unstable. So before I start replacing parts and things. Can anyone give a little guidance? please and thank you in advance for any guidance.

1) Check for equal tire pressures across each axle (front axle and rear axle)
2) Replace the shocks with factory Toyota (Tokico) shocks unless you're planning on doing lifts and such. The Tokico shocks are less costly than all the aftermarket stuff and a better application for a stock truck.
3) Check all your sway bar and suspension bushings to make sure they are not cracked, torn, ripped, or missing.
4) Check all your steering components (Wheel bearings, Tie Rod Ends (TRE), knuckle studs (bottom of each front knuckle), drag link TRE's, steering gear
5) Alignment (Toe-in/out, camber, caster)
6) Rebuild your front axle (Wheel bearings, seals, trunnion bearings)

I never heard of a v6 toyota land cruiser....

If the parts are original than you will need to replace all the rubber bushings in the suspension after 30 years.

And check all the non-rubber parts that bilt4me listed above.

2) Replace the shocks with factory Toyota (Tokico) shocks unless you're planning on doing lifts and such. The Tokico shocks are less costly than all the aftermarket stuff and a better application for a stock truck.
3) Check all your sway bar and suspension bushings to make sure they are not cracked, torn, ripped, or missing.
4) Check all your steering components (Wheel bearings, Tie Rod Ends (TRE), knuckle studs (bottom of each front knuckle), drag link TRE's, steering gear

Thank you for taking the time!
I do plan eventually putting a aftermarket suspension lift on it. Do you have any recommendations on any bushing/restoration kits or do I need to purchase them individually?

I’m trying to make the rig roadworthy and safe before I get into the aftermarket accessories. But what suspension kit would you recommend for entry level?

Thank you for taking the time!
I do plan eventually putting a aftermarket suspension lift on it. Do you have any recommendations on any bushing/restoration kits or do I need to purchase them individually?

I’m trying to make the rig roadworthy and safe before I get into the aftermarket accessories. But what suspension kit would you recommend for entry level?
First, you must advise your intended use of the vehicle.
Second, who is doing the work? You? Are you just writing the check? Are you ordering your own parts? Are you just learning? Many things here to consider before you can get a "proper" answer.
Third: Budget. How much?

www.partsouq.com
Local Toyota Dealerships
www.cruiserteq.com (Cruiser Outfitters)
Slee Off Road

First, you must advise your intended use of the vehicle.
Second, who is doing the work? You? Are you just writing the check? Are you ordering your own parts? Are you just learning? Many things here to consider before you can get a "proper" answer.
Third: Budget. How much?

www.partsouq.com
Local Toyota Dealerships
www.cruiserteq.com (Cruiser Outfitters)
Slee Off Road
This is going to be a daily driver and a weekend adventure vehicle. More than likely I’m writing the check I will do minor repairs myself that I feel comfortable doing.

I’m not sure what the budget should be for the type of problem I’m having. but I am willing to Spend whatever is necessary to make it safe and roadworthy (Within reason)

Keep it mild.
Go with Toyota replacement parts whenever possible.
You have the 3F-E engine, so you have less issues with head gaskets, etc, but you are at a point that some parts are getting harder to find.

Front axles are nearly identical between all years except your front brakes. They are small.
All your bushings should be Toyota.
Start with the Tokico shocks. You can always sell them if you decide to get a big lift, however, the Tokico's will work just fine with up to a 2.5" lift is you choose to go with new springs, so you won't NEED new shocks at that time.
Check out the front wheel bearings and look at the tie rods and all that. Safety first. Definitely check the knuckle studs on the lower Right Front knuckle. They are known to fall out and have catastrophic damage.

Keep it mild.
Go with Toyota replacement parts whenever possible.
You have the 3F-E engine, so you have less issues with head gaskets, etc, but you are at a point that some parts are getting harder to find.

Front axles are nearly identical between all years except your front brakes. They are small.
All your bushings should be Toyota.
Start with the Tokico shocks. You can always sell them if you decide to get a big lift, however, the Tokico's will work just fine with up to a 2.5" lift is you choose to go with new springs, so you won't NEED new shocks at that time.
Check out the front wheel bearings and look at the tie rods and all that. Safety first. Definitely check the knuckle studs on the lower Right Front knuckle. They are known to fall out and have catastrophic damage.
Having experienced this first hand, I cannot stress enough the need to start by "checking ur nutz!" There should be four studs on the lower side of the right steering knuckle. The studs hold the steering bar and drag link onto the bottom of the knuckle. If you see four, make sure they are tight. If you see less than four, call a buddy to go fetch parts and a wrench. If you just got the truck, these studs will likely be buried beneath and mound of black sludge.

I second Bilt's call on start with OEM shocks, bushings and tie rods ends first.

Bushings:
Rear upper and lower links
Rear panhard
Rear sway bar links
Rear sway cushions
Front radius arms
Front panhard
Front sway bar end
Front sway bar link

Here's an example: 80 Series Complete Suspension Bushing and Hardware Kit - https://absolute-wits-end.com/80-series-complete-suspension-bushing-and-hardware-kit/

Also, partsouq.com is a great place for OEM parts - ships out of UAE where LC parts are plentiful and affordable.

I second Bilt's call on start with OEM shocks, bushings and tie rods ends first.

Bushings:
Rear panhard
Rear sway bar links
Rear sway cushions
Front radius arms
Front panhard
Front sway bar end
Front sway bar link

Here's an example: 80 Series Complete Suspension Bushing and Hardware Kit - https://absolute-wits-end.com/80-series-complete-suspension-bushing-and-hardware-kit/

Also, partsouq.com is a great place for OEM parts - ships out of UAE where LC parts are plentiful and affordable.

Bushings:
Rear panhard
Rear sway bar links
Rear sway cushions
Front radius arms
Front panhard
Front sway bar end
Front sway bar link

I appreciate you guys for taking the time, thank you. It’s been very helpful, As far as these shocks go where would you recommend a purchase them? As far as these shocks ( Tokico shocks ) go where would you recommend a purchase them?

Check steering free play, that was my problem for what you described. I adjusted the nut on top of steering box, problem went away.
This was after I replaced front arm bushings, steering damper, replaced all front sway bar bushings and rebuilt front axle.

The following part numbers are from a '97. I don't know the part numbers for a '91/'92 and/or how different they are but you should be able to enter your VIN into the partsouq site to explore parts specific to your 80. I've been running these OE shocks for a few years and think they are well balanced for my uses which are typically unloaded, mostly on road and mild.

right/passenger rear shock48531-69485$46.00REAR SPRING & SHOCK ABSORBER | Toyota LAND CRUISER FZJ80L-GCPEKV FJ80,HDJ80,HZJ80,FZJ80 | Parts Catalogs | PartSouq - https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/unit?c=Toyota&ssd=%24%2AKwFoXE1EOD0oJA09NxdcTDAkBAMdbGNub31jUSF5KH9geQZ8Ly9yeGFuICQuNTpDdjM5Mjh_YGlwfGVkdXhhfmlia2h8Ly94NHlmf25jbGk7NFJ4JiIrMz8cJSFucnhhfH9tYm1tNz0zdnt-NC55Zn4hXVAIGhF_dnt-M2AvK3p5GgcQY2wSLkpSCh4XC3h3fHx1bjNgezIoNjdwfiFreD55Zn1paiEAAAAAnLE5NQ%24&vid=0&cid=2&uid=335070&q=48531-69485 Genuine Toyota Shock Absorber Assembly Rear Left - https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~absorber~assy~shock~rear~rh~48531-69485.html
left/driver rear shock48531-69485$46.0048531-69485 Genuine Toyota Shock Absorber Assembly Rear Left - https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~absorber~assy~shock~rear~rh~48531-69485.html
right/passenger front shock48511-69388$41.00FRONT SPRING & SHOCK ABSORBER | Toyota LAND CRUISER FZJ80L-GCPEKV FJ80,HDJ80,HZJ80,FZJ80 | Parts Catalogs | PartSouq - https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/unit?c=Toyota&ssd=%24%2AKwG7j56X6-77997u5MSPn-P319DOv7C9vK6wgvKq-6yzqtWv_Pyhq7K98_f95umQpeDq4euss7qjr7a3pquyrbqxuLyv_Pyr56q1rL2wv7ro5oGr9fH44OzP9vK9oauyr6y-sb6-5O7gpait5_2qta3yjoPbycKspait4LP8-KmqydTDsL_B_ZmB2c3E2Kukr6-mveCzqOH75eSjrfK4q-2qta66ufIAAAAAcFzLgQ%24&vid=0&cid=2&uid=335069&q=48511-69386 - Toyota Parts Deal - https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~absorber~assy~shock~front~rh~48511-69386.html?Make=Toyota&Model=Land+Cruiser&Year=1997&Submodel=&Filter=()&Location=front-spring-shock-absorber,,48510
left/driver front shock48511-69386$41.0048511-69388 - Toyota Parts Deal - https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~absorber~assy~shock~front~rh~48511-69388.html?Make=Toyota&Model=Land+Cruiser&Year=1997&Submodel=&Filter=()&Location=front-spring-shock-absorber,,48510

Check steering free play, that was my problem for what you described. I adjusted the nut on top of steering box, problem went away.
This was after I replaced front arm bushings, steering damper, replaced all front sway bar bushings and rebuilt front axle.
Ahh yes - great advice, start with something that doesn’t cost you anything!

Ahh yes - great advice, start with something that doesn’t cost you anything!
The basic procedure to all troubleshooting! Cheap to expensive, simple to complicated.
I am baselining my rig and I replaced the other parts due to wear and tear and age. But basic troubleshooting usually reveals that it is often something simple that is the problem.🤦‍♂️

I appreciate you guys for taking the time, thank you. It’s been very helpful, As far as these shocks go where would you recommend a purchase them? As far as these shocks ( Tokico shocks ) go where would you recommend a purchase them?
From one of the locations of the internet links I placed in the reply to you. That's why I included them.

Not all Toyota dealerships price their parts the same. Now you need to learn that on your own based on where you live.

First thing - check your air pressure. I got new tires put on the start of a 7000 mile road trip. I felt like the truck was trying to kill me at highway speeds. I checked the tire pressures and they were about 90 pounds. Aired down to 45 and it was right as rain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom