SOLD 1991 HDJ77 LX Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1991 PZJ77 LX Toyota Land Cruiser JDM, 1HD-T, H55F 5spd

Well, regretfully, my vehicle needs have changed and I am putting my baby up for sale. I have owned this truck since May 2007 with 142,000km on it. Although I loved the truck itself, the PZ was leaving me wanting more. I found a 1HD-T for sale, bought it, and installed it(read more details below) to be as factory looking as possible. The truck has provided me and my wife lots of good road trips down the Oregon Coast, Colorado, Utah and just pokin around Southern BC. This Cruiser unfortunately and almost regretfully has been almost a pavement princess. It does get a work out once in a while to get a load of firewood or take me to a trailhead, but has not gotten any serious off-roading. It has treated me very well since installing the 1HD-T with only regular maintenance required.

All mileage references are what is on vehicle at time of replacement unless otherwise noted

Originally a PZJ77/R151 5spd. Removed PZ/R151 and replaced with 1HD-T/H55F in 2010.
Currently 296,000 km on truck
Never smoked in...since i have owned it

INTERIOR:
Great shape. Dash is solid, headliner is perfect, seats are all 10/10 except driver side has a small showing of wear, but no tears. Suspension seat bases up front cushion your ride. Door panels all in excellent condition. Minor scuffs in rear cargo area. Carpet is 9/10.
Silver(grey) cloth interior
A/C
Manual windows
Manual locks
power mirrors
Pioneer stereo with aftermarket speakers
24/12V converter in glove box
2-12v outlets in cargo area and 1-12v outlet under dash
Rear factory built-in utility box under carpet
Pyrometer gauge
Boost gauge

EXTERIOR:
Paint is really good and shiny. Minor scuffs and chips like any 25 yr old vehicle. Small dent/crease by rear right tail light. Small rust starting on right front fender and rear quarters behind tire. Frame excellent shape with little to no rust. I sprayed the frame, complete underside of vehicle and inside all of the doors with Fluid Film every fall.
Silver body colour - factory
New windshield
ARB front bull bar
24V Toyota winch
H4 headlamps
Driving lights
ARB Safari rack
16" Toyota steel wheels painted black
235/85R16 Goodyear Duratrac 40-50% tread
Spare tire on rear door 235/85R16 Toyo M-55
2" OME springs/shocks/stabilizer/shackles
Front knuckles rebuilt in 2016 (bearings and all seals) (@274,000km)
Tie rod ends replaced (@274,000km)
2-1/2" Stainless Steel mandrel bent exhuast front to back installed with magnaflow muffler(@274,000km) Sounds really nice and you can hear the turbo whistle!!
Front brake pads (@254,000km)
Rear ladder
Rear bumper, ladder, hitch - powder coated black
Old rusty full floater center caps on rear axle are fake....just thought they looked cool!

DRIVETRAIN:
Currently 247,000 km on 1HD-T engine
Currently 66,000 km on new H55F transmission
Regular oil changes, past 5 years been running Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic
24V everything (except stereo)
Timing belt/water pump (@230,000km)
Rear main seal replaced when engine installed (@230,000km)
Bottom End Bearings replaced by previous owner of engine
Injectors replaced by previous owner of engine
Glow plugs(Toyota) replaced (@236,000km)
Exidy H.D. Clutch kit when trans installed
Transfer case rebuilt with Terrain Tamer kit when swap happened
Bell housing and flywheel from HZ engine
Rebuilt Radiator (@230,000km)
New rad hoses
New belts A/C, alternator (@282,000km)
Zerostart circulation heater
Rebuilt 24v alternator (@282,000km)
Power steering
Power brakes
Manual locking Aisan hubs (electronic hubs removed before i owned vehicle)
Semi-floating rear axle
Frame is solid and factory black paint is in mint condition. Lots of JDM cruisers have the "lets paint the frame before we send it to north america" painted frame. Not this one

Serious interest: I have more photos to send via email

20170630_115129_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Last edited:
Wow, if I wasn't half way through building my own HDJ77 from a silver PZJ77 I would be very interested. It looks like a nice clean 70 series with great modifications.

can this rig be imported to the states now that you swapped the engine?

If this truck is to be imported into the USA, it will be up to the buyer to ensure importation details.
@60toyetero, i wouldn't think that the engine would have anything to do with importation as the VIN #is what they are after. However, i am no import guru!

Beautiful rig! By far my favorite Cruiser, and this one is set up perfectly! GLWS!

On the importation note, I have imported one vehicle that had a swapped engine, and the border agent didn't seem to care at all. This swap looks so cleanly done that I doubt any border agent would notice the difference anyway.

I would like to meet the customs agent that can tell the difference between a 1HZ and a 1HD-T
by simply raising the hood. :)

can this rig be imported to the states now that you swapped the engine?

By the books an engine swapped car that has an engine different from factory installed engine isn't legal for entry. You just have to hope the custom agent isn't a cruiser nut.

I would like to meet the customs agent that can tell the difference between a 1HZ and a 1HD-T
by simply raising the hood. :)

Ah but telling the difference from the factory 5 cylinder diesel vs the transplanted 6 cylinder diesel might be easier to spot!:beer:

It really all depends on the border agent. When I imported my G-Wagen the agent knew that the vehicle had a 5-cylinder diesel in place of its original 6-cylinder gas engine, but didn't say anything about it. It was very obviously a heavily modified rig, but he was fine with it.

I don't think any reputable importer/customs broker will take the risk of importing it for the buyer so it is probably all on the buyer to do the customs paperwork should it be brought into the US.

Kinda stupid because you are pretty much free to put in any engine you want once it crosses the border unlike some other countries.

Last edited:
Whatever the case, if there was an issue, whether it be importation or vehicle failure immediately after purchasing this vehicle, i would not run away and hide. I have loved Landcruisers(and daily driven them) for over twenty years and know quite a few members of this community all around the world. So, yes, research importation laws before you buy anything! Will a customs agent realize it is a 6 cyl instead of a 5, I don't really know. Is it important that a 25 year old vehicle still have its original engine, I don't know that either. I brought a FJ60 up here from Colorado quite a few years ago and I don't think the Canada customs agent even looked at the vehicle!

This truck is over 25 years old, yes? I've not heard of the agents going into and underneath inspecting everything from bumper to bumper. I have never heard of someone being turned away but I don't read every single import thread either.

I do agree that it depends on the agent and his/her mood.

Good luck with your sale. Nice truck.

Last edited:
this is a really nice truck, but I am super curious on the suspension seats. I don't ever recall seeing those before [maybe others have]. Is this a frame switch out with the seats or is it a whole different deal? how much "smoother" do things feel with these ?

thanks

Eric

The suspension seats are awesome. I found that they were great for normal on-road use, and improved ride comfort a lot. This was in my coil sprung Prado; I can only imagine how nice they would be in a leaf sprung Cruiser! The one downside is that it becomes hard to control the throttle when driving over really rough ground in low range, but luckily they have a lockout lever to take care of that problem.

@hatleye the suspension base seats were standard on the CDN BJ70. I grabbed these bases out of one of these trucks and installed them. There were factory holes/wejded in nuts for these seats to bolt to in my truck. As @AirheadNut has already explained, they are awesome! Especially on leaf sprung vehicles! I do agree with the fact that they can cause a bit of throttle foot variation on the already sensitive 1HD-T throttle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom