1991 Power Steering - Loose Belt - SOLVED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey fellas - I've got a significantly loose PS belt (at least for starters) causing hard and notchy steering especially at lower RPMs.

1991, FJ80, 3FE

I replaced the belt (along with the other two and the water pump and that pulley that rattles) probably 10K miles ago with new OEM. Steering fluid has leaked for a while, probably because pump and lines are original, just been adding fluid till I got around to replacing all the lines and rebuilding the pump, then the tranny happened.

Quite a bit of time has passed due to that transmission odyssey, but when I finally got her back, she was way low on steering fluid and it took well over a quart to get her back to full. And the belt seems loose in a way that I'm not sure I can tighten.

The main idler pulley for the PS belt looks to be adjusted all the way tight (toward the passenger side).
I gently coaxed the PS pump to the top of the adjustment range with a pry bar.
The alternator belt seems tight enough that I don't want to crank on the alternator too much to try to take up the slack.

But what I noticed is that the edges of the belt seem a bit frayed and the belt seems to be riding low in the pulleys. To my eye anyway.

There's also about 1/4" of fore/aft play in the PS Pump shaft when I pull on the pulley. Not sure if that's OK. If anyone wants a more precise measurement of the movement, let me know, I'll get it.

Can you guys take a look at the pics and let me know if you think maybe the pulleys are worn, the belt is worn, or I might have another issue? Thanks!

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

Also, those do not appear to be factory belts and have the rear notches.

I would recommend new belts (OEM are cheap and easy....) and make sure that the oil being leaked is not contaminating your belts and causing them to slip and wear. Make sure they are properly adjusted.

Has been run loose, causing significant belt wear, making it narrower.

Hmm - This is reasonable. I haven't rechecked the FSM, but it's entirely possible that I loosened this belt for some reason and didn't re-tension properly. I can't think why other than it possibly being in the way of something else I was trying to get to, but I did quite a few side projects in the "while I have half the truck apart" mode when I was working on the transmission.

Also, those do not appear to be factory belts and have the rear notches.

I would recommend new belts (OEM are cheap and easy....) and make sure that the oil being leaked is not contaminating your belts and causing them to slip and wear. Make sure they are properly adjusted.

It's a Toyota belt # 90916-02193-B. Bought all three at the dealership, if memory serves. This one shipped today from AMZ - hope you're not telling me that's the wrong belt. :eek: But seriously, do OEM belts not usually have the v-notches? All three of mine say Toyota and have notches.

Good point on the oil contamination, I think it's OK, but I'll check it.

Hmm - This is reasonable. I haven't rechecked the FSM, but it's entirely possible that I loosened this belt for some reason and didn't re-tension properly. I can't think why other than it possibly being in the way of something else I was trying to get to, but I did quite a few side projects in the "while I have half the truck apart" mode when I was working on the transmission.

It's a Toyota belt # 90916-02193-B. Bought all three at the dealership, if memory serves. This one shipped today from AMZ - hope you're not telling me that's the wrong belt. :eek: But seriously, do OEM belts not usually have the v-notches? All three of mine say Toyota and have notches.

Good point on the oil contamination, I think it's OK, but I'll check it.

IDK on those. I made an ASSumption. I'm an 80 guy and therefore imposed my limited knowledge there onto yours.

Since I drive other old stuff....Yes, oil on the belt will cause it to wear that way.

I keep the belt on the Studebaker just tight enough it doesn't squeal under hard acceleration, but loose enough it doesn't eat the water pump every 5000 miles.

Last edited:
IDK on those. I made an ASSumption. I'm an 80 guy and therefore imposed my limited knowledge there onto yours.

Since I drive other old stuff....Yes, oil on the belt will cause it to wear that way.

I keep the belt on the Studebaker just tight enough it doesn't squeal under hard acceleration, but loose enough it doesn't at the water pump every 5000 miles.

I do think you're on to something. I give it 50/50 that I didn't tighten that belt properly. I'll get the new one in a couple of days and see. Be good to be back to merely-leaky rather than hard-to-steer with just one 30-minute belt change.

I do think you're on to something. I give it 50/50 that I didn't tighten that belt properly. I'll get the new one in a couple of days and see. Be good to be back to merely-leaky rather than hard-to-steer with just one 30-minute belt change.

My truck is a 1FZ and I have found that it likes the belts REALLY TIGHT. To the point that it bothers me. But if I leave them where I think they should be, they get chewed up in about 8000 miles. When REALLY tight, they will go 20K.

Maybe your 3FE needs them tighter.

The other thing I see is that the inside of your pulleys are rusty. How often is this driven? A rusty pulley will chew up belts until it's shiny. Then only if it's pitted will it continue to chew them up.

If you drive a bit enough to take out the rust, then let it sit a few weeks and lather, rinse, repeat....then maybe that's why it's only getting 5000 miles on a set of belts.

Some have them, others are smooth, there are advantages to the "v-notches. Dealer belts are cheap, so there is that, have had better results, life, from good aftermarket belts.

Thanks for the feedback, all! Fast shipping, 10 minutes slipping old and new belts around the fan, new belt on, sitting nice and high like it should, and back in action. I have plenty of room to re-tighten in a few dozen miles as it breaks in.

And I think know what happened. Way too long of a story that goes back to changing the rear main seal nearly a year ago, but I think I remember when I got distracted and made the mistake that trashed the old belt. Short version, while trying unsuccessfully to rotate the engine with the crank pulley, I may have loosened both tensioners through that passenger wheel well, thinking the accessories might be preventing me rotating the crank. When I discovered that the engine wouldn't turn because yours truly had mounted the dang flex plate BACKWARDS :censor: ... in my dismay and shame I may have forgotten to re-tighten one of the two tensioners.

She sat for about a year with very minimal running during the transmission odyssey - I'll keep an eye on the rusty pulleys. It was surface in my opinion, I bet they'll polish back up in a jiff.

Regardless, good for now and I don't have to fear parking. Thanks!

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom