Lee777 1991 LJ 78 Prado Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fwiw, we (Cruiser Outfitters) stock all of the parts you'll need to convert the E-Hub to manual hubs. Give us a call if we can be of help!

The plan was to use the hub and spindles off a 80’s toyota 4x4 donor axle and retain the LJ 78 knuckles and brake calipers. I was planning to mate the new vented rotors (lj78) with the 80’s hub but to my dismay ran into some issues.

Issue 1) the donor axle came with two different rotor/hub wheel bolt configurations (ouch). One setup had 2 screws attaching the rotor to the hub, whereas the other didnt. Each configuration has different wheel bolts.

Issue 2) The vented rotors have threads where the where the wheel bolts go and clearly the wheel bolts I have dont fit.

I could swap the whole the whole 80’s shebang over with the knuckles. The issue there would be Im not sure if the brake calipers off the LJ 78 will fit the non vented rotors from the 80’s. If it did work, I would have to get them turned...they look pretty old ..and tge brakes wouldnt be as good?

An alternative would be to take Postoy up on his offer for his LJ 78 spindles (recall one of mine is destroyed) and use an adapter so I could put the manual Asin hub dial on my LJ 78 hub.

Any help is appreciated. At least I got some Asin manual hubs oug of the 200 dollar donor axel, lol

Lee

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Interesting, So if you take the 2 screws out of the one the rotor comes off the hub?

Can you hammer out all the studs and separate the rotors from the hubs? Id like to have a look at the bare hubs all apart.
How do the spindles look on that axle?

I cant say I have ever seen a thread in style rotor. So I am drawing a blank there.

I will be pulling the front axle out of my old truck soon, I should really take some better pictures of what I did on mine.
Again I used the mini truck Spindle, spindle hub and manual locking hub. LC Knuckles, rotors and calipers. The LC rotors and calipers I bought were listed for a 2nd or 3rd gen 4runner.

I wish you were closer, Id love to just come over and have a look but I just looked up where Salmo was and you are waaaay far away from me lol

I agree Postoy, more investigation is needed.

The new vented rotors I have from Lordco must be the wrong ones since my old LJ 78 rotors dont have threads in the holes. Also The new wheel studs are the wrong studs as they have a higher thread count than the LC.
I didnt check the 80’s pickup axle thoroughly before I bought it and the guy wasnt sure of its origin. Now that im more aware of these details I think I can go back to the drawing board. :confused:

Thank you so much for all your help you guys! There is no way I could take this on without the help of this board. Its much appreciated!

I was wondering about the EHub to manual adapters that Radd Cruisers had. How do these work? I searched the forum but couldnt find any diagrams. Does the adapter require a working Ehub assembly or does it replace the Ehub?

I ask because my Ehub assembly is ratched as can be seen in the set of pictures at the beginning of this thread.
Lee

:DI spoke with John at Radd Cruisers and confirmed the adapter does not require the ehub assembly and actually replaces it. Im really stoked to have those ordered up and on the way. Ill be sure to shoot some pictures about the install.

Ill have the 60mm dobinsons lift (shocks, coils, steering dampener, 2.5 deg castor correction) ordered up to arrive in August which will be cool. That old tired stock suspension has done its job and then some. :D

I'm not sure if this will help but my KZJ78 has a spacer and Aisin conversion. I recently rebuilt the knuckles and brakes. it had the press together style disc rotor and hub.

image.jpg
This is the left knuckle. The cone washers were seized. I got 2 of 4 off. I soaked them in wd40 and hopefully I can get it off tomorrow. Went at it with a brass drift for hours.

Does anyone have any ideas to get the cone washers loose? Heat?

Lee;)

Last edited:
I found this interesting. Previous to taking the right side apart I noticed diff oil leaking out big time. So bad it pooled on the ground. When I looked at the axle seal it was worn asymetrically with the top more worn than the bottom. I wondered if this was a result of the axle not being centered in the housing properly. When taking the knuckle apart, there were no shims on top and one on the bottom. Not sure If this will be a big deal and require the shims to be reset. Regardless Im using the marlin crawler seal so hopefully I can accomodate the axle being off centre slighly.

Relevant thread:
Knuckle centering tool necessary?

Otramms explains how to use a knuckle centering tool (found on youtube)

90332356-AA15-4504-A566-D2E6E36A081F.jpeg

Last edited:
7541AE4A-5445-4A17-B186-9F9B9F09F307.jpeg
When I did my knuckles, I had one set of cone washers that just wouldn’t pop loose no matter where or how hard I hit them. What I eventually had to do was take a small flat-tip screwdriver and gently tap it into the split of the cone washer to spread it apart. That allowed me to wiggle it and eventually coaxe it out. All the others came out fine. It was just one set that I had trouble with.

A3FB3F39-035B-4C1C-A780-BACD157C7D32.jpeg
Good advice. A combination of pounding bolt with brass hammer, hitting arm from below and on top and using flat head screwdriver on the slit of the cone washer worked. Left side is dismantled! The grease in there was like putty, the trunnion berrings were seized. Everything was dried out. Again no shims on top and one shim on bottom.

Im looking at renting or purchasing a knuckle centering tool. Theres one in the states for 185 usd. Before I do that, I also have a message out to someone about renting one from the club.

At the least without the centering tool, I can use my fish scale to make sure the trunnion bearing preload is set right. To do that Im thinking I would put it all back together , torque the nuts to 17 ft/pounds, attach the scale to the control arm , and pull perpendicular to the arm to make sure its between
spec.(6.6-13.2lbs). Im thinking if preload is too high, i would add shim thickness to top, if too low remove top shim thickness?

Last edited:
Front end parts disassembled, cleaned, and non mating surfaces painted with por-15
8361D357-68B8-4802-8A46-AACE2B48464C.jpeg

The adapters that convert the lj-78 to manual hubs have been ordered from Radd Cruisers. Ive decided to retain the lj-78 front end since my donor 80’s minitruck axle didn't pannout as planned (I was going to use the 80s spindles, wheel hub but they were a mixed bag of parts).

Lee

Last edited:
As a side project, I pulled the rear bumper. The plan is to clean off the rust, refab some sections of rear corner panel, por 15/ paint

CFEDD8AB-D163-4EA6-902D-9EEEDFE402BC.jpeg

028E3FF5-354B-4975-8230-131A6478D547.jpeg

Right on Lee! Nice to see you working on all this stuff! Those rear bumper side pieces are terrible for hiding rust. I need to take mine off and see what is lurking beneath also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom