Lee777 1991 LJ 78 Prado Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All

Ive been using my landcruiser as a daily driver and had run into some issues with the brakes locking up in the front. I took it into a local shop. The mechanics mentioned the liquid salt they put on bc roads can lead to brake cylinders sticking. They cleaned everything up and all was good. I was travelling over a pass when the left front wheel started locking up. It would release then lock up then finally to the point where the whole wheel stopped rolling and was skidding along the road. I figured it was just the brakes again. It loosened up, I drove it home slowly and pulled apart the hub. To my dismay, when I pulled off the power locking hub subassembly, the inside looked like a grenade went off. The power locking hub slip ring was melted, the little screws in them were rolled up into balls of metal. The slip ring in the subassembly deformed as well as the tracks milled into the subassembly.

I had to laugh. I should have had the truck towed home. Oh well. It astounds me what a beating these trucks take..given its condition, I was surprised I made it home. :) !

The axle hub/rotor has about 1 cm play in it forward and back as well as side to side. Once i get the large socket, ill pull it iff and inspect the berrings. Likely they are toast too.

Any ideas of the source of failure?

941EF7D0-DD98-484C-AB80-28EBA6EF9D6E.jpeg
DD5832E4-5E88-4BD7-ADC1-7DCE6D098081.jpeg
FBACC4D3-2975-4434-8454-81EF509EE4FB.jpeg
See attached pics

Ouch!! Glad it did not cause an accident. Did the mechanics change your front brake rotors too? If so, this might have something to do with how they put everything back together.

I'd say it's a good opportunity to go for manual hubs now though. Try to find used spindles/hubs (manual) from another parts landcruiser and swap them onto your axle. I don't know off hand exactly what years are interchangeable, but I think the late 60 series and early 70 series would work. I've heard the solid axle toyota pickup spindle/hub works as well.

Hey Nick, thats a good idea, I wonder if the manual hubs would be cheaper.

Oldblue, sorry that happened to you too, have you replaced your hubs since? If so what parts did you replace? . Ill be sure to set the preload properly on the reinstall. I should problay check the preload on the other side too to make sure its not going the same route!

Lee

Also make sure that you have grease in both wheel bearings, the outer bearing requires removing the outer grease seal to repack it. Make sure you put a little bit of oil inside the hub where the inside rotates in the outer body.

Lee777 - Any toyota mini truck spindles will bolt onto your axle. I did this swap a few years ago. I used Knuckles, Spindles and locking hubs from a 84 pickup and retained my prado birfs

Lee777 - Any toyota mini truck spindles will bolt onto your axle. I did this swap a few years ago. I used Knuckles, Spindles and locking hubs from a 84 pickup and retained my prado birfs

It looks like my spindle is damaged so it will have to be replaced.

I have a line on what looks to be a solid front axle off a 85 toyota pickup. Is it possible to keep the prado knuckles and bolt on the ‘85 spindles, wheel hub, and locking hub?

Thanks!
Lee

They are not the same. If it we’re me I’d swap the knuckles and all off the 85 axle. That will give you more reliable hubs and it all is a direct swap.

Where are you located? If you don’t want rock go that route I might still have my old spindles from when when I did my conversion.

I have a line on what looks to be a solid front axle off a 85 toyota pickup. Is it possible to keep the prado knuckles and bolt on the ‘85 spindles, wheel hub, and locking hub?

Thanks!
Lee

I'm running spacers and Aisin hubs, if i had the choice to do it all again i'd go the knuckles and stubs option - I really don't like the preload system on the stock hubs and the torx bolts are easy to strip. I have no reason not to trust the spacers but my gut tells me that more fastners means more potential for undesired loosening!

I once had my truck WOF'd (compulsory 6 month safety inspection here in NZ), and it needed the bearings tightened. The mechanic managed to mangle the torx screws and install the out hub dial cattywampus/upside down so you couldn't lock the hub. Last time i used that mechanic!

They are not the same. If it we’re me I’d swap the knuckles and all off the 85 axle. That will give you more reliable hubs and it all is a direct swap.

Where are you located? If you don’t want rock go that route I might still have my old spindles from when when I did my conversion.

Postoy, for sure. I want to do it right. I’ll replace with all ‘85 knuckles, spindle, and hub. I need to replace that inner axle seal anyway so may as well swap everything. I have some time off coming up and the missus is on board. The cruiser gods are pleased.

Im going to pick up the axle sometime this week. The owner is not sure of the exact year. When I take it apart, I wonder if there are any identifying features that would help ID it. My concern is when I go to buy the knuckle rebuild kit, I want to ensure I get the right parts.

Ill post some pics.

Good plan. I’m pretty sure the re build kits are all the same for the mini trucks.

The 85 will have a full length truss on the long section of the axle compared to the older years. I’ll post some pictures after work.

Make sure to get the marlin HD inner axle seal. I might have that part number at home.

If you find it hard to undo the torx screws on the slip ring, a couple of hits with a flat ended punch does wonders.

Eventually i replaced the stripped ones when I did the swivel hub rebuild and wheel bearings. Lots of anti-sieze!

Thanks!
Lee

I used Prado knuckles + Hilux/pickup spindles hubs etc. Not sure on the year of the donor Hilux but mid 80's probably. No problems, you just need to use some sealant to fill the groove in the spindle mounting surface where the wires used to go into the spindle.

Details here: Clints Cruiser Project - Page 2 - Offroad-Express

Cheers
Clint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom