1991 LC80 barely moves under own power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys!
Well I bought a 1991 LC80 last month site unseen. ;) It has 250k on it and "looks" great.
How ever when the flat bed rolled up, the LC started and idled decent but would not pull itself off the trailer. It will rev up to 2000rpm in neutral if I go very slowly on the accelerator.
Looks like someone changed the fuel filter recently. I am not too familiar with these older 80s and am still waiting on my manual to come in. Any ideas would help. I feel like it could be something simple, but am scared to ask a mechanic yet.
Thanks guys!

Drop it in to low range and see if it moves any easier. If it does check your front drive flanges. If it doesn't make any difference check underneath for driveshafts.

Sounds like the intake hose is cracked and the engine is bogging.

Could be a million things honestly. Your really going to need some mechanical knowledge to get something like that figured out. I would start by checking codes.
Yeah. I figured that would be the case. Just hoping for a list of stuff to start checking off. This is my first 91 lc80

I had another truck that behaved like this once and it was due to a problem with the distributor -- the rotor had failed partially and damaged the cap and points, but still spun enough for it to kind of run.

Since you have no history on this vehicle, the first thing that comes to mind is fuel delivery and air flow.
How long has this vehicle sat?
How old is the fuel in the tank?
Does the air filter have a rats nest inside?
I would be looking at the most basic of items first. Fuel, air, spark.

I had another truck that behaved like this once and it was due to a problem with the distributor -- the rotor had failed partially and damaged the cap and points, but still spun enough for it to kind of run.
Good call. I will check the dist , cap and rotor.

Since you have no history on this vehicle, the first thing that comes to mind is fuel delivery and air flow.
How long has this vehicle sat?
How old is the fuel in the tank?
Does the air filter have a rats nest inside?
I would be looking at the most basic of items first. Fuel, air, spark.
Thanks man.
The truck was bought at auction unfortunately, so history is limited.
Bad fuel is def a possibility.
Air filter looks good.
I am wondering about fuel pressure. maybe a bad pump or regulator?

Thanks man.
The truck was bought at auction unfortunately, so history is limited.
Bad fuel is def a possibility.
Air filter looks good.
I am wondering about fuel pressure. maybe a bad pump or regulator?
You can continue to throw darts and guess, or you can do some diagnostics. Until you get your hands dirty it's all just guesswork. At the risk of sounding self serving, I suggest picking up the Toyota FSM and EWD. Link is in my signature.

You can continue to throw darts and guess, or you can do some diagnostics. Until you get your hands dirty it's all just guesswork. At the risk of sounding self serving, I suggest picking up the Toyota FSM and EWD. Link is in my signature.
Thanks. My manual should be here any day now. But I may check yours out too.

Owners Manual & repair manual are very different. One teaches functions & operation. The other will teach a man to fish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom