1991 Land Cruiser not starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello fellow members. Hoping to find an answer to my issue.
Picked up a 1991 FJ80 with 250k miles from a member here to give to my brother.
According to previous owner, truck died within a quarter mile after he started experiencing loss of power. Will not restart.
Things that have been done - compression tested good across all cylinders, spark was tested with test light and grounding method (I only did 1 plug, previous owner says he tested all 6), firing order verified, EFI relay swapped with one out of my 96 with no effect, relay in kick panel clicks, there's fuel pressure as far as cold start injector. This is where it gets interesting. I haven't checked for actual PSI but it gushes out while cranking pretty good. When return line fitting is removed from fuel pressure regulator - no fuel comes out even while cranking. We squirted about 1/3 of starting fuel directly inside intake flap but it wouldn't start. Normally it "diesels" if I crank it for 5 sec and let go for about another 5 sec.
So in the end - compression and spark was there but vehicle didn't start even when forcing starting fluid into it.
Should I start looking at igniter module? Is it normal not to have any fuel come out of fuel pressure regulator? Is timing off and why would it be off if it ran fine?

I already said I can get fuel up to cold start injector. I can’t get any fuel coming from return line on fuel pressure regulator. Not sure if fuel is suppose to come out of return line normally.
I bought the truck dead here on mud

Hello fellow members. Hoping to find an answer to my issue.
Picked up a 1991 FJ80 with 250k miles from a member here to give to my brother.
According to previous owner, truck died within a quarter mile after he started experiencing loss of power. Will not restart.
Things that have been done - compression tested good across all cylinders, spark was tested with test light and grounding method (I only did 1 plug, previous owner says he tested all 6), firing order verified, EFI relay swapped with one out of my 96 with no effect, relay in kick panel clicks, there's fuel pressure as far as cold start injector. This is where it gets interesting. I haven't checked for actual PSI but it gushes out while cranking pretty good. When return line fitting is removed from fuel pressure regulator - no fuel comes out even while cranking. We squirted about 1/3 of starting fuel directly inside intake flap but it wouldn't start. Normally it "diesels" if I crank it for 5 sec and let go for about another 5 sec.
So in the end - compression and spark was there but vehicle didn't start even when forcing starting fluid into it.
Should I start looking at igniter module? Is it normal not to have any fuel come out of fuel pressure regulator? Is timing off and why would it be off if it ran fine?
Don't over-complicate this engine.
This is a fuel injected tractor motor. Check the basic things first.
Condition of cap/rotor.
Condition of plug wires.
There are 3 fusible links off the positive battery terminal. The one that goes to the grey connector (AM2) supplies power to the injectors.

Don't over-complicate this engine.
This is a fuel injected tractor motor. Check the basic things first.
Condition of cap/rotor.
Condition of plug wires.
There are 3 fusible links off the positive battery terminal. The one that goes to the grey connector (AM2) supplies power to the injectors.
Cap and rotor are new-ish, so are the wires and plugs. I haven’t checked the fuse links though.
Thanks for the tip

Cap and rotor are new-ish, so are the wires and plugs. I haven’t checked the fuse links though.
Thanks for the tip
New-ish means nothing. Look at the condition of the center button inside the cap. I had one that was worn down to a nub.
Put a meter on the plug wires and make sure they're within spec.
Always use OEM parts when you can. Aftermarket ignition parts are more trouble than the few pennies it will save you.

Assuming that plugs, cap, rotor and wires are good, what other possibilities?

Did you check the starter, is it factory or aftermarket? Plunger could have broken. Mine did like seven times until I went back to a factory starter

Did you check the starter, is it factory or aftermarket? Plunger could have broken. Mine did like seven times until I went back to a factory starter
I don’t have a problem with cranking the engine.

So I decided to take a look at timing. Moved distributor about 30 degrees and she fired up for a few seconds. I’m guessing it’s the culprit. Going to set it to TDC and set the dizzy. Fingers crossed.

Timing shouldn't have changed unless there are bigger issues (timing gears/cam) my guess is a non factor cap and rotor not playing nice together. You moving the cap just got them to work together for a min. Replace the cap and rotor with factory components and then use a timing light and the fsm to set base timing (you can advance it to get some more pep out of the engine if you want). I went through this same issue shortly after getting my 91 fj80

Timing shouldn't have changed unless there are bigger issues (timing gears/cam) my guess is a non factor cap and rotor not playing nice together. You moving the cap just got them to work together for a min. Replace the cap and rotor with factory components and then use a timing light and the fsm to set base timing (you can advance it to get some more pep out of the engine if you want). I went through this same issue shortly after getting my 91 fj80
Going to be a fun day in NorCal doing it in 100 weather. Beers and Russian cussing will be involved. Plus I have to deal with p0401 on my 95.

Update on this - I found out what the problem is. Pulled the distributor and noticed that roll pin is missing. Fawk!!! I can see a small piece inside where the dizzy sits, pulled oil pan (major PITA) and found remaining pieces. I think the motor is safe.
Does anyone have a part number for roll pin? Or dimentions? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom