Builds 1991 - HZJ75 Troopy Camper Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Promised everyone in the classifieds that I would start a build thread for this given it's a fairly well known rig around these parts. She was originally imported by @PNWScooby with less 14K original KM's and sold to @jmlockwood after a some basic upgrades and TLC. John added some tasteful bits before apparently losing his ******* mind and selling to me :) (also after removing those Scheelmann seats apparently) She's wearing Oregon plates again and I couldn't be more stoked. The original thread can be found here:

We had a bit of an auspicious start when the carrier arrived in Portland 2 days ahead of schedule and I was out of town on business. Ended up having to send my mom out with the $1500 COD and her .38 special to meet the Russian truck driver, and then her partner had to figure out the RHD real quick so she could shuttle an unplated extremely conspicuous vehicle back across town. The fun didn't stop at the DMV where the paint huffer who was tasked with the VIN verification couldn't wrap her extremely tiny brain around the fact that there was no VIN plate on the dash. I ended up having to drive 3 hours south to have Oregon State Police put it on a lift and check all the frame stamps...FML. Barely made it back through DMV for Easter weekend camping trip.

Spent last week looking for whatever scraps of surf there might be down the coast in California, and got to get her dirty on some of the limited tracks in Big Sur. To be honest this thing really doesn't NEED anything, but what would be the fun in that? hahaha. So far all I've done is add a Ferro Concepts Truck Ruck, which I would recommend over the old Trasharoo if anybody is looking for spare tire storage. First priorities:

• Turbo/Intercooler - I'm hesitant to boost such a low mileage engine, but coming over the passes she could really use it. John passed along a Garrett 2860R and an anonymous water to air intercooler, but I need to put together the rest of parts somehow. So far I've been extremely unlucky with any Aussie vendors. They either aren't interested in shipping, aren't interested in selling me a kit minus a turbo, or just generally not helpful. If anybody has recommendation on somebody stateside that can guide me on this I sure would appreciate it. I'm not against selling the Garrett and going with another solution if it makes sense

• Interior Build Out - I love what @umpqua has done with his interior, but I don't know if I can justify the GooseGear pricetag. I have a buddy that builds custome cabinetry and he's excited about the idea of working on this. As luck would have it he also has access to an industrial CNC table and thinks we can get similar results to what GooseGear is doing anyway.

• Roof and Tent - While I'm intrigued by the Alucab conversion I'm really struggling with the idea of taking a can opener to such a low mileage Cruiser. Waiting on details of a West Coast group buy that might put the price in "can't afford to not do" territory. Option B would be Ez-Awn K9 and a RTT of some kind.
Look forward to documenting this process and meeting new folks in this community - also getting trucks dirty, bruising knuckles, and drinking beer! I'm going to try and get better about snapping photos, but I guess I'm not cut out to be a millenial since mostly I just like to enjoy adventures without a camera in my hand.

Either way, you got a killer rig at a killer price.

FWIW...The price on the EBAY auction when it ended doesn't tell the whole story. We came to an arrangement that allowed the seller to comfortably end the auction and for me to not miss out on buying this a second time.

That's a beautiful truck, no doubt about it; congratulations! I'm glad that John worked with you to keep it in the Mud "family."

I agree that cutting into a perfectly good Troopy top is counterintuitive to everything that is reasonable. What I CAN tell you though is that it totally changes the truck in what I think is a "very" good way. I'd hang in there and see what Lukas can come up with and hopefully it will bring the price down to a point where it makes better sense.

I think that Brian at Goose Gear did a very good job on the interior build out but if you go that way I can tell you that he is going to want to have your truck in Huntington Beach for the work. This is not a cookie cutter design like he does for Tacoma's and is a custom job in every sense of the word. I'd find a lot of value in working with someone local so that you can visit when a question comes up about design...because there will be questions. Brian was patient enough with me to allow me to basically live at his shop for a week while they were doing the work. I was very happy I was there as it allowed me to make collaborative suggestions that worked to improve the build. Kinda hard to do that from a thousand miles away....not like you can pop in for a consult.

Great seeing the Troopy back in Portland where it belongs and I look forward to seeing it and meeting you in the real world.

Rodney.

Sick troopy man! I was following that thing when it was for sale, it's mint... Glad it went to a good home and somebody who will be using it.

Also, this is the first I'm hearing about this Alu-cab group buy... I might be interested in getting in on that if possible?

@destructomatt have you looked at PDI intercoolers in Aus?

Also, I’ll do some looking for the info on this group that built out the rear interior panels and the storage box. They are based in Portland and actually do some work on Sprinter conversions.

Oh, and I am so happy you are the new owner.

@destructomatt have you looked at PDI intercoolers in Aus?

Yeah, that's the direction I was planning to go even though probably a bit more labor with with relocating the ac lines and such. The big issue I'm having is finding the rest of the bits for the turbo install.

Just had templates measure for insulated window shades from Strawfoot Handmade in Santa Cruz. They'll have the sizes on file for anybody else interested. Doing entire rear cab, and bug screens for front windows. They have captive magnets and the covers for the side windows will have articulations so you can open the sliders if you want. Will share results when they are done in a couple weeks.

Hey guys. Just a quick update as I'm out of town working (what else is new) and materials just arrived to Portland to start building out the back. Luckily my buddy and builder got a chance to do some work for @umpqua and we were able to incorporate some of his good ideas, and get feedback on what didn't work.

There were a few simple priorities:

1. Light and strong
2. Be able to sit down inside without popping the top
3. Be able to stealth camp without popping the top
4. Clear walkway from front to back
5. Area for surfboards that doesn't require moving them to access drawers and storage.
6. Fridge access from the drivers seat for 100% non-alcoholic beverages of course

Materials:

We ended up going with the 80/20 aluminum extrusions similar to what GooseGear does. A lot of the cost associated with that system is their proprietary connectors, but we were able to machine/fab our own in most cases. Drawer fronts and cabinet sides will be made from Okoume plywood. My dad is a long time boat builder and suggested this when I discussed the project with him.

I had to order a new fridge since the way the lid opens on the ARB is problematic for where we wanted it. Ended up going with Dometic CFX 50. More pictures coming in the next few days.

IMG_2835.jpeg
IMG_3033.jpeg
IMG_3030.jpeg

IMG_2782.jpeg

Seeing the pic of my troopy backed up to yours made me laugh. Well, at least the two to them have met.

It was a real pleasure meeting Dana your builder. I have very little doubt that he's going to do a great job for you. I'm sure I mentioned it but having a local builder is going to be an advantage. Questions are going to come up during the build and it's a LOT easier to drive down the street, take a look an provide input.

Okoume is the ply that was used in my build. Light, easy to work with and it's holding up.

I will follow along here.

Yeah, I'm sending the deposit tomorrow.

I sent my mine as well. Chop top party! Now the agonizing 3 month wait. :( On the bright side, the boxes in the back are all framed out. Waiting now on some drawer slides and some other bits.

Wow, this is coming along. I'll follow but would love to take a look at any point in the construction. Dana is going to do a great job for you.

Accuride Slides? Seems to be the go to although I really like the high density plastic ones in my 62.

Also...does anybody know how to add that "Build" label to the tread title? Im tryin to be fancy ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom