For Sale SOLD - 1991 HDJ81 - 88k miles VX Limited (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm testing waters again on this. I received the title from state of Texas and fixed a few things since last time I posted this.
Update - Price Drop!
I've reluctantly decided to sell this as we are moving for a new job soon and I won't really have time to continue my plans for this. This truck is completely stock and was recently baselined with all new fluids, brakes and a rebuilt front axle. This will make an awesome platform for a family expedition rig with the reliability and torque of the Toyota turbodiesel and ruggedness of the 80 series 4wd chassis.

I imported this truck this last May from Japan and have had all the EPA, DOT paperwork completed. All import / pertinent documents will also be provided with the sale. Passed TX inspections and we have the Texas title in hand.

$12,500 o.b.o.

Specs:
88,000 miles (142,000 km)
1HDT Toyota turbo diesel engine (stock 164 hp @ 3600 rpm with 267 lb·ft at 1400 rpm )
A442F transmission (fully hydraulic control)
4wd - LSD in rear, center diff lock only (no f /r lockers)
VX-LTD trim (center factory fridge/ice maker, auto climate control, sunroof, cruise, p/w, etc.)
Rear-mounted spare tire carrier and full-size matching spare (tire is old)
Standard 4-wheel disks, full floating rear axle
Factory floor mats, cargo cover, toolkit and traffic triangle included.

Recent repairs:
Big end bearings and con-rod bolts replaced (Toyota)
Front axle fully rebuilt- Marlin seals, new wheel bearings w/ synthetic grease, new trunion bearings
Two new matching batteries
Fluids replaced - ATF , brakes , Front/rear axles (Mobil 1), differential, engine oil (Mobil Delvac MX F2)
New Fuel, oil, and air filters (Toyota)
Front end aligned
New accessory belts
New front brake pads, rotors
Rebuilt ignition lock cylinder to match the doors - includes set of 3 new keys
Timing belt (100,000 km)

Work remaining to be done:
A/C system (R12) has no pressure - I have enough cans of R12 to be able recharge the system after any leaks are fixed. These can be included in the sale if desiring to keep the R12 system intact.

Tires on it are older winter tires (I had them balanced and they have plenty of tread, but they're too old to drive on long term). I have a set of 5 good 16" 94+Land Cruiser wheels (15 inch's currently installed) with brand new, Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires all balanced and ready to install on the Cruiser. With these wheels/ new tires installed, the asking price is 13,000.

Paint attention needed - body is straight as far as dents go, but there's a lot of clear coat fade on hood and roof, scratches on fender flares and some peeling on the right front fender which may have been repainted.
Underneath, an area or two of light surface rust and light rust on some bolt heads.

Overall this is a solid ride and is surprisingly quiet on the road. The interior is fully intact and in good overall shape. I've owned 3 diesels now and this one has the healthiest motor I've experienced yet - there is no blow-by and it shuts down, drives and feels like it has excellent compression. I have not taken it on any off-road excursions, but have driven it to work daily for the last few months and taken it on a few long trips from Austin to Houston, and San Antonio.

I also have a complete set of 3rd row seats, the seat belts and the brackets to install them to increase the carrying capacity to 8-passengers. These can also be included with the sale, if wanted.

Please let me know if you'd like to come have a look. Text / Call me at four eight O-848-2l99 We'll be leaving town by the 17th of Oct.

Last edited:
Alignment before and after. Scallop shape on tire tread edges appears to be due to normal wear from driving / turning as it has not progress more than this.

right_front_slight_cupping.jpg

alignment_numbers_hdj81.jpg

Last edited:
Got the title and it is now back on the market.
I'll be taking this off the market for now, at least temporarily. I was planning to sell it and just hand over all the import paperwork with a bill of sale. But I found out, at least in Texas, it needs a title in my name before I can sell to anyone else. This will take a few weeks to come in the mail - I've just been using a temp registration to drive around. In the mean time I'll also be getting the R12 A/C system repaired which will be an important selling factor for people as I've been hearing.

Last edited:
This is back on the market again until Oct 17th (when we'll be moving). I had been waiting to receive the Texas title in the mail and now have it. I've also fixed a few things in the mean time like changing out the big-end bearings. The topmost post contains more info.

Price drop!
I also have a set of 5 brand new/ balanced Goodyear Wrangler Authority 265/75r16 load 'C' tires on 94+ Land Cruiser 16: wheels that I can swap over onto it. Price with these installed would be 13,000 obo . I'll try to get some pictures posted soon.

Last edited:
Update - Just sold , along with tires and everything together! Thanks for the interest.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom